1/48 Hasegawa F4U-5's and good memories.

VMF211

I never met Jim Sullivan but I still call him a friend. We first got in contact with each other back in 2012 due to a question I asked about F4U-1's (Go figure, Jim answering a question about Corsairs!) in GSB. He also helped me in picking up one of these -5's in a trade (For a Hasegawa P2V7 he was going to convert to a P2V5)....then proceded to ask what unit & markings I was going to do. Of course he had almost every pic. I could hope for. We kept in touch due to him answering WAY too many of my questions and not just about F4U's but also my PBY, AD-6, SBD among others. We both swore to never build another Monogram 1/48 PBY and yet, strangely enough, we both had another in the stash! I was informed that Jim passed away on Friday the 12th and to say I was shocked is an understatement. A few pics I'd like share are the three Hasegawa F4U's Jim helped me with...if only I could build like him, they would look better. You will be missed, rest in peace my friend.

F4U-5N

image.thumb.jpeg.38375c2dacf147183931a6c65f3e7501.jpeg

F4U-5NL

image.thumb.jpeg.321a41724c572fbf6bf341725576d1d5.jpeg

F4U AU-1

image.thumb.jpeg.de1e7e6133b7f5c65b538dd6ad382443.jpeg

This is Jim's 48th PBY....unique marking scheme.

image.thumb.jpeg.4637720e9d15e82f2adc715dc567b3d3.jpeg

And Jim's 32nd Matchbox SBD that he scratched out an interior!

image.thumb.jpeg.1128b9d66509f0be3cbe13b27784451d.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow... to start with, the models look great despite what you said!

Jim will indeed be missed! One of the greatest treasures in my life are the friendships I've been blessed enough to form through IPMS for over 40yrs. While most of the closest came through my local clubs, I also have friends that I'm lucky to see once every couple of years at the Nats. That doesn't keep me from saying we've been friends for those 40+yrs! And there's a few I've yet to meet face to face too. Looking forward to that day, if and when it happens.

It's hard to convince non-members of such an intangible benefit to being in IPMS. To me, it's THE biggest benefit of being a member, though it takes time to realize it and gain from it.

Unfortunately, we're a graying society for the most part. My local club has lost no less than 8 people in the last 15yrs. There's at least another 5-10 who've passed that I only knew from local and regional shows, as well as the Nats. 

Thanks for your post. It goes to the heart of how we should all feel; grateful for the time that we are given to be friends with people like Jim!

Gil :cool:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

Those are some great looking builds! Sorry for your loss of a friend. But he lives on with his contributions in your modeling work. 

• Like 1