Suggestions for beginners....or anyone.

Dakimbrell

1) Start a logbook to list when you started or finished a model. It will help you keep track of the multiple projects.

2) Note the date of purchase on the new model's box. You will be shocked down the line when you check the date.

3) Sign and date the base of your model.  (Before the model is attached!) It helps make sure you are the owner and when you built           the project.

4) Start keeping a personal journal on your model work. You will find looking back a few years helpful and interesting.

5) Take pictures of your finished model with your mobile phone. Being able to show your work/hobby/art to others makes life                      interesting and surprisingly entertaining.

Dak

EXCELLENT suggestions for everyone, but especially if you're just getting started!

I have a simple logbook where I only listed the kit manufacturer, scale, subject, and date competed; and have done so for the last 40yrs now. It's useful, enjoyable, and sometimes astounding to go back through to see how long ago a model was built or see how many you've been averaging each year. I think my last build was #361 since I began keeping records.

I've only occasionally written the purchase date on a model box, but as David said, I was recently astounded when I pulled one out to start it last month that I'd recorded as bought at the IPMS Nats in 2002! And sadly, I know it's no where near the oldest in my stash......

Making some notes of your build is a very good habit to start, especially if you use any aftermarket parts. A few years from now you may forget exactly what was used and your notes will be there to refresh your memory. You can do it in your logbook, or simply on the instruction sheet (which I usually keep).

Taking pictures of your "babies" is also a great way to add to your hobby. You'll find that over the years you'll lose some of your builds, either to breakage, giving as gifts, or even selling them. But, you'll still have a pic of your build to remind you and to hold its place in your model building journey. And, as David points out, it'll enable you to share your work with others outside of your ability to show them to friends, fellow club members, and at shows.

Gil :cool:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

This is basically what I do, except that it's all digital, tracked in a spreadsheet (extra bonus statistics!), and grouped into subfolders (by category and subject) along with links to online references, photos I've copied, scans of reference material, etc. I find it easier to manage than a stack of paper. But that's me. Normal people probably wouldn't go that far.

mas

Edited by MAShelley
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dakimbrell said:

After the world collapses you will lose all you information. 🤪

Dak

Or losing a harddrive. 

I had all my stuff on scalemates, and my account messed up, so I had to redo all my I save copies of my stuff in multiple locations now.

• Like 2