LF: Intell on 1980's era SAC Security Police vehicles

VonL

Another strange model concept in work...

For some time, I've admired this PJ Productions kit from afar: http://www.pjproduction.net/index.php?productID=228

It looks a lot like the Security Police vehicles that I recall seeing on the SAC alert pad in the late 1980's. Given the absence of a 1/72 Peacekeeper (the armored version), is this PJ Productions product a suitable starting point for an SP vehicle to sit next to Mr. BUFF, Mr. BONE, or Mr. TOAD? If so, where might I find some good reference pix of the necessary mods, such as the light bar, console/gun rack, unit markings, etc?

Thanx for any help here.

That sure looks like the pickups that the SPs used in Europe. The ones oiver there just had the USAF licence plate front and back and that was it for markings if I remember corectly. Some had light bars some didn't, and most used a "brick" radio. So just plonk in a M-16 and a MOBag in the back and call it good.

Thanx for the response. Your memories do align with mine. I also recall these vehicles being dark blue (that USAF blue with a little green in it? Similar to MM Blue Angles blue?). They also had some sort of generic data block in yellow print, on the doors. It said something like: "Property of...", or "For Official Use Only", plus a vehicle serial number and a third/fourth line citing a reg or unit...?

Edited by VonL

Bob,

That might have been in the US, but in Europe (Bentwaters & Woodbridge in England and Sembach in Germany) they were the three-tone camo with black registration numbers on plates front & rear, that was it from what I remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys:

I was stateside in the early 70s in Security Police, and I do remember the trucks and blazers being more Dodges than Chevies. They switched as the companies had deals with the DoD. I'm sure those would be alright for use in a display with any of the mentioned planes, even some Fighter types. Have fun.

The Army used the Chevy pick up in all it's forms. Blazer, single rear and double rear. They were great vehicles so I am sure the USAF was the same.

Mark

Thanx fellaz - I ordered a couple of these PJ Blazers and they are very nice! Good quality castings with no bubbles found so far and just a little flash. They have decent interior detail and plenty of interior space available for the SP's and their 'pro-gear'. Now to go find a few reference pix...

PJ's pickup truck looks good too, but I'm holding off on that. Would rather have a 6-pack version for the aircrew truck, if such a thing exists in 1/72.