Filling fuselage windows with clear resin

TomChoy

Hi everyone,

I've heard about using clear resin to fill the windows of a civil airliner fuselage, then sanding it smooth for a flush appearance. As far as I can tell, this is what I need to do:

1. rough up the interior so the clear resin has some grip.
  2. paint the inside of the fuselage and window frames.
  3. stick a piece of tape over the window and cut out the shape of the window, giving the resin a bit to stick out so it can be sanded flush later.
  4. stick a piece of tape larger than the window on the sticky side of a larger piece of tape, then stick this on the fuselage (effectively forming a barrier to keep the resin from flowing out, and a clear surface for it to form).
  5. pour clear resin into the inside of the fuselage
  6. let cure
  7. remove tape and sand smooth.

Would someone confirm the steps? Also I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for said clear resin. I'm building a 1/72 airliner, it doesn't look like the Micro Krystal Clear route is going to work for me.

Thanks in advance!

I have a friend who does resin windows this way and they turn out fine but when I do it I always wind up with a bubble or two and when I sand/polish them it winds up a pit in the window if I break through the surface. 

I've used a UV pen to cure my elegoo resin to fill gaps like wing roots on models, adding tiny amounts with a needle then zapping it and once even to block a pinhole in spray bottle as it kept me from having to buy another!

On 4/28/2023 at 9:20 AM, TomChoy said:

Thanks @Eric Aitala. Catch is, I'm doing large windows so I don't think I can use UV resin (though I do use that stuff and I've thought about it. I'll try getting it in the larger bottles and try it on something else.

Does it have to be resin?  I've had good luck with MicroScale Krystal Clear.

On 4/29/2023 at 4:18 PM, BWScholten said:

Does it have to be resin?  I've had good luck with MicroScale Krystal Clear.

It does unfortunately. I need it to be hard and crystal clear.

29 minutes ago, TomChoy said:

It does unfortunately. I need it to be hard and crystal clear.

Can you back the windows with tape, then fill the opening?  You might need to sand both sides but...

E

On 5/5/2023 at 10:56 AM, Eric Aitala said:

Can you back the windows with tape, then fill the opening?  You might need to sand both sides but...

E

That's what I plan to do. Probably no need to sand the inside as it'd be closed up.