1/35 B-4 203mm Howitzer 12 Hour Build Challenge

Stikpusher

Yes, it’s that time of year again. No not some silly game of grown men chasing a ball up and down a wooden floor. But it’s time for the annual So Cal AMPS 12 Hour build challenge. Yes, build a model from start to finish in three monthly four hour sessions during online Zoom meetings. Last month we presented our three candidate kits for the participants to vote on. This kit is what my fellow members voted for me to build- a 1/35 Eastern Express kit of the Soviet B-4 203mm Howitzer. The tracked carriage really gives it a look all its’ own.

5-F70649-D-D33-E-48-C7-8-ACD-4-E24-B4-CF

During today’s first four hour session, I was able to get most of the carriage base completed,

C01-A7704-BC23-4-D3-A-9-BE8-2-B92-DF7-EC

All of the breech and barrel assembly completed

242-CCA08-254-E-4127-93-FF-3004-A5-EF1-C

And I was able to get a good portion of the gun cradle assembled

B0460693-A7-B7-4567-8-F37-8989-D53-F292-

And of course, I had to test fit it all together

752-CED90-E114-4-FB2-9-E95-516314131-EE4

Next month we will have the next session and I should have most of the basic assembly completed…

• Like 2

Thanks Robert. The Trumpeter kit was a bit more expensive than my budget allowed when I bought this one. This one does have me questioning myself for putting this one forward for a 12 hour build candidate.

• Like 1

Nice start Carlos! ACE makes a 1/72 scale version of this that I hope to get soon. 

I'll do my first four hours on mine and will hopefully make all other meetings to stay in this.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Mark. Sorry to see that you were unable to make the Zoom session today. I’m looking forward to seeing your Braille Scale B-4 kit when you get around to it.

Today was session 2 of the 12 hour challenge. I deviated a bit from the instructions and concentrated on the tracked bogie units for the carriage. Between clean up of flash and ejector pin marks and the high parts count of the two units, that area took about 1 hour longer than I had thought, but I was still able to get them completed. I also build the spade assembly for the trail.

7-BD237-E9-6-F06-4-F3-D-A5-B1-0179678-D0

Then of course I had to test fit all of the assemblies completed so far…

06-AA662-C-7924-4-C86-8-DF7-B8-DDAC05-BA

Next month I should be able to get assembly completed, then painted, and call this beast done…. Then it will be the most impressive looking artillery piece on my towed artillery shelf.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Mark... it's a rough kit, and with more time I could have better addressed those areas...

Well, I got this beast wrapped up today. I was unable to attend the zoom meeting due to having family in town on the same day, but, the rules allow for one Mulligan. I did my make up session today, and at the four hour mark, I called this build done. There was a few more things I would like to have done weathering wise, but for the purpose of the Club 12 Hour Challenge, I'm calling it done.

IMG-8161.jpg

IMG-8163.jpg

I'll get a full view post up shortly.

Here are more photos of the Sledgehammer. There is a bit more I would like to have done, but with all the clean up needing to be done on this beast during construction, this was as good as I could do within the time allotted. To put it nicely, this kit is not for the faint of heart, modeling skills required. I built it OOB, painted it with Tamiya lacquers, and weathered with Tamiya acrylics. It looks fair enough from 2-3 feet away, but up close the time constraints show...

IMG-8168.jpg

IMG-8166.jpg

IMG-8165.jpg

IMG-8167.jpg

IMG-8162.jpg

IMG-8164.jpg

Thanks for looking 

That rocks Carlos! Yeah, I missed too many meetings for the 12-hour challenge so I'm just gonna finish mine as and when I can.  This is indeed most impressive. I am now motivated to go look for the ACE kit in 1/72 scale now that I got paid.

Mark, ya gotta get yourself the 1/72 kit! It’ll look great with the rest of your Braille Scale Red Army.. And thank you my old friend. Too bad missed too many meetings. The club zoom meetings are always a blast. And great to catch up with you bums!

Thank you Carlos; yeah, I hope to get shopping soon. I might even make this next Zoom meeting, but we'll see. I never expect anything anymore, except that the unexpected will always jump in the way.

Mark, I hope to see you at the Zoom meeting tomorrow. 🤞🏼Always a good time getting together with that crew, even if it is online. 

Good to see you in the club zoom meeting today Mark!

12 Hour Build Challenge results… 8 started, three completed, this one took first place.

Victory is mine!

IMG-4639.gif

and a gift certificate to Brookhurst Hobbies 

• 2 weeks later...

Mark and Rob, thank you.

Mark I sure do enjoy those Zoom club meetings. Always a good time to be had in those! And always fun to see the old crew.