Fantastic Plastic's Convair KingFish

Roktman

This latest kit is another to add to my prototypes/experimental/ or never was planes. It's the Convair KingFish in 1:144 scale from Fantastic Plastic. The kit comes in 29 resin parts, and is patterned and cast by Anigrand Craftwork[1]. Good to see they they are sort of still in business.

In 1957 there was a contest to replace the U2 spy plane. The contest came down to Convair's KingFish and Lockheed's A-12, which would eventually became the SR-71. Giving this little piece of the story away, you know how this ends.  Work on the KingFish continued for a few more months afterward, but when the money ran out, the project was cancelled. 

IMG_4159.jpg.0b4f0340af7315ea392f4b65622a99ed.jpgIMG_4160.jpg.8aa3ce5d04f455fd61b7517fc2167ddf.jpg

Thanks for looking.   An abbreviated build log is here: http://kevtk.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-1144-convair-kingfish.html

Very nice! I was not at all aware of this prototype, and it's amazing just how modern many of its features appear and mimic features of the newer "gen 5" planes. Thanks for posting!

Gil :cool:

Wow, I learned something again! I never knew there was a contender against the SR-71. This is an attractive plane that almost looks like the Stealth Fighter in many ways! What a fantastically beautiful bird!

Thanks guys!

To my limited knowledge, it never really got passe the mock-up stage, but yes it has a lot of the characteristics of today's stealth planes. Maybe a fan of old time prototypes was in the designing dept. of these modern aircraft offices?  😉