Eduard Bf110 E --- COMPLETED!!!

rossjr

I am an administrator over on forums.scalehobby.com, we have a Recession Buster Build Along started and the theme is pretty open. It's any Pre-Vietnam War Military Aircraft. That leaves quite a bit of an opening from WWI, WWII and even Korea. After many times looking through the stash, I decided on the 1/48th Scale Eduard Bf110E Profil Pak. I just got the C kit from Dad in a trade so I thought I'd build my open kit.

01_Parts.jpg

So this weekend I took and sprayed most of the interior pices I could find with RLM02 so that they would be ready for construction. I finished the first step which is basically the cockpit so here are some pics...

02_Office.jpg

03_Office.jpg

04_Office.jpg

This is out of the box so far and I have yet to do any washes or dry brushing. Just some basic paint and construction at this point... Probably won't get anything don tomorrow night because of bowling and the Vikings/Packers Game.... Go Vikes!!!

Edited by rossjr

OK, so I finally got some time to get some work done today as well as some pictures. Things are moving along...

So I mainly worked on the section that sits behind the cockpit. The kit fits pretty well so far, however they do drive me nuts with some of the parts for the sake of parts they do...

05_Gun_Deck.jpg

06_Gun_Deck.jpg

07_Gun_Deck.jpg

05_Gun_Deck.jpg

With both of those sections complete I can now button up the fuselage, but first a couple of shots...

09_Closing.jpg

10_Closing.jpg

I understand what you mean by "parts for the sake of parts"....but having had to scratchbuild a few "rear" cockpits that needed radios and spare magazines; it looks like Eduard covered all the bases. Nice detail painting!

GIL :smiley16:

I understand what you mean by "parts for the sake of parts"....but having had to scratchbuild a few "rear" cockpits that needed radios and spare magazines; it looks like Eduard covered all the bases. Nice detail painting!

Thanks, I don't have an issue with Radios and other items of interest, I am referring to things like the ammo cans and having to glue a small disk into it. Part of the support bar that needs a tiny small plastic rectangle added. Not listed as an optional part and you cut up your fingers trying to clean the part, or worse yet you launch it... :smiley23: Other than it's a really nice build so far... :smiley20:

Sorry no pictures at this point. I got the nose closed up and the seams on the fuselage cleaned up.

After talking with a lot of people on this kit, I had gotten to the point everyone warned me about, fitting the nacelles to the wings. I found that one of mine fit just fine and the other looks like it went through the dryer too many times, it a bit short, so I have some filling to take care of... I am going to try and take some before and after shots so bear with me....

Bear with you?? Heck, I have an on-line build here dating from last MAY!! I think ya got PLENTY of time.....don't worry about us! Get it right and make yourself happy in the process. I know I'm enjoying your pics!

• 4 weeks later...

Since I already had two posts promising more pictures I thought I better get a liittel caught up...

As everyone that has buit this kit has told me the biggest issue is the fit of the nacelles. Here are a couple of pictures of what I ended up with for fixes:

11_Fix.jpg

12_Fix.jpg

So those are a couple of befores and here are a couple of afters, ready for paint:

13_Primer.jpg

14_Primer.jpg

These last shots are after I have painted the model put a coat of clear gloss and the decals. It's ready for it's second coat of clear before I start with the washes and everything. A couple of suggestions for others building the kit 1) My decals were a bit brittle so besure to use lots of water and patience. 2) Follow the instructions regarding the installation of the exhaust stacks. I tried to do mine after the fact and it made it a lot more difficult than I thought it woud...

15_Decals.jpg

16_Decals.jpg

17_Decals.jpg

Nice 110! Is that one of Wolfgang Falck's night fighters? I got to listen to him lecture at one of the IPMS Nats many years ago. His english was quite good and he was very entertaining.

Someone asked him "what was it like night fighting in WWII with little or no radar"? Wolfgang replied:"Turn out all of the lights in this room and then try to catch a fly"!

Please post the final pics after your weathering is done. That's a sharp looking machine!

nice job. and this is a wonderful kit and i am keeping thinking how to get it with a price i can handle. :) still not successful yet.

some questions are:

1. the color looks a little to dark blue, i am not sure if it is for night fighter.

2. the cockpit window, did you paint them? or it looks like not transparent.

hope to see some other good work, too.

nice job. and this is a wonderful kit and i am keeping thinking how to get it with a price i can handle. :) still not successful yet.

some questions are:

1. the color looks a little to dark blue, i am not sure if it is for night fighter.

2. the cockpit window, did you paint them? or it looks like not transparent.

hope to see some other good work, too.

1. This is painted as a night fighter and the bottom is painted Black...

2. This is still a work in progress so the windows are still masked, so no they are not currently transparent...

I am going to try and wrap things up this weekend...

Here she is, finally complete... Enjoy!

18_Complete.jpg

19_Complete.jpg

Here is a close up of the pre-shading I was talking about...

20_Preshade.jpg

Finally the office....

21_Office.jpg

22_Office.jpg

That was entirely to fast! I'm starting to feel the need to get back to the bench. Beautiful work. Thanks for posting your progress as you went.

Chris