Difficulty Applying Foil

TonyD

I'm building the 1/200 scale Man in Space set from AMT which comes with Apollo Saturn 1B and V boosters including the Lunar Module. I want to wrap the LM in gold foil but am having issues getting it to stick. I searched this forum and found several builds where foil was applied but they didn't go into their method.

I'm using the gold foil from Ferrero Rocher candies. The foil wraps the chocolate so I washed it first. I then applied some Microscale Micro Metal Foil Adhesive to the foil and let it dry as instructed. I tried several drying intervals with no success.

I did note that the adhesive tends to puddle as I brush it on; it won't form a smooth coat.

Looking for tips or suggestions.

One other comment - the Foil Adhesive seems to be designed for smooth or flat sheets to simulate natural metal finishes, so maybe this isn't the correct situation to be using it. If so, is there another type of adhesive or glue I should be using?

Thanks in advance.

Given that the adhesive is puddling, I would guess there is some sort of coating on the foil to keep it from sticking to the candy that won't wash off. It's also keeping the adhesive from sticking to it. Try the adhesive on a normal piece of thin aluminum foil and stick it to a scrap piece of plastic just to see if you're applying it correctly. If so, you may need to find another source of 'gold' foil, but stay away from food wrappers as they may have similar coatings. Try a Google search for "gold foil". I found lots of listings, mainly in craft stores. 

Great suggestion, Ron, and I think you found my problem.

I tried a piece of aluminum foil and it stuck to the plastic so there must be a coating on the candy wrapper. I'll need to find another source for my gold foil!

Thank you!