1/72 P-47B Conversion of Academy's P-47D Razorback

TheRealMrEd

Hello again.

For a long time, I had considered building the old Lindberg 1/72 P-47B, in 1/72 scale.  I had acquired various parts, cowling, engine, cockpit, vertical stabilizer/rudder, main gear, wheels, prop and so forth to bring the kit closer to today's' standards.  In the end, I decided it was easier to simply fall back on my usual methods, namely modifying an Academy P-47D razorback kit, by shortening the cowl a scale 8 inches, sanding off the "belly bulge", and some other small detail to make a P-47B.  I did, however, use the original decals from the old Lindberg kit, as they were pristine.  I also gave them a couple of coats of Microscale Decal Film, just to be safe.

I was modeling Col "Hub" Zemke's P-47B, when it was working up with  the 56th Fighter Group at Farmingdale, NY, prior to shipping to England in WWII:

spacer.png

Here's how the model turned out:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In retrospect, I probably should have replaced the old Lindberg roundels with modern decals, as they are thick, and maybe not quite the right shade... call it nostalgia for the old kit, I guess.  I had last built one around 1972.

Anyway, I've finally gotten an actual P-47B for the collection.  Not perfect, but better than what I had!

Thanks for looking,

Ed

Very nice looking early Jug! 

• Like 1