WHAT MAKES A GOOD DIORAMA

Dakimbrell

Because of the change to dioramas this year, I thought I would put my two cents in on what makes a good diorama.

To me, dioramas and vignettes stand on three legs. The primary model(s), the base, and the story. They are all equal. I say this because I have seen many winners over the years which tend to push only one of the three elements. A winner with a super fine model, but a poor story and base, or a poor model, but good story, a well-done base with mediocre model and story.

I have been building models for 65 years and 99% of what I do could be generally called dioramic. The only things I put on a decorative base art the large-scale busts which I do. I am a student of Shep Paine and have all his books as well as his biography. I base my opinions and ideas on what I learned there.

It is true my concept slides a bit due to the type of diorama/vignette. Obviously, a small ship diorama might not have a lot of figures, or a figure vignette might not have anything but the base and some figures. But a beautifully done airplane needs the fuel truck to be as well done.

What I consider the "base" includes the ground, trees, walls, buildings, and sometimes the figures. The model, or models are the kits which are the core of the scene. Buildings, etc, are part of the base because they remain even if the core model is removed.

The story should be clear to everyone. I title all my works. That helps focus the viewer on what I meant the story to be. Admittedly, still some don't understand things. I did a simple scene of a Fokker D.VII which I titled "Not a Messerschmitt" hopefully playing on the old joke. But at least one person didn't get it. This is why having a team of judges works best.

Dioramas and vignettes seem to be increasing in numbers in recent years, but it also seems many are reluctant to participate in the judging. I can't judge dioramas often because I am primarily entered there, so the job falls to many others who aren't entered.

Thoughts, anyone?

Dak

IMG_1435.jpg

• Like 2

Another aspect to a good diorama is not squaring off the model display. For example, if a model is posed right to left, then it should be turned at least 10 degrees towards or away the front edge of the base. Putting everything at right angles does not mean the diorama or vignette are bad, but it will be less visually appealing. This element also effects the story of the scene. If two scenes are about equal in quality of work, it is probable the one at an angle will be the winner. 

Also consider what is going on. Having a fire fight going on with one guy calmly standing drinking coffee while in the line of fire is poor story work no matter how well the figures are painted. More than once, I have seen aircraft put in revetments where they could never be able to get out. The same applies to putting anti-tank guns in pits. (88mm guns in particular.)

Make sure all figures are working in the same way. No troops cooking a meal or relaxing with a drink, while a few feet away some are charging into battle. Having figures running in odd directions doesn't do a good job.

There will always be variable situations in dioramas and vignettes. However, there are general artistic considerations to keep in mind.

Dak

FINISHED_1136.jpg

• Like 1

Another aspect of a good diorama/vignette (D/V) is using historically accurate elements. I saw one some years ago where the builder used modern dumpsters in the scene. Also do a check on the weight limits on bridges. It seems one of the common errors is a Tiger II on a bridge which would not hold a VW Beetle.

And no "neat" rubble. It is true in places people do clean up rubble a bit into somewhat neat piles, but that is usually after all the fighting is done. However, Panther tanks which just happen to find a nice clear path through piles of debris is unusual.

Dak 

FINISHED_5432.jpg

• Like 1

One of the problems we have is deciding what is a diorama. As a hardcore diorama builder, I mostly see things as what I call Prize Cows and dioramas. This should not be seen as derogatory because I got it from a museum staffer describing one way to display dinosaur skeletons. However, just because a model is presented differently than most does not make it strictly a diorama.

For example, based on the rules, I believe a model of the B-24 Lady Be Good crashed in the desert could still be entered in the basic aircraft category. The same could be done with a blown-up tank or one simply stuck in the mud. Or rusty abandoned car....perhaps the one driven by Bonnie and Clyde all full of bullet holes.

You could say this WWI tank tells a story, but it doesn't step outside the rules.

Dak

FINISHED_2638.jpg

• Like 1

One of the biggest problems I often see is what I call the World War in Living Color. The problem here is the builder has tried to make a huge scene using many vehicles of different type and lots of figures doing things which don't seem to fit together. I understand the builder gets so wrapped up in the subject they don't see the major flaws in the story or even the craftsmanship.

Sometimes, it is simply several events going on, on the same base. In effect, several different stories done at the same time in hopes of creating a larger scene. It is one thing to do a group of refugees marching past people working on a broken vehicle and another to do the refugees passing a garage where the people are lounging around a car like there is no problem in the world.

If the builder is copying events in a photograph, they should display a copy of the picture with the model to let the judges know why they did something a certain way.

Dak

• Like 1