Member scam alert

Nick Filippone

This morning I received an email from “accounting@prolineds.com” asking me to confirm my membership suspension by opening and downloading something to sign-which obviously I did not. It was signed by “Assistant of Administration.” Has anyone else seen this and is our REAL website administrator aware of this? Should some warning be posted here on the Forum. Thanks. Nick

• Like 2

This morning I received an email addressed to the Wild Strawberry account north_central_texas AT ipmsusa.COM from Just Cool Furniture trying to sell me an AMAZING Wicker Sofa.  I binned it

Has Wild Strawberry's database been hacked?

Ed,

Once an email address is created and used, it will be found by spammers and hackers and inevitably you will get junk like this. Wild Apricot has not been hacked, it is just an unfortunate fact that email addresses will be misused.

BTW, I like the name Wild Strawberry! I've never been a fan of apricots.

Mike

I apologize if my alert has offended anyone. I was simply alerting my fellow members should one of us even briefly be caught unawares. I guess we all cannot be shrewd, savvy cyber jockeys.I will take care not to ever again request any advice or assistance from our administration in such matters. 

Nick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Nick,

Your post didn't offend anyone. I don't think it was clear to Eric that when you mentioned the email address and membership suspension that you were referring to the scam email going around pretending to be IPMS. Eric posted the scam alert this morning after we heard from you and others that they were getting these. Thanks for sharing that information.

Mike

Nick, I think you are going overboard on your reaction to the responses here. I for one appreciate the warning. After all,  not everyone checks the e-mail address of Spam. While I do, some others may not know to do this. Your post here is a valid and welcome alert to the membership here so don't be going crazy because some admin didn't give you the response you were expecting. After all, this organization is the members, not the admin! And yes, it is their responsibility to protect our privacy and they are doing so. While there's nothing they can do to block this kind of thing from happening like Mike said, the membership here needs to see this anyway and you did right by bringing it to everyone's attention.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 8:34 AM, Nick Filippone said:

This morning I received an email from “accounting@prolineds.com” asking me to confirm my membership suspension by opening and downloading something to sign-which obviously I did not. It was signed by “Assistant of Administration.” Has anyone else seen this and is our REAL website administrator aware of this? Should some warning be posted here on the Forum. Thanks. Nick

Thanks for the heads up.

Back in 2014, my email was used to send out junk email. I notified Cox.net about it repeatedly following their directions, but to no avail....until the trip to the Hampton Show. At that time, they froze up my emails because of complaints. I could not clear it until I got home because I needed my password to satisfy them. Once logged on, I showed all the times I had notified them without them doing the job.

They were embarrassed and apologetic. 🙂

Dak