REVELL 1:144 TYPE VIIC/40 U-BOAT... MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT WEATHERING

CCarvalho

I need some suggestions/feedback on how to complete this model.

First let me give you some info.

I do not own an air-brush. The spray painting was done with rattle cans. The rest is brush work. I did use some black Tamiya panel line accent, and I have the rust color on the way. I will use the rust wash to try to soften the effect of the black. The problem for me in this situation is that like most Revell kits the panel lines are raised rather than recessed.

Am I headed in the right direction on this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Craig C.

Sub2.jpg

Sub5.jpg

Sub6.jpg

Sub8.jpg

Edited by CCarvalho
file size
  • Like 1

Personally I think it looks excellent, almost like it's been going through grungy water. From here I'd suggest a dry brush of lightened grey over the model to tone down the sludge appearance a bit. You could even go slightly heavy with it over those areas where the panel liner pooled  on the side. That is all I can think of for your question; hopefully someone more experienced and knowledgeable will chime in with a better suggestion.

I think you are spot on. In viewing many of the videos available on YouTube, the main difference between mine and theirs is that they chose a light grey wash below the waterline. I can probably use the remainig paint I sprayed above the waterline to make my own wash and proceed from there as you have suggested. 

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Nice work on the rust streaks.  One suggestion would be to delineate the waterline with a gray scum line and maybe some light green (algae).  Also, don't extend the rust down below the waterline.  It should terminate at the waterline, as the water would disperse any rust streaks.    I usually don't "dirty up" my submarines, but when I do, I find that pastel chalks are great for weathering.  Make a mistake and just wipe it off a wet paper towel.  After you get the effect you want, seal with a clear coat (dull coat).