Tamiya spray lacquers

FREDDIEM

Anyone out there using Tam Spray Lacquer for the majority of painting their models?  I've started experimenting with these paints decanted and mixing colors instead of using acrylics. so far, the advantages are no need for primer since the lacquers seem to adhere to the plastic quite well by itself. I don't have to build up as many coats because the coverage is very good. It seems to provide a very smooth surface. I don't have to cover it in Future so the decals go on well. Washes go on easily too. I can only assume the paint has self levelers already in it.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. 

Thanks, Fred Matas

I use  them fairly often.

I do use primer and also decant the paint.  It goes on much shinier when I use the can, but I probably don't have the airbrush pressure right.  Tamiya is also releasing the lacquer paint in bottle form so no decanting needed.  Not sure if it needs thinning though as I've not used it yet.

It may have leveler in it, but I have noticed silvering even on pretty smooth paint.  I've been putting down a layer of clear and polishing it a little.

Eric

Thanks Eric, 

I appreciate the input. I've ordered some of the Lacq. paint in bottles to try them out. I'll post an opinion down the road.

I have decanted the Tamiya lacquers for a while now and love them. They airbrush quite nicely. I have used the new Tamiya lacquers in the bottles and they also spray nicely when thinned right. The colors on the PBY & Buffalo's are AS-12 'BARE METAL SILVER' which is a synthetic acrylic lacquer and TS-34 'CAMEL YELLOW' which is a synthetic lacquer. 

Academy 72nd PBY-2.JPG

20220107_135031.jpg

• Like 1

I only occasionally use the Tamiya rattle can paints (except for their primers, which I use regularly, but I've been VERY impressed by them. They seem to go on thinner and dry faster than any other brands I've tried. I've also found their metallics to be a good "base" color on my big models, allowing me to use Alclad or AK metallics just for the varying panels.

I've also been using the new bottled Tamiya lacquers and I like them too, though I've found them to be a bit less impressive. However, that could simply be I haven't quite found the right formula to "mix" them for my airbrush. I do like that they seem to brush paint well also, drying faster than the old MM enamels. I only hope that they keep adding colors, as there's some important ones still missing, at least at my local shop!

Gil :cool:

For those decanting the rattle cans, Tamiya sells a "paint mixing jar 46" which is perfect for the job.  It holds one rattle can exactly and seals well enough to keep the paint usable for a very long time.  I have several jars that are years old.  They may need a drop or two of thinner after they sit for while, but the paint is still as usable as the when it first came out of the can. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I frequently use Tamiya TS series lacquer spray paints.

I don't decant them either, I use them straight out of the spray can. Tamiya has done such a great job on these paints, and the applicator on their spray cans releases just the right amount of paint. If there is a TS color that I can use, I buy the spray paint instead of using my airbrush. It eliminates time spent cleaning out the airbrush.

And on the subject of spray paints. I also use Mr Super Clear UV Cut gloss clear coat in the spray can for nearly all my scale automotive builds. This product works so well and lays down so smooth.

Why get my airbrush dirty when these products work so well?