1/72 Sizaire-Berwick Wind Wagon conversion in progress

Ron Bell

I have always wanted to do this vehicle but could never work up the courage to make a start. Then along comes the 1/72 Roden Rolls Royce a/c kit and I decided to take the plunge. I could only find a total of two photos of the vehicle and no drawings and both photos, while from opposite sides, were from the front, so it was not possible to see what was going on behind the cab or see any real detail in the engine area. I posted a question to the automotive forum here and asked what would be the automotive guys' best guess as to what all those lines were that ran to the back of the cab and what would be back there. They had some good guesses and it did help, but there's still some "imagineering" used in this model. I started with the kit chassis and hood, but reshaped the radiator to look more like the Sizaire vehicle. The back fenders had their bottom rear part cut off and reversed so that it flared back and not down. An engine was cobbled together from various spare parts and the hoses and lines are aluminum and copper wire as is the prop guard. The cab is scratch from sheet plastic and the radiator grill is from the spares box. I have no idea what the prop is from, it was just in my spares box of leftover/salvaged props, but it had the right clipped off tips look. The Roden kit has solid wheels but the Wind Wagon had spoked ones, so I hollowed out the kit wheels and inserted some WW I aircraft wire wheel hubs from Eduard. There's a long way to go yet, but I think this is a good beginning.

PXL_20230131_184738887.jpg

PXL_20230131_184756601.jpg

PXL_20230131_184836716.jpg

PXL_20230131_184818928.jpg

Oh wow! I'd never heard of this vehicle! I love this hobby since I learn so much from it. I do believe you made an excellent SWAG* when it comes to the rear and engine!

*(For those who don't know: SWAG=Scientific Wild A__ Guess!)

I'm seriously looking forward to seeing more! Who knows, if I ever come up with another Roden model of this kit; I might even take a shot at trying this vehicle.