USS Choctaw

dhamilton

Here are a few pictures of my recently completed USS Choctaw from Flagship Models. I've been wanting a kit of this subject for quite a few years. I'm afraid I made a nuisance of myself asking Rusty and Flagship Models about doing one, repeatedly over a number of years!!  It was a happy day when Rusty sent me an e mail saying it was finally ready!! I think this is the first one he sold!! I regularly posted in progress pics on the Blue and Gray Scale Modelers SIG Facebook page, and I know Rusty was following along with the build because of some of the e mails he sent commenting on various parts of the build. I offer mine and the condolences of the entire Blue and Gray Scale Modelers family to Rusty's family.  

It was a great kit to build and I added some extra detail here and there to enhance things a bit. The build took about 18 months to complete. I'm happy with the results, and the completed model looks great on the shelf with the other Civil War subjects I've done. To check out the in progress pics, or to check out our what's happening at a happening SIG home stop by and check us out!! We'd love to have you stop by and say hello!! 

Blue and Gray Scale Modelers, an IPMS/USA Special Interest Group (SIG) | Facebook

aft deck.jpg

Amidships 2.jpg

Centerline rigging.jpg

Forward amidships.jpg

lifeboat detail.jpg

Port side view.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SkyKing said:

I knew Rusty, and I know too he would be quite pleased with your work. 

Thanks so much for your kind words. Rusty wanted to use pictures of mine as the box art for future kits. Unfortunately we were never able to make that happen. 

• Sad 1

Magnificent work Doug! That is stunning. I would love to have one of those models myself.

Maybe if Flagship Models gets sold, you could submit this to the new owner to see if they will use it for box art. Just a crazy thought.

16 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Magnificent work Doug! That is stunning. I would love to have one of those models myself.

Maybe if Flagship Models gets sold, you could submit this to the new owner to see if they will use it for box art. Just a crazy thought.

Thanks Mark!! That's a great idea, and I'll do so when the dust settles, and we know how Falgship will move forward. And it's my sincere hope it does go forward. There are just too many unique and interesting subjects in the catalog, the fact it's in my wheelhouse notwithstanding!! 

Thanks again!!

16 minutes ago, John Walker said:

Beautiful job Doug! Just the right touch of weathering.

John

Thanks John!!