Bandai Gundam the Origin Master grade RX 78-2 Gundam (rollout color custom)

CobraPla

Hi here is one one of my completed builds I did late last year. The base model is the MG RX 78-2 Gundam in the rollout color scheme. I have info relating to my build process linked here. There is a lot of info so linking it to my Instagram is much easier. 

Hope you enjoy the build

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ck82CI8vJst/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

PSX_20221111_171326.jpg

PSX_20221111_203136.jpg

PSX_20221111_203252.jpg

PSX_20221111_201954.jpg

PSX_20230115_070032.jpg

• Like 1

Nice!  And closer to what Tomino probably had in mind when the Gundam’s color scheme was being worked out for the TV show.  I believe it was the sponsors who wanted the “clown colors”, to appeal to kids so that they could sell more toys.

The G Armor was also something the sponsors demanded, for the same reason.  What a wonky, illogical design!

When the MSV kits appeared, I was stunned at how toned down colors and a more military look made the models look so much better.  I’m still waiting for a 1/100 Desert Type Zaku, but if it does materialize, it will probably be Pee Bandai.  🤯

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 4:45 PM, Neo said:

Nice!  And closer to what Tomino probably had in mind when the Gundam’s color scheme was being worked out for the TV show.  I believe it was the sponsors who wanted the “clown colors”, to appeal to kids so that they could sell more toys.

The G Armor was also something the sponsors demanded, for the same reason.  What a wonky, illogical design!

When the MSV kits appeared, I was stunned at how toned down colors and a more military look made the models look so much better.  I’m still waiting for a 1/100 Desert Type Zaku, but if it does materialize, it will probably be Pee Bandai.  🤯

I'm a fan of both the silly colors and more military style ones. Also the g armor support is so awesome! The G-fighter definitely had it's place and makes for a great MG kit. I do agree it be nice to see more origin designs be made into MG kits without relying on 3rd party conversions.

• Like 1

Yeah, Bandai has avoided Origins MS kits in 1/100 scale for some reason.  I wonder if the series was not that popular in Japan.  The combat scenes rocked!

I have felt the old 1980s 1/144 MSV Zaku Desert Type was the most perfect Zaku variation ever.  The slightly updated MSD version from Origins was excellent looking as well.  Now if only Bandai would do either as a MG kit.

The whole Pee Bandai thing makes me think they want to kill off the mass consumer market of Gunpla, and make us buy pre-assembled toys instead.  Their Robot Damashi line covers almost everything the MG and HGUC lines are missing.

On 1/18/2023 at 2:32 PM, Neo said:

Yeah, Bandai has avoided Origins MS kits in 1/100 scale for some reason.  I wonder if the series was not that popular in Japan.  The combat scenes rocked!

I have felt the old 1980s 1/144 MSV Zaku Desert Type was the most perfect Zaku variation ever.  The slightly updated MSD version from Origins was excellent looking as well.  Now if only Bandai would do either as a MG kit.

The whole Pee Bandai thing makes me think they want to kill off the mass consumer market of Gunpla, and make us buy pre-assembled toys instead.  Their Robot Damashi line covers almost everything the MG and HGUC lines are missing.

I doubt it would kill us in the market l, but I will pbandai is way more accessible to people overseas as well. To them it is an easy grab and go were we have to fight for some items. 

I think bandai is trying to keep bringing in new people so with that I think uc struggles to keep up at times. But I agree I wish we got more MSV/MSD Variants in MG. Even if it had to be pbandai. So many great designs untapped. 

• 4 months later...