Finally! Some Auto category definitions!

After 7 years of politicking, proding and cajoling, the auto categories have true definitions for each category.  You have no idea about how happy this makes me!  IPMS owes the group that wrote them seven years ago, a big thank you!

• Like 2

James asks "Will it work?"

15 hours ago, jcorley said:

That's a pretty good set of definitions.

Will it work, Pete?

We spent quite a while working the descriptions into something coherent, with an eye toward resembling what shows up on the tables and what automotive modelers are familiar with. When we worked on all this, we used the most current and up-to-date data at the time. There may be a little tweaking needed due to the amount of time that has elapsed since they were produced. 

We had some very knowledgeable and dedicated modelers on the committee that worked very hard on this. I'm glad our work finally sees the light of day.  

• Like 1

Hey, Doug - could you write a little description of the changes and the process used to determine what they would be? It would be great to run it in the Journal to let people see how much thought goes into these things. 

• Thanks 1

Really nice definitions for us auto modelers. Looking forward to this year's National Convention.

Have a nice day

David Von Almen, Gentleman Modeler

• 3 months later...

I still have a question about the rules for Motorcycles.  The rules say that all civilian motorcycles must either be entered in Category 545 - Motorcycles, 534 - Scratch Built/Conversions, or 535 - Documented Replicas. 

Does this mean that no civilian bikes can be entered in any of the Basic Kit Build categories (590-592)? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 12:17 PM, LarryLitoborski said:

I still have a question about the rules for Motorcycles.  The rules say that all civilian motorcycles must either be entered in Category 545 - Motorcycles, 534 - Scratch Built/Conversions, or 535 - Documented Replicas. 

Does this mean that no civilian bikes can be entered in any of the Basic Kit Build categories (590-592)? 

Motorcycles can only be entered in 545. Except......

If the motorcycle is scratchbuilt or a conversion, it appears you can enter it into 534, because it says all entries.

And if the motorcycle is a documented replica, it appears you can enter it in 535, because it says all entries.

590-592 have always been for cars and pickups. I have never seen motorcycles allowed in those classes.

NOTE: I don't run the show. I am only speaking from experience in participating in other shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the response, Chad.  Your explanation makes sense to me but motorcycles have been allowed in 590-592 for a few years now.  The winner in 592 in 2021 was a bike, one finished second in 2019, another bike finished third in 2018, and a number of others were entered in these categories over the years but didn't place.

The rules read as you've explained them, but they don't appear to applied that way in practice.