Maddog Manufacturing 2023 Grand Reopening

Mark Deliduka

Now it's a new year and the final Pass in Review has been posted. Time to reopen Maddog Manufacturing and show what is happening this year!

Before we show all the new construction, we'll recap some of the projects that had been sidelined in the past.

In the Hangar we have these projects in the works that I'm hoping we'll finish this year. Frankly I'm tired of their boxes taking up space!

In the first bay here we have this monstrosity, the A-400 Grizzly. It's about time to get this bird done:

full

Next is this one, another large plane that needs finishing. This is the C-54 Skymaster that I need to get done:

full

Another long term project that has driven me crazy is this Japanese Shinmeiwa. Time to get this finished:

full

We also have this Russian Shtormovik under construction:

full

Speaking of Russians, we need to move forward on this Ka-29 Helix:

full

And now on to current projects, This is an ancient Airfix F-5B Tiger II with Iranian markings. We started this as a fast and easy going build. Our first Aircraft started in 2023:

full

Another new project started, another big box model. This is Trumpeter's Russian Tu-95 Bear H. So far all we got done was the wings and tail surfaces. That was hard enough!

full

And a final first start for the year is this Revell Concorde I got from an estate sale. This one will be in British Airways markings because that's all that was included in the box. We started with the cockpit on this one:

full

The tail was a separate assembly so that was next:

full

Revell got smart, they had outer wing panels set to glue into the upper wing sections behind the leading edge so no edge seam can be seen. Then the whole sub assembly is attached to the central lower wing after adding the main landing gear bays:

full

The main fuselage is then put together; first by adding the bulkheads they included to allow it to keep it's shape:

full

The tail is just taped on to mock it up and see how big this beastie is going to be. Speaking of mocking it up, here's how the wings and fuselage look together more or less:

full

That's all that's happening in the Hangar, lets go out to the Shipyards...

In our Shipyards, we have the following in our slipways. Our biggest project is this USS Enterprise:

full

She's going to move up on the list of models to do first. Meanwhile, another slipway has the USS Sacramento which is very close to being launched:

full

You can see the additional deck fittings that were added to the superstructure. The hull and superstructure or not glued together.....yet.

In another slipways we had laid down the keel to another motor torpedo boat; this one from Vospers:

full

So far that where that one stands, it is stalled due to the two-tone paint work on the hull. It involves a curve that I need to replicate on both sides. Hopefully more to come on that soon.

Followed by another Vospers boat in the next slipway, this time the Perkasa Motor Torpedo Boat. First the main bridge interior was constructed:

full

Then the outer cabin was completed....mostly:

full

The engine cover was completed next and the whole boat was mocked up:

full

This is gonna be awesome!

That's all that's happening in the shipyards now. Let's see what's going on in the Motor Pool.

Surprisingly. there isn't anything being worked on from the previous year, save for this commission build of this TKS. It's slowly coming along:

full

The only other projects we started for this new year in the Motor Pool is this Dragon British LRDG truck. The chassis was assembled first:

full

Followed by the main cab:

full

That was mostly done; I had gotten this from a friend's estate who passed away back in August. He did well, but hadn't done the chassis so I had to build that above. Since he had also completed the back bed, I didn't have to worry about it so I shot this pick of all three sub assemblies altogether:

full

Finally there is this little Roden FWD 3-ton ammo carrier. This was another acquisition from the estate and was about half finished. So, we finished it up and got it ready for paint. Since I have one built with the cab cover and cargo cover; this one will be a 'convertible':

full

And that completes this first tour of Maddog Manufacturing during the 2023 Grand Reopening! Thank you to all for coming along and as always, comments are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

After another busy Hobby Day weekend, it's time for another tour! We have a bit more to see again this time. All aboard the trams for the next tour as we had on over to our first stop in the Hangar....

Here in the Hangar, we start with the A-400 in this first bay. About all that was done was sand down the rough filler around the joints between the wings and the fuselage. Once the weather is dry enough to fire up the airbrush, we'll be getting that re-painted:

full

After that, we decided to get a small head start by adding the decals to the tail:

full

If I have a tight enough fit on that tail, I might just leave the tail unglued for ease of transport. We'll see...

Moving on to the next bay, additional work was done on the Concorde. We got the front office painted up and ready for decals:

full

After that was the attempt to assemble the moving outer canopy after having masked it off for painting:

full

While we were burnishing down the tape on this, it snapped right down the middle! I was incredulous and furious since there was no reason for it to happen. We added more clear parts cement to hold it together after installing it on the moving brackets. Hopefully it holds.

While that was drying, we also masked off the inner canopy to have that ready for paint as well:

full

Once the canopy was masked, we added the decals to the cockpit and cemented it into the other half of the nose assembly:

full

Finally, an attempt was made to build the engine nacelles:

full

There's still a few more parts to add to that, then there is the putty and sanding needed to smooth that out. 

In the next bay, we have this Russian Shtormovik which needed the clear parts added. However, the main canopy slide fell down and disappeared so we dug into the spares box to find something else that would serve. It may not be accurate, but it sure looks better:

full

And since we were adding clear parts, we also added the canopy and windscreen to the F-5B in the next bay after painting the pilot:

full

That canopy and windscreen was eventually masked off to paint this little plane.

In this last bay we have more work done on the Bear. The cockpit was assembled and later painted:

full

I can't help but feel like that cockpit is 'wrong'. The pilot seats look way underscale and they are so far apart, but not much will be seen through the windscreen so I'm not going to worry about it. We moved on and assembled the inner nacelles and main landing gear:

full

The fit was still a small bit rough, but there was at least a lot of places to add glue to hold them together. Here they are dry fit to the wings:

full

After seeing that above, I figured , why not? and we did the outer nacelles too. Once again, they are all just dry fit in place:

full

That is about all we got done in the Hangar, it's now time to move on to the next stop on our tour.

Here in the Shipyards, we got quite a bit done. Starting in slipway one here, we had to make some changes to the USS Sacramento. In checking on this ship, I realized the boot stripe was too thin. I also noticed too many steps and loose seams on the hull. Using thin strip styrene and thick putty, we repaired the hull; and started repainting it. First was the grey upper section:

full

We then masked off the grey and painted the black boot stripe; this time making it much thicker:

full

Later that was masked off and the bottom hull was painted the hull red. Once everything was dry, the masking came off and we had our new hull:

full

Once that was done, most all the extra detail parts were added to the ship:

full

All that's left now are the photo etch parts and the cargo helicopters, the forklift (yes, they provide a 1/700 scale forklift with this ship!) and this ship will be ready for launching...

Meanwhile in this next slipway, we laid down the keel for the DKM Peter Strasser, the second proposed aircraft carrier for the German Navy. Why am I starting a ship that never existed? Well, they did lay down the keel to this ship and even built it up almost to the flight deck so it is still a viable ship to add to my navy in my opinion. It's not like any sketch on a paper napkin like so much of the wild German armor that so many companies are making into models. 

Speaking of building it up to the flight deck, that is where we were after the first day. The flight deck is just placed on top:

full

Later all the side sponsons were added as well as some other details:

full

Most of the island was then built up, minus the tall and delicate masts:

full

Here it is all mocked up to see how much more needs to be done before painting can start:

full

Moving on to the next slipway, we laid the keel for another German ship. Actually this time it's a boat, the German S-100 Schnellboot. This went together fast and easy. We started with the bridge:

full

You an see the armored shell that goes on the front of this. Later the upper deck was added to the hull:

full

This is one long boat! Some preliminary deck painting was done on the wooden sections of the decks and additional details were painted on the bridge:

full

full

Finally the fore deck and other additional details were added, in preparation for painting this beastie:

full

In this next slipway, we continued working on the Vospers Perkasa MTB, building the torpedo carriages, dry fitting the torpedoes to them and then dry fitting them to the deck. Additional small parts were added and the whole thing was mocked up to see how it is coming along:

full

We also built up the structure on the stern:

full

While all that was drying, we turned to the guns, getting them assembled. First came the 20mm cannon:

full

There is one sub assembly missing from that gun. It is a box that has to be closed up with the lid. Well, we found the lid, but no box, so that whole sub assembly is not on there. Moving on, we did the twin machine guns, a much easier yet more delicate assembly:

full

We got all the parts on that one at least! 

That completes the tour of the Shipyards, now on to the Motor Pool....

Not much was done in the Motor Pool, but we did make a little progress on this LRDG truck, building the gun and adding all the body parts to the chassis:

full

Moving on to the next bay, we started the engine for the next Russian SCUD, this time the SCUD 😄

full

It might be hard to make out as all the little sub assemblies were kept on the sprues where possible. While that was drying he SCUD missile itself was built:

full

Finally, in this last bay against the back wall, we commenced assembling the track runs for the P-1000 Ratte. Yes, it is a complete fabrication I know, but this huge 1/72 scale model is being built because I want to make it into a carrying case for all my new armor I build and take to shows. Here's what we got assembled so far:

full

Yes, they do snap together and are fully workable. I occasionally run into short shot track links but there seems to be enough to make up for that. 

Now that completes our latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing, we appreciate your interest and welcome all comments. Thank you again for stopping in.

• 3 weeks later...

It's February and time for the first tour of the manufacturing plant to see what's being worked on this month. It's been a bit if a slow month except for the Shipyards. Since there is so much happening there, we'll start at the Shipyards.

The first thing that was done was to spray the darker grey on the hulls of the two Vospers wartime boats; you can see both boats here:

full

full

The question now was how am I supposed to mask off the unique curved line of the hull to spray the lighter color on the hull? I came up with an idea: first, a pattern was drawn and redrawn and redrawn on a thin sheet of styrene until I had something that looked right:

full

That was then cut out. Then we put down some wide tape on a flat, clean surface and used the template to draw out two patterns:

full

I then realized that the darker grey wasn't covering enough of the hull, so we sprayed the whole sides of both the 71 and 73 foot Vospers:

full

Now it was time to test out these masks, we applied them to the 71 footer first:

full

After both sides were masked, we shot the lighter color on the hull and superstructure. It turned out okay enough for me:

full

full

full

After that dried enough, we painted up the deck:

full

The deck isn't fully painted, we need to get into the tighter areas with a smaller brush. Then a medium dark brown wash will go over it.

The 73 footer will be masked and shot next. Until then, we'll move onto the next slip to see the German S-Boot....

The instructions called for two of these deck circles to be removed and so we did; making a bit of a mess with it:

full

However, once some liquid cement was applied to melt all the loose shavings back down, it started to look better once painted.

The painted top deck was then masked off after removing the bridge parts, which were masked as well for their paint:

full

full

You'll notice I removed the red stickers from the armored bridge front piece; it was there to protect the two antenna(?) posts on the front. Naturally, soon afterward, I bent one over and had to fix it. After all that masking was done, we shot the light grey over the whole thing. Once it was dry, we removed the masking and then added the bridge again to see how much touch up needed to be done. Fortunately, not too much:

full

And now for a little close up on the bridge. The binocular assembly will be painted black later:

full

It sure looks good in pictures....

Moving on to the next slip, we managed to get a bit more done on the USS Enterprise. First, the stern was assembled with most of the major parts needed:

full

After that, most of the major platforms and additional parts were added to the island to finish the major construction on that. Seams were also filled in:

full

full

The main flight deck was then glossed for decals, but that will most likely wait as they kit requires one to paint every single line on that deck, including the ones surrounding the elevators. Gee that is going to be fun! Anyway, here it is all mocked up showing it ready for hull and island painting at least:

full

My apologies for leaving the S-Boot in that pic; I had nowhere else to put it....

That completes this part of the tour in the Shipyards, now let's see what's happening in the Hangar....

Not much had been happening here but some small progress was made on the A-400. First, the wing seams that had been filled and sanded had been painted over with a fresh coat of grey:

full

That turned out a bit better than I expected, given how hard this model has been fighting me. Later, this was sprayed with a gloss so that decals could be applied next. 

Over in the next bay, we finally completed the assembly of the engines on the Concorde and started sanding them smooth:

full

The lower wing was then glued to the main fuselage, making sure all seams and joints were glued and closed:

full

Here you can see one major gap that will need to be filled; I'm thinking sheet styrene will do fine:

full

Finally, we made every effort to close up the nose of this plane and still have the nose droop like it's supposed to. I don't know how successful we were, but this forward fuselage pod is completed:

full

It's funny, I'd been focusing on this because I figured it would be a fairly easy and fast model to finish. Boy did I figure wrong!

That completes the tour of the Hangar, now on to the Motor Pool....

Here in the first second bay, we started the SCUD D right next to the SCUD C in the first bay. The rocket was built first; here it is next to the SCUD C rocket:

full

Then the chassis for the SCUD D was assembled. It looks like the SCUD C chassis since we built it to the same level as the SCUD 😄

full

In the back corner of the Motor Pool, we started one more project; not military either....

Now this last project is one I'm doing for a "Monogram Mafia" Group Build on another Forums. The story behind this is that one of my friends from a Forums which shall not be named, got tired of people dissing Monogram models. Having built quite a few myself, I also agree, they look good when finally completed. So, he started a Monogram Mafia over there, challenging everyone to build one. However, to be a "made" man; you had to build two in a six month period. Flash forward about a decade or so, and he and I are on another Forums; one of the two best I've been a part of since the LEM passed away. The discussion on Monogram models came up again and he was invited to start up "La Familia" again. Now that you know the background, here is one of the two models I'm doing to become a "made" man over there: this is the Monogram 1/24 scale (yes you read that right!) Packard Phaeton spots car.

First, we primed the body in preparation for the color coat:

full

This one will be green, but a more vibrant green than all these other military vehicles. While that was drying, we started the engine, getting it assembled completely:

full

full

Next, the chassis was assembled and then the engine was added to stabilize the fragile construction. The rear disk brakes were added to check for potential floating wheels:

full

That is as far as we got on that. 

This completes the latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing, the first one in February. Thank you all for joining us and as always, comments are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Valentine's Day weekend to everyone, and now it's time for the Valentine's Day weekend tour of Maddog Manufacturing. Thanks to a fantastic Hobby Day weekend, we were able to get a lot done. So, all aboard the trams, the tour begins now....

Starting in the Hangar again, we have a little bit of work done on a couple aircraft. This first one is the Iranian F-5B Tiger II which got a shot of Tamiya bare Metal Silver out of the rattle can. This can was almost empty so the results were not what was expected or hoped for. It looked like a metallic leopard to be honest. So, a bit of a strip, another shot of primer and then a new attempt with a Testor's rattle can of metallic aluminum. This wasn't so good either:

full

Back to the drawing board with that one. Gee for an easy and uncomplicated build, this sure needs ridiculous effort!

The next aircraft we worked on was the Concorde. we tried to get the linkages inside the nose to work correctly but failed. So, we capped off the nose with the final nose cone:

full

No, the nose isn't broken, this is as far as the nose droops despite my efforts to make it work correctly. At least it works partially:

full

After all that, we cemented on the tail section and the engines, and snapped on the forward fuselage to see how big this is. This beastie spans nearly three feet; or 1.8 meters for those across the Pond. You can kinda get an idea from the standard sized paper clip that is barely visible above the forward fuselage. I forgot to put something down to show length, and that was there after I took the picture so that's the size reference:

full

There's going to be a lot of filling and sanding on that monster, then hopefully it'll be made smooth enough for a white coat later on.

That is all in the Hangar, as I mentioned, not much done. Let's head over to the Shipyards now to see the work done there.

This past week, all of the work was done on the smaller boats. Starting in this first slip, we have the 71 foot Vospers masked up ready to paint the boot stripe:

full

Boot stripe was then painted  and set aside to dry:

full

After that was dry, the boot stripe was taped over and the bottom of the hull was painted the hull red from Humbrol. Here it is still wet:

full

Later on after that dried, all the masking was removed and we got to see how much touch up was going to be needed:

full

In the next slip, the 73 foot Vospers was still masked off for paint. The lower hull is supposed to be painted mostly black except for a section at the bow:

full

...so paint was laid down:

full

When that dried, it was masked off to prepare for airbrushing the light grey on to the rest of it:

full

While we had the black out, We decided to mask off the aft of the Vospers Perkasa to shoot black:

full

...and the black was shot on:

full

Then we saw that the S-100 Schnellboot had a black lower hull, so that was masked off to be shot:

full

Black paint was shot:

full

And later the mask was removed to see how well it looked:

full

We'll be able to move forward on that fairly quickly. 

That completes the tour of the Shipyards, now on to the Motor Pool....

Here in the Motor Pool, production has finally picked up. There has been a lot of projects I have been wanting to get going on in addition to the SCUDS we're building. These were pulled out to get started. 

In this first bay, we built the hull and running gear for the Russian SA-5 Gainful. This went together very fast and easy: 

full

Next all three missiles were built:

full

The we built the launcher assembly and loaded the missiles on to it. The missiles are not glued in:

full

Gee, that took all of 15 minutes to do. This is now ready for paint.

After that, we pulled out another quick and easy model; this time the fifth SA-2 SAM launcher for the SA-2 SAM battery I'm trying to build. Again, fast and easy:

full

The missile was built next:

full

Later the missile was loaded onto the launcher, but mot glued in to make painting easier. This is also now ready for paint:

full

Since the battery needs some reload trucks with missile reloads, I decided it was time to bring out the ancient Airfix kit and get started on the truck. First, the basic chassis and underside was done on the tractor portion:

full

Next, the transport trailer was completed:

full

Finally the whole thing got mocked up to see how it's gonna look:

full

This kit also comes with a launcher as well, so I'll have my sixth launcher for this battery.

These were all simple kits we worked on  in between work on the SCUDs. Starting with the SCUD C, we built up the first of the body sections, this one goes right behind the driver's cab:

full

That was a bit of a diversion to relax from having added all the axle and wheel hubs to the main chassis, as well as the plates underneath:

full

full

Finally, the remaining body sections were built and staged on the chassis t see how they will fit. You can see I left off the sides of the command cabin so we can get the interior painted first:

full

After getting that far on the SCUD C, we moved ahead on the SCUD D, completing the basic chassis:

full

Later the engine was built and installed on the chassis:

full

After that we managed to get two of the four body sections built. Again, the sides of the command cabin are left off for interior painting:

full

Finally, on another Forums, a Sherman Group Build was started, so I decided to make one more attempt to finish a UM Models Sherman. I had started five others previous to this and failed miserably to complete them. This is the UM Sherman with the T-17 rocket launcher mounted to go along with my Calliope. The hull was started first as usual:

full

You can see the front of that 3-piece tranny cover did not turn out right. Despite my best efforts, those five pieces refused to fit right; the curve of the hull parts came nowhere near the same curve on the bolt arches. I cannot worry about that anymore, or this will be another UM Sherman confined to the Shelf of Doom, never to be completed. We moved on....

The upper hull was mounted on the lower hull and the turret was started:

full

The turret later got finished up, all except for the most delicate parts hat would break during consequent building. The upper hull also got a few caps and other round parts added:

full

Next we added the photo etch parts and the remaining fender pieces to the hull. The drive sprockets and idlers were added as well:

full

Finally, we came to the running gear. Normally I've had no issues with building these; it's always the photo etch skids that have invariably tripped me up, making it impossible for me to finish (if the kit wasn't already missing vital parts...that's another story)

Slowly and carefully we assembled these bogies; when it came time to add the photo etch skids, we annealed the etch and used the included jig to bend them into place. They ain't perfect, but they're DONE!

full

We wasted no time after these were sufficiently dry enough; they got installed on the lower hull and the tracks were then added:

full

After all of that, we were done for the day. Any further work will be done another time. 

That concludes the Valentine's weekend tour of these facilities. Thank you all for stopping in and joining the tour. Comments are always welcome.

As always. I'm amazed at the number of projects you have going at the same time! I also have to chuckle when I check here because there's so many pics, I have trouble finding where to start looking; so generally I go to the bottom of the page, and scroll back up watching your "progress" in reverse! Awesome work, as usual Duke!

Gil :cool:

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing. First, we'll show you some of the renovations being done to help improve things. This has been a long time coming. So, all aboard the trams and remember to keep hands and feet inside; especially now with all the renovation construction debris everywhere...

This is what was done first, rendering the 'plant' unusable for a while. This is the one side of the room where my workbench and staging area are:

full

The reason for this? Right here. I have some new shelves that will be holding so many things in a far more organized manner. This is the view from the door. You can see half of my armor tubs already in place along with a few other things; some of which will not stay there:

full

Later on, I re-positioned my wife's sewing cabinet (after removing her sewing machine) into a new position to hold more model kits in a more organized manner. I also added a long shelf along the side in front of my model shelves for the purpose of holding even more model kits. This is on the opposite side of the new shelves facing the closet:

full

Then I placed the remaining armor tubs on the one side of the long shelf board, along with some open boxes of models under construction. Using sturdy display boxes from Costco, I filled them with more models kits to organize them better, as well as a couple boxes of smaller in-progress models. The plastic totes behind the armor tubs are holding many, many parts that I will need to sort out and organize later:

full

That was two days of work.I still have to clear the workbench and the chair I use as well as some of the rest of that side of the room before I can use it again. Until then, here is what we got done in between the two renovation days and at our weekly Monday Hobby Nights.

Starting in the Hangar we can show the start of a new aircraft this is part of a mini group build on another boards. This is the Eduard Weekend Edition of the Me-110. Naturally, we started with the interior and cockpit:

full

Then the wings and engine nacelles were built up:

full

We then decided to place the interior inside the wing cavity for fun:

full

We have a good amount of interior detailing and decals to add to that before we can close it up inside the fuselage.

Now lets see what's going on in the Shipyards....

Here in the Shipyards a lot has been happening there, especially in the smaller slipways. To start with, the Vosper's 71 foot MBT, had the torpedo tubes and depth charges installed:

full

The mount for the 20mm gun was lost, so I had to fabricate a new stand. I calculated wrong on height, which was discovered later when I found the original part:

full

I'll have to decide later whether to remove my fabrication and use the original part later. Until then, all the remaining detail parts were added. All that is needed is the threads and the detail painting and this will be done:

full

The original kit did not have hull number decals, only a flagsheet. I'm considering trying to find a hull number to add to this.

Moving on to the next slipway, we had to do a marathon session of adding all the detail parts to the Vosper's 73 foot MBT due to the fact that the instruction sheet got stuck on a wayward piece of tape and practically disintegrated on one side with pieces falling off the other side:

full

full

We were on a roll, so instead of trying to find and download a new set of instructions, some serious construction commenced while the instructions could still be (barely!) read:

First, the bridge was built:

full

We then installed that onto the main deck, trying to get it to glue into the proper position:

full

We even tried a bit of persuasion, but this thing was stubborn:

full

You can see how stubborn it was by how it looks here when we tried applying the deck to the hull. This shot shows the deck placed on the hull to see how much persuasion it was going to need too:

full

That did need some persuasion but we applied a bit of glue to one section, allowed it to dry, then re-positioned the hull and deck to slowly glue it section by section into place. We then installed the railing around the forward gun. This was not so easy; the uprights were all individual pieces that had to be glued in place first, then the ring added later. Despite our best efforts, it isn't as pretty as it should look:

full

I was still not satisfied with the bridge cabin, so drastic measures were taken. The whole thing was removed and disassembled:

full

This time it was reassembled in situ right on the deck to insure everything lined up properly as it is supposed to do, starting with the troublesome side walls:

full

Later, just before the glue seriously set, the interior was added to the side walls, lined up and glued in place with a great clamp providing extra support:

full

After that dried, all the extra parts were installed at the stern of this boat; all but two of the mufflers because they both disappeared. They were too complicated for me to even consider scratching new ones so they got left off. The shafts, screws and rudders were also added at this time, hence the foam taped underneath to keep them from breaking off during handling:

full

The main mast was completed next, but not installed yet. That thing is screaming to break at the slightest pressure so it's being held off untill the very last:

full

Finally everything else was installed on the boat. Now for final touch ups, decals and thread and this will be finished too.

Following that, we masked off the bottom of the Vosper's  Perkasa MBT and shot paint over the hull. The superstructure sub assemblies also got the same paint, even though it isn't shown here:

full

Later, we masked off the connection points on the deck and re-sprayed the green on the deck to make it a more uniform and solid color:

full

Here it is all mocked up to see how it will (hopefully!) look:

full

While we had that green out, we also shot it on the bottom of the hull for the Japanese PT-15, and we also shot the same grey over the PT-15 superstructure parts:

full

Finally, we started  the PT-109 some days ago, getting it all assembled (mostly) and removing the life raft mounts on the forward deck. We plan on mounting a 37mm cannon on the deck like so many pictures of Kennedy's boat show:

full

This then got the overall OD green paint on it:

full

That completes what's happening in the Shipyards, we'll make a brief stop in the Motor Pool where only one things was started and another moved closer to the finish line. Next door to that in the miscellaneous workshop, we have something else to check in on as well.

Here in the Motor Pool, we started on a couple of simple Infantry Carts used by the Wehrmacht in WWII. It was something needed to clear the pallet. Assembly was quite straightforward; it includes two horses and troops. We did one of the horses and then built the carts. One cart has a couple mounting brackets for holding Panzershreks, while the other is supporting a self defense machine gun:

full

Next, since we were shooting OD green on the PT-109, we also shot some on the M-4 Sherman sporting the M-17 rocket launcher on top of the turret:

full

After a clear gloss coat, the decals went on:

full

This tank did not sport the white stars originally. I just took some artistic license and added them as I think it makes this tank look better.

Finally next door, we repainted the hood on the Packard, giving it a nice smoother and more consistent color:

full

Later this was gloss coated for the shine:

full

Meanwhile, the interior was built up:

full

And that concludes this tour, thank you all for coming and remember comments are welcome.

It's always a pain to remodel your bench and stash area, if only for the time it takes as well as the temporary chaos created. But, I've found it's almost always worth it in the end. I can also identify with scratchbuilding a replacement part only to then find the lost one! Glad to se things are going well!

Thank you Gil! Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get this room back into shape! Like you said though, it is well worth it once it happens! Right now, I'm going through a ton of parts containers trying to condense like parts into one container each instead of having them scattered throughout five or six.

Stay tuned I hope to have more progress to show soon. I have about four motor torpedo boats that I am so close to finishing!

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since I've been here with enough time to follow everyone and due to so many issues, events, small jobs and other incidences; I have been very neglectful in checking out and commenting on anyone else's work. For that I apologize; it has been so hard to find the time to just enjoy the Forums. This coming week will be another extended absence as well due to a long and arduous job I'll be doing, so if I don't reply right away, you know why.

I don't know how many people take my 'tours', but here is an update from the last month or so, whenever I was able to find some time at home and at Hobby Day events to get something done.

That being said, this might be a bit of a long tour so all aboard the trams and remember to keep hands and feet inside at all times. Our first stop in the Hangar.....

Our first stop shows the Me-110 cockpit assembly finally painted. It may not be the most accurate color but it's the closest I have and I want this finished so this is what I used.:

full

Decals go on this instrument panels so that will be next before I close this up and start painting.

Next, two Spitfires were started. These were from Saul, and so I pulled them out and we started them while waiting for other things to dry. First is the Mk.VIII, starting with the cockpit of course:

full

Later for ease of handling while painting, we cemented the cockpit assembly into one of the fuselage halves:

full

While that was drying, we cemented the wing tops to the lower wing section:

full

In the next bay, we have the Mk.XIVC, which also had the cockpit assembled and then cemented into one of the fuselage halves:

full

Followed by the same wing assembly as before:

full

Yeah, not too much was done here, but some good progress was made. Now let us head on out to the Shipyards....

Here in the Shipyards, all the work has been focused on the small torpedo boat craft since some of them are so close to being completed. The first one is the German Schnellboot, which has been fighting us all the way. Final detail parts were added and some rigging was done, but I decided to leave off some parts that are just extra stuff. It's slowly getting closer:

full

full

That is one long boat! As of now, we won't be able to complete this until I find the screws to it which I had in place ready to install, and they completely disappeared. I have to wait until they're found before I can call this one finished:

full

Moving along, the British Vospers 71 foot boat got final detail painting, some rigging and some last details installed:

full

The white styrene rods are rigging that we're using instead of thread because we could not get the thread to look right. At least this; when painted black, will simulate rope better. Once that is done, final decals and finishing will be done.

Finally, in this last slipway, we have the Vospers 73 foot boat. Lots of seams needed filling and lots of extra parts were installed as well:

full

All of that was painted and now all that is needed are the decals, rigging and weapons:

full

That completes the tour of the Shipyards, now on to the Motor Pool.....

Here in the Motor Pool, there is a lot that has been happening. With the influx of new kits, we went to work to get as many of these built as fast as possible.

Our first bay holds one of the two SCUDs, this one is the SCUD C. The driver's cab was completed and windows installed:

full

With that completed, we installed all four body assemblies onto the chassis:

full

We can't go much further on this one until the sprue with the correct launcher arms are found. The ones I currently have are for the early SCUD B and this is the -C.

Meanwhile, we got the launcher arms assembled and installed for the SCUD 😧

full

Yes, it does elevate and I forgot to get pics of it fully elevated. All that is needed now are the missiles to be painted, windows masked so we can start with Silly Putty and paint to add the other two camouflage colors.

In the next bay, we started the FROG-7 missile truck. Ever since seeing this in some larger scale when I was a kid, I've always dreamed of having this as part of my 1/72 scale collection. Finally, thanks to Trumpeter, that dream is becoming reality. We started of course with the driver's cab, building the interior and testing it with the cab shell:

full

Next all the rest of the rear parts were added to the chassis:

full

Preliminary paint and the final launcher arm assembly was added next:

full

This arm elevates vary nicely:

full

After the interior of the cab was painted, the windows were installed and the cab was painted outside; the whole sub-assembly finally added to the rest of the truck:

full

The missile itself was then completed and left to dry on the sprue:

full

Later it was removed and tested on the launcher arm. Additional rear body parts were added as well to complete construction as much as possible for the next coat of paint:

full

This one is coming close!

In this next bay, we got started on the SA-4 Ganef, starting with these wonderfully complex missiles:

full

Next was the lower hull and tracks, which were molded into one piece with the outer road wheels molded separately:

full

The complex launcher arms were next, they do work well when assembled:

full

The upper hull was completed with all but the most breakable parts, the launcher arm was added; and the whole thing was dry fit to the lower hull. Then for fun, we added the missiles to see how this ungainly vehicle was going to look:

full

That is where this is so far. I do have a lot of missiles that we need to get painted, so someday when I have the spare time; there's going to be a missile painting marathon!

Finally the last bay here contains the US Army D-7 Dozer that we got in. First assembly was the surprisingly detailed little engine:

full

Next were the tracks. Again, simple assembly, but very nicely detailed:

full

Now since most of this needed to be painted before any assembly of the main body could be done, we went ahead and built the dozer blade itself:

full

Now after some preliminary painting again, we started building this up. First, the engine was added to the main body:

full

Then the driver's seat and the rear section were added:

full

Final assembly, painting and early weathering were done next:

full

The track assemblies were weathered next so we could get it in places we wouldn't be able to reach when these tracks were installed:

full

Once done, these were installed on the dozer itself:

full

The dozer blade was then snapped into place:

full

Looks great doesn't it? The blade will be weathered later and then installed. This little model was a blast to build; just so you know what I was dealing with, here it is next to the Exacto blade I used for removing the more delicate parts:

full

Pretty darn small!

That concludes our tour of Maddog Manufacturing for today. Thank you all for stopping in, your patronage and comments are most appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite having almost no time, I was able to get a bit more progress done, and even finished a few models. Some of those models have already been posted so these pics will show them on the way to the dispersal yard or dock.

Okay, lets start this tour by boarding the trams and heading out to the Hangar.

There's been some good progress in the Hangar here, starting with the two Spitfires we've been working on.

First, the Mk XIV got the decals in the cockpit which was also glued to the right fuselage half:

full

Meanwhile, the Mk VIII got the fuselage assembled and the wings and tails installed:

full

In this next bay, the German Me-110 got the final details added to the interior and sides of the fuselage halves:

full

This enabled us to then close it all up inside the fuselage:

full

Progress was quickly made as the wings and tail were then added:

full

Later the nose and exhaust were installed. The nose sub assembly had four parts to assemble before they could be mounted on the front of this plane:

full

That completes the tour of the Hangar, lets move on to the Motor Pool as my Shipyard crews are taking a much needed break after completing three boats.

Here in the Motor Pool, we have in this first bay the Russian FROG-7 Luna. First, the tires were dusted and weathered. This meant adding Tamiya weathering powders to the tire treads and then wiping them carefully off the raised surfaces after it dried:

full

Next the missile itself was painted and decaled. I tried to eliminate the silvering but no matter how many times I poked holes with a brand new Exacto blade and added Solvaset; they stubbornly remained silvered:

full

Finally, the decals were added to the main truck and then it was weathered:

full

Later on, the wheels and tires were added, the missile was loaded and she was sent to the dispersal yard for delivery to my Russian Army. You might have already seen those pics. 

Moving on to the next bay, we got the base coat of green on the Sa-4 Ganef:

full

The missiles were then painted and the decals added. Once again, as with the FROG-7, these decals resisted all efforts to remove the silvering. Here's one of them. There were something like 30+ decals to add to each missile, I decided we'd only use about half of them:

full

This was then taken for a test drive sans missiles and brought back very dirty. Here it is before a loot of that dust and debris came off:

full

This one has since been cleaned up and the missiles loaded and final details added. She has now been sent to the dispersal yard for delivery to my Russian Army.

In this next bay we have the British Scimitar Mk.2. Almost all the assembly has been done and so the photo etch was then added:

full

All that was left, with the exception of breakable details was the base coat of green:

full

And that completes this short tour of Maddog Manufacturing again. Thank you all who stopped in to see this latest tour.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a rather wild few weeks. I'm surprised I actually had time to work on my models. Now that I'm fighting a mild flu, I'm taking the time while I'm home to start a new tour showing what I have been able to get done in between fighting this thing and taking care of other things. 

For those interested: all aboard the trams now for our next tour.

As always, we'll start in the Hangar...

Quite a bit has been done here, particularly since I've been sick and tired of some of these long term shelf queens. This particular one comes to mind:

The A-400 I started six years ago has been fighting me almost constantly. While I was applying the decals for the French Armee del'Air in this first bay, the main landing gear and nose gear constantly broke:

full

Because almost all of that won't be seen, I decided to try some out-of-the-box thinking to make these landing gear stronger. Here's one technique we used, gluing an angled piece to the main gear to support the forked wheels:

full

That's just one example; the rest glued just fine and I was able to finally call this beast done! One Shelf Queen finally off the Shelf of Doom!

Moving on to the next bay, we were able to slather a bunch of Mr. Surfacer 500 over the Spitfire Mk. VIII, give the number of crazy gaps and seams we had after gluing it together:

full

After a good amount of sanding, things started looking better on this Mk.VIII:

full

Once I was satisfied with our sanding job, we added the canopy and windscreen to this so we could mask it all later and get ready for paint:

full

I was very pleased with the fit of this.

The Spitfire Mk. XIV in the bay next door, did not need nearly as much attention, a good sanding took care of those issues. However, I did lose the little cockpit door so we replaced it with some sheet styrene:

full

Later on that canopy and windscreen went on too:

full

While we were doing canopies and windscreens, we decided to finish off the canopy/windscreen assembly on the Me-110 as well. All six parts fit together nicely:

full

Finally in this last bay, our improved cockpit assembly for the Tu-95 Bear was test fit inside the forward fuselage halves to see how it looks. It's a vast improvement over the kit supplied parts:

full

The forward fuselage halves were taped together and then taped to the rear fuselage assembly to see how this beastie is gonna look. She's a long one indeed as you can see by the Exacto blade next to it:

full

All we have to do is add some 50kg's of nose weight to this before we can close it up. Shouldn't be too long if I can recover quickly enough. 

That's all that's happening in the Hangar for now. We'll bypass the Shipyards as they've been dormant for a bit and move on to the Motor Pool...

Here in the Motor Pool, we started a little Ford Model A car in 1/72 scale from Zebrano. It's a cool little car that started well:

full

I can't wait to start the little Stakebed truck I got and place it next to this!

Moving on, we found another Shelf Queen languishing in this back bay since 2015. It had been started for a "Modern Armor Group Build" on a Forum I left long ago, and while cleaning out the Motor Pool, we found it back here. Wheels were missing from it, and idler had broken off, but it was overall intact. It was time to start moving forward on this.

full

First of all, this is my Swedish Leopard 2A6, and here is what it looked like once the wheels were all glued back on. It is a Revell kit and was quite brittle after all this time. So, to preserve the wheels as much as possible, we took the one run of track and glued it to the bottom of the main roadwheels and then to the idler and drive sprockets to hold everything together:

full

The tracks don't wrap up far enough on either side, but it is enough to at least keep everything together. We can add more tracks later to close things up. You can also see we started the second of the three color splinter camouflage.

Later, the third color got applied. It was a mix with a gloss green to try and get the closest match to a field green I could so once I gloss this, decal it, and then flat coat it; everything should blend:

full

Another couple steps and another long term Shelf Queen will be off the Shelf of Doom....

Finally, I decided we should tackle the Armory ZSU-23-4 Shilka. Now you'll see why I am reluctant to get more Armory Shilka variants. 

First, the four lower hull parts were glued together. Looks simple right? There was an interesting amount of shaving that was needed to make these parts fit this way, as the flash was so misleading:

full

And now for the craziness to begin. I shot all the first four steps of the lower hull assembly so you can see how much was needed to do even before adding the torsion bars for the roadwheels! The hull should show you how tiny these parts were too:

full

That pic above shows steps one, two and three for the lower hull. Next I thought we could start on the upper hull. Again, six parts to build this before getting to the hatches and engine deck details. It's obvious Armory does not have slide mold tech. I understand it is expensive for many smaller companies, but it shouldn't be too hard to simplify things a bit to make this fun. I don't mind detail parts but to break things down for the sake of adding to the parts count, is not cool. It did go together a bit better than the lower hull:

full

I decided to test fit the upper and lower hulls; as you can see from the inside, they will need a bit of finagling to sit right:

full

One other critique on this kit: there are no numbers and letters stamped on the sprue. One has to follow the sprue map on the instruction sheet:

full

That makes thing tough when you have to keep flipping back and fourth to find where the part is on what sprue. Once more larger parts start getting used, finding parts like this will be even more difficult to find, thus complicating this build even more. I've dealt with worse, so yes, this will get finished.

Well, that completes this short tour of Maddog Manufacturing again. Thank you to all who have joined this latest tour. Comments are always welcome.

• 1 month later...

Well, it has been awhile since the last tour, mostly because of difficulty with the PC which ended with erasing my entire ten-year history of photos taken with my camera. I'm also dealing with an unknown condition that has made driving for me too dangerous. At least I still have my hobby and now my PC is fixed enough to be able to start some more tours. 

All aboard the trams, we will be departing soon for the Hangar....

Here in the Hangar, there has been only one project that we worked on, but a serious amount of work was done on it. This is a simple yet difficult kit from RPM; a very short run kit that I decided to start just to get it off the stash. It is a Russian Be-4 float plane, and the instructions had us start on the engine and cowling. After some intensive sanding, test fitting and sanding again, thwe engine finally sat in place correctly. There are no attachment points or guides for any of these parts:

full

Next we started on the "highly detailed cockpit". That consisted of adding the pilot seats to the main floor...that's it. Only they wanted us to place the seat bottom first and then 'scratch build' the seat backs! Forget that... I went straight to my parts box and added these seats instead:

full

Next the bulkheads went in place. They took a bit of finagling, as again; there's no guides or attachment points to put them in their proper place:

full

Finally, the "interiors" were added; I happen to find a third seat for the gunner/radio operator's station that matched the two pilot seats. You can see in this pic how the floors and bulkheads will need to be trimmed and sanded before the fuselage will close:

full

After a test fit, we moved the seats back:

full

After some snipping, sanding, test fitting, adjusting, readjusting, we finally got the fuselage together. It went together better than expected for such a short run kit:

full

There were still some seams and steps to deal with so out came Mr. Surfacer 500:

full

After test fitting the gunner's dome, I realized that seat needed to be trimmed so we got that trimmed down to fit:

full

Another test fit later; this time of the wing, we noticed that the pylon was too short and that the propeller would cut off the nose of the plane so an adjustment had to be made. We took some sprue from the kit; cut it to length, bent it a bit and then glued them into place:

full

Some judicious trimming and sanding later and the pylon is ready to take the wing and the propeller will be able to spin freely:

full

Speaking of the wing, it came in six parts. the center section is here:

full

The two outer halves on each side needed to be cemented together as well. We did this along with cementing all the outrigger floats and the tail plane halves together as well:

full

This poor molding leaves us with a butt joint that would break if you looked at it wrong:

full

Well, if they were not giving us a proper way to cement this together in any manner that would hold, we added some sprue runners that the end parts would be able to grip:

full

Here is the first attempt to glue the ends of the wing to the center:

full

You can see how poor fitting these are, worse than the fuselage. So, further adjustments were made...

full

...and made....

full

And since I still wasn't satisfied we took them apart and re-started them, hopefully finally getting the wing to look right. Pics of that forthcoming later during a follow on tour..

Meanwhile, the pylons were added to the outrigger floats:

full

You can see where we had to fill some holes where the pontoons themselves were short shot. They are ready for installation one the wing turns out satisfactory enough.

While waiting for the latest adjustment on the wing to take, we painted the interiors:

full

When test fitting the main canopy, we found it was too short to cover the whole cockpit opening, so we trimmed a piece of black sheet styrene to shape and added it to the front of the cockpit opening:

full

The results look much better and will look even better under paint:

full

Well, that completes the latest work in the Hangar, let's move on to the Motor Pool...

Here in the Motor Pool, a lot has been happening. We have two civilian automobiles in progress, one big scale and one small. On the small one, the Zebrano Model A Ford, we finally got the main body assembled and fastened to the chassis:

full

You can see all the dust that blew in from the Hangar after all the work on the Be-4

Later all the rest of the fenders, headlights, and radiator, as well as the wheels were added:

full

That's as far as we got on that one. On the larger one, the Monogram 1/24 scale Packard, a lot got done. The main fenders got their coat of gloss brown:

full

Since the fenders were being painted the dark brown, we also masked off the main body and shot the same brown trim on it:

full

A bit of a test fit later, we see how well this is gonna look....provided I don't screw it up first. You can also see that the seats had been painted leather.

The main hood over the engine had been giving us problems with the green base coat, but it finally went down smooth and the gloss coat as well. This was then masked off for the brown trim  to be painted as well as some chrome bits molded in place:

full

Final result, better than expected:

full

You can see we started painting the chassis as well. More to come on this later. 

There's a third civilian vehicle we're working on the ACE 1/72 scale Ford 1937 stakebed truck. First assembly was the chassis:

full

We then got half the cab finished:

full

Finally, the stakebed:

full

Great detail on this ACE kit. Here it is all mocked up:

full

These next few vehicles are ones we started since I've been wanting them in the collection or awhile. First is this French AMX Mk.61 self propelled gun. Basic lower hull was assembled first:

full

Another French AMX vehicle, this time the AMX-13 DCA. Again, lower hull assembled first:

full

We got a little further on the South African Eland 90, even building the basic turret:

full

Finally there's the Russian Br-5 280mm mortar from ACE. This one took a bit of time since the main tracked running gear had so many parts to assemble. First were all the road wheels on the main part:

full

Then the two outer casings went on, trapping the (twin) idler wheels, drive sprocket and roadwheel assembly inside:

full

Had to do this twice:

full

And we still have to add the link and length tracks! Moving on, we assembled the main carriage:

full

Finally we got to the gun:

full

The trunnion will be a tough build so we left it at that....

Our last project to look into is the M1070 gun truck. We took some time to get the main chassis almost fully assembled:

full

The cab was started next, leaving room for painting the interior before it is closed up:

full

Finally the gun bed was built up, sans barriers. There's lots of interior detail that can barely be seen:

full

There's still a center section to build up, but these three components are pretty much done overall:

full

One last treat before we conclude this tour, Rocket the Raccoon has been mostly painted up. I still need to do his nose, eyes, teeth, gun and his outfit:

full

That concludes this latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing, I hope you enjoyed it. As always, comments are welcome.

• 1 month later...

WOW,WOW,WOW... And I tough with 89 projects on the go , I was the only MAD MODELERS around..Glad to have found my match !...So tell me do you complete project or juts pile them up ? On my side I complete 2 to 3 projects a weeks sometime more cause I keep the first week of the month just to complete the one close to be !.. including some pics of my on the go projects

Enjoy !

...Now Looking forward to see some of your stuff completed ! 

DSCF6526.JPG

DSCF6527.JPG

DSCF6528.JPG

DSCF6529.JPG

DSCF6530.JPG

I'm overawed by by the number and variety that both of you undertake all at once! I consider trying to build 2 models at the same time overwhelming.... Thanks for the very entertaining and fascinating updates!

Thank you Jean-Marc. That is quite a queue you have going. I tend to finish somewhere between 1 and 7 per month on average; these past few months have been the exception to that rule due to a trip and other unforeseen health issues. I have finished three models that I have yet to post; I do need to start updating things soon.

Thank you Gil, I'm always glad to see your posts here.

On 10/7/2023 at 12:55 AM, ghodges said:

I'm overawed by by the number and variety that both of you undertake all at once! I consider trying to build 2 models at the same time overwhelming.... Thanks for the very entertaining and fascinating updates!

Well, I use to be like you and kept my working table clean as a whistle ,but it took me month to complete something  ,  one day I meet a guy at the club who had a lots of ongoing projects, he than explain me why he's doing this  ..he said he always get to a certain point with a project were he's missing details info, have to leave them to let the paint dry or glue settle ,awaiting for some parts or certain paint color etc.. instead to wait and than advance a project that was started or start aa new one , at the end he was able to complete way more than me ... so he got me hook and my wife hate it since ..lol   

2 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Thank you Jean-Marc. That is quite a queue you have going. I tend to finish somewhere between 1 and 7 per month on average; these past few months have been the exception to that rule due to a trip and other unforeseen health issues. I have finished three models that I have yet to post; I do need to start updating things soon.

Thank you Gil, I'm always glad to see your posts here.

CCCCCCCCCCool,you are way more productive than me ,I got to catch -up ..lol... well it's quite understandable. and looking forward to see your latest completed one .So tell me how do you choose a subject , the one on the top of the pile , the new release or ? 

In mid-time here a link to what I have completed this year so far this year , they all are in 1/48 scale , I rarely do other scale,the only time I do so it's because a fellow modeler got me into some challenge, here the link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sBr6P2kZXZedUQhV7

Here what I have completed last week all those are scratch !

Enjoy !

Jmarc

DSCF6539.JPG

DSCF6533.JPG

DSCF6485.JPG

DSCF6512.JPG

Jean-Marc, the guy at your club describes exactly why I also built in multiple models and finish them up. I tend to build about 7-10 to the paint stage, then spend a day airbrushing everything. Once all is dry, I finish them off. As for what I choose next, a lot of the time I choose something that is different from what I've been doing. For instance, if I've been doing armor; I'll switch to aircraft for a bit. I also have a goal to finish all my 1/72 scale motor torpedo-type boats as well so once in a while, I'll pull them down and work on them. I find changing the types I work on tends to keep the other subjects fresh when I get back to them. Another thing that helps me choose what to work on next is if I have a series or similar enough kits to do; I'll start them all. At one point I was on a 1/72 scale truck building kick; I completed about 17 before I was done. Finally, anything that catches my fancy will be worked on, such as Rocket the Raccoon and the Roman racing chariot.

Like you, I only build in one scale when it comes to aircraft and armor/vehicles. I started that way back in my distant youth when a friend showed me the beauty of a consistent scale in all my models. I chose 1/72 scale because it was

-> inexpensive, especially for a kid who earned $3.00 mowing lawns to buy his models

-> Small enough to fit a lot on the shelves.

-> I could see the size reference setting aircraft next to my vehicles.

When I can find them, I'll post some pics of my entire armor collection from 2021. It's been quite a journey getting here.

The models you posted are all simply outstanding, especially given they are all scratch built! Therein lies the difference between us; I'll complete a lot of models that are from kits and mostly OOB and you acgieve the same prod=cutivity doing scratch built models! Wow, way to go!

Still trying to get caught up; hopefully I'll be able to get something posted soon.

11 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Jean-Marc, the guy at your club describes exactly why I also built in multiple models and finish them up. I tend to build about 7-10 to the paint stage, then spend a day airbrushing everything. Once all is dry, I finish them off. As for what I choose next, a lot of the time I choose something that is different from what I've been doing. For instance, if I've been doing armor; I'll switch to aircraft for a bit. I also have a goal to finish all my 1/72 scale motor torpedo-type boats as well so once in a while, I'll pull them down and work on them. I find changing the types I work on tends to keep the other subjects fresh when I get back to them. Another thing that helps me choose what to work on next is if I have a series or similar enough kits to do; I'll start them all. At one point I was on a 1/72 scale truck building kick; I completed about 17 before I was done. Finally, anything that catches my fancy will be worked on, such as Rocket the Raccoon and the Roman racing chariot.

Like you, I only build in one scale when it comes to aircraft and armor/vehicles. I started that way back in my distant youth when a friend showed me the beauty of a consistent scale in all my models. I chose 1/72 scale because it was

-> inexpensive, especially for a kid who earned $3.00 mowing lawns to buy his models

-> Small enough to fit a lot on the shelves.

-> I could see the size reference setting aircraft next to my vehicles.

When I can find them, I'll post some pics of my entire armor collection from 2021. It's been quite a journey getting here.

The models you posted are all simply outstanding, especially given they are all scratch built! Therein lies the difference between us; I'll complete a lot of models that are from kits and mostly OOB and you acgieve the same prod=cutivity doing scratch built models! Wow, way to go!

Still trying to get caught up; hopefully I'll be able to get something posted soon.

AAAAAAAAAAh  ,we definitely have something in commun , the love of building models, I see that I have the same way to keep my motivation going completed project weekly keep me going , I also find like you mention doing different type of subject help out my skill and motivation ..I'm glad I have stumble on your post and looking forward to have the chance to see what you latest completed projects or family gathering and what you are up to !  

GO,GO,GOOOOOOOOO we have model to build ..lol