The Duke Finishes Four Aircraft in December

Mark Deliduka

Well, three aircraft and a helicopter....

Despite having almost no time this month to do anything, I managed to squeeze in an hour or two occasionally on the bench. Thanks to Hobby Day though; which gave me a lot of time to work on things, I completed the following aircraft:

1/72 scale Hasegawa US Marine AV-8B Harrier:

full

full

full

Yes, the canopy is a fogged out mess! That is the result of using Mr. Mask liquid masking agent. If it didn't remain sticky the whole time it was on the canopy, it dried up so bad I had to scrape it off with a chisel. The sticky part wouldn't even come off without major persuasion; it would just stick back to the canopy when I tried to scrape it off. I used Goo Gone to try and clean it; I coated it in Furture, you see the results of both attempts. I will try to source a new canopy and windscreen for this model. Until then, I'm calling it done. If I waited till every model part was found or damaged ones replaced; I'd never be able to claim completions!

Moving on.....

The next one is a 1/72 scale Revell German Ho-229 Horten Flying Wing "Blue 4":

full

full

full

Followed by a 1/72 scale Trumpeter FC-1/JF-17 Thunder done in Pakistani markings:

full

full

full

Finally we wrap up with another US Marine subject, a 1/72 scale Dream Models US Marine AH-1Z Cobra:

full

full

full

There you have it, the last aircraft built in 2022 . My apologies for the picture quality, I still haven't found my camera. Thank you all for looking in, comments are welcome.
  • Like 2

Very nice! Completing 4 is a great way to wind up the year, though knowing you, you could have a few more up your sleeve in the next week! Too bad about that canopy.... I gave up on liquid masks years ago as being unreliable at the best and a gooey mess like yours at the worst. Hope you can replace the clear parts as that Harrier deserves it.

Gil :cool:

Edited by ghodges

Thank you Gil! Yeah, I should be able to pick something up to replace that canopy. I have been using less liquid masks since nothing has worked except for my old Hobbico brand that is fantastic! I like liquids because they are easier to get into unique corners and bend around tight curves.

I did have a few more models done; I completed eight this month. hey can be found in the armor and ships Forums...

• Like 1

Those look great Mark, as usual. Do you ever build 1/32 scale models?

Lessons learned on liquid mask, I was just getting ready to purchase some to try it out.  How do you get such smooth curves in your color scheme with an airbrush?

Can't you just buy a replacement canopy on EBay?  That's how I bought a replacement sprue for my P-51.  I would love to add a Harrier to my collection.  I'll never forget when we were inspecting a runway vault at the Patuxent Naval Air Station and a Harrier pilot decided to take a look from above at what we were doing, very cool, I felt like a groupie.

Stuart

Thank you Stuart! I'm glad you like these.

-> Do I ever build 1/32 scale models...One time I built (or tried to build) a 1/32 scale aircraft as a New Years Challenge by one of my friends at IPMS Orange County CA. I got it mostly finished but near the end, I had lost seven pieces I needed to finish; one of which was the canopy! I finally gave the model to a friend in Georgia who wanted it (and had spare kits in his storage unit to replace the missing parts). Naturally, five months after doing that, I found the canopy! Aside from that, I only build 1/32 and 1/48 scale aircraft for commission work or reviews. I like the consistency of a constant 1/72 scale among my collection; seeing each plane next to another 1/72 scale plane, or even a 1/72 scale tank or vehicle appeals to me immensely. It has ever since my youth when a friend showed me how much better everything looked when in the same scale. That is why all my aircraft and vehicles are all in a constant 1/72 scale. You could say it's my favorite scale; except for big four engine planes, everything is small enough to fit a lot of models on the shelves.

-> How I get such smooth curves in my color schemes with an airbrush... Two words actually: Silly Putty. Yes, I mask with Silly Putty so I can form the curves and waves to fit the pattern and the shoot the paint. If you look far enough back in my "Maddog Manufacturing" Thread, you'll see this technique being used and the results after the Silly Putty is removed.

-> Can I buy a replacement canopy on E-bay... Yes, once I get the money again. I'm self employed as a Handyman so the only time I get paid is when I'm called and hired for jobs. Lately, those calls have been few and far between. Still, I do plan on looking so that when I can pull the trigger again, I'll be able to fix that canopy. I had planned to use some Christmas money for that, but didn't get that much so after the purchases I chose were made there wasn't enough. I still have a birthday coming up!

That story is so cool. I think I'd feel like a groupie too! I already feel like I am, having followed the Thunderbirds for most of my life (father was Air Force) I'm sure that you could add a Harrier to your collection; I know a guy who has one in his 1/32 scale collection. That is a big bird though.

Thanks again Stuart!

18 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

That story is so cool. I think I'd feel like a groupie too! I already feel like I am, having followed the Thunderbirds for most of my life (father was Air Force)

We had an open-end contract with the Navy at PNAS.  I think we made 10 trips there from Baltimore and every time saw something very cool.  We designed the V-22 Ground Run Stand to facilitate testing the Osprey and watching them do that sent shivers down my spine.  We also climbed all over the trusses in one of the hangars and got to watch them testing prop engines.  Unfortunately I also got a speeding ticket on the base but that's okay since that was the day we saw the Osprey.  Just as cool, while we were designing a bridge replacement at Quantico we saw them practicing with the Osprey during our inspection of the existing bridge.