Creating an Inventory Database

Roktman

Hey all,

I've finally come to the conclusion that there's no way I can build all the kits in my stash. I had been toying with the idea of creating a database so if and when the time comes, my wife and son will know what I have, and approximately what they can get for my left over stash.

Besides mfg, model name, scale, what its worth or what I paid - can anyone think of something that might be important?  TIA.

Since most of my stash is in banker's boxes, I number the boxes and have a location field in my spread sheet to indicate which box a kit is stored. I also have columns for Classification (aircraft, armor, sci-fi, etc) and "Manufactured by/Series" (Douglas, North American, Grumman, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc). By filtering the data, this helps me quickly see if I already have a particular subject in my stash. I also list condition of the kit, i.e. bag kit or whether it is started, and in the notes I will list any aftermarket I may have for it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AZRhino said:

I also list condition of the kit, i.e. bag kit or whether it is started, and in the notes I will list any aftermarket I may have for it. 

Ooh, those are good ideas - I need to add those to my database spreadsheet. I'm always buying duplicate aftermarket bits! 

• Like 1

I use Excel. I created a workbook with a separate worksheet for each major category (1/72 aircraft, 1/700 ships, etc.) with columns for the important data (kit manufacturer, catalog number, subject, number in inventory, aftermarket parts, aftermarket decals, storage box number, etc.).

Edited by SkyKing
  • Like 1

Go to Scalemates. You can easily create an account and stash database there. The best thing is that if their database does not include an item, any member can add an item.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use Excel, mainly because I'm very familiar with it, and designed my spreadsheet to meet my needs. I list kit manufacturer, kit ID number from the box, and occasionally the box color. (These help me identify older, more collectable kits.) Most of my stash are aircraft kits, so I show aircraft type (ie, F-4E) and popular name (Phantom). I can sort on any column to instantly see how many F-4Es I already have so I don't buy any more.... it also helps me in the vendor room, as I can tell right away if I 'need" to buy a kit that I don't have. A kit ID number that starts with "V72" is a 1/72 vacuform, and an "R48" is a 1/48 resin.

I have kits that contain models that are partially built (I bought some small collections over the years from friends who abandoned model making), so I identify which have been started. Or are missing parts or decals. And I have a column that shows how many duplicate kits I have. Some are intentional, since I was going to build a couple of collections (no progress on those yet) and some are just because I REALLY like that aircraft type (F-15s and A-4s for example).

And, because I have more kits than I'll ever build, I color code those kits I'm willing to sell - and the price I'll ask for if/when I decide/get off my butt to sell them.

At the moment, there are 455 entries, with 150 that I'm willing to sell. Don't be shocked if you see me as a vendor at a future National!

My list won't work for everyone. It doesn't have to. It was designed by me, for me.

Mike

• Like 2

I use Access, and have for years.  I don't feel that Excel is as secure in the way it stores and saves records, but Access does take more effort to learn.  It has the ability to make reports and queries that Excel does not.  But I still keep buying multiples of the same kits!

Database.jpg