Substitute for future floor wax.

Narampa

First of all, FUTURE, as a brand, was discontinued many years ago. It was bought out and changed names. Essentially, it was a clear acrylic floor wax that people found could be airbrushed or brushed on to provide a clear gloss coat. Thus, what you should be looking for is a clear acrylic floor wax where you shop.

That said, you may find several different brands available. I believe the people who bought out Future put it back out under the PLEDGE label (Pledge with Future shine). I'd look at those products first, and if you can find that WITH the  "All Purpose" label; THAT is supposed to be the original formula that Future used. They do have other more specialized floor shine products, but I can't vouch for those.

You'll see others brands such as "Mop and Glo", etc.; but I'd avoid buying anything that is milky looking in the bottle. If it's as clear as water in the bottle, it may be useful, but it's also not a direct descendant of Future.

If all else fails, there are several hobby brand clear acrylic glosses available, and you may want to stick with those. The big advantage to Future back in the day was being able to get a LOT of gloss for much less money than you'd pay for a hobby brand. If your budget is tight, go hunting the Pledge stuff. If not, you may want to play it safe and pay a few extra dollars for something formulated FOR our hobby. Hope this helps!

Gil :cool:

1 hour ago, ghodges said:

First of all, FUTURE, as a brand, was discontinued many years ago. It was bought out and changed names. Essentially, it was a clear acrylic floor wax that people found could be airbrushed or brushed on to provide a clear gloss coat. Thus, what you should be looking for is a clear acrylic floor wax where you shop.

That said, you may find several different brands available. I believe the people who bought out Future put it back out under the PLEDGE label (Pledge with Future shine). I'd look at those products first, and if you can find that WITH the  "All Purpose" label; THAT is supposed to be the original formula that Future used. They do have other more specialized floor shine products, but I can't vouch for those.

You'll see others brands such as "Mop and Glo", etc.; but I'd avoid buying anything that is milky looking in the bottle. If it's as clear as water in the bottle, it may be useful, but it's also not a direct descendant of Future.

If all else fails, there are several hobby brand clear acrylic glosses available, and you may want to stick with those. The big advantage to Future back in the day was being able to get a LOT of gloss for much less money than you'd pay for a hobby brand. If your budget is tight, go hunting the Pledge stuff. If not, you may want to play it safe and pay a few extra dollars for something formulated FOR our hobby. Hope this helps!

I'm really not sure why you went to such lengths to tell me what I already know!

So there is no substitute being used out there, because that was my question.

Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The Holloway House Quick Shine floor finish in the green container is available in the UK from Lakeland. A lot more expensive than the old Kleer. £16 per bottle but still much cheaper than modelling aimed products.

I guess it is probably only 6 of 7 bucks in the states.

There must be many UK and USA modellers missing the Johnson's Kleer/Future and whatever else Johnson's renamed it, so Quick Shine looks to be a good alternative.

• 5 months later...

Kurt, I don't think there is a shelf life on this sort of thing. I am still using the remnants of a bottle of Klear that I bought about 12 years ago or more.

There IS a shelf life on Future/Pledge Shine/Kleer (acrylic clear floor wax), but it seems to be related to heat. I've had it go bad after several years (that's at last 3-5yrs or more), BUT, I've been modeling in my garage for decades, and only had air conditioning out there for the last couple of years. So, it seems that heat in excess of 80-85degs for many months of the year may cause it to become unusable. By the way, you can tell because it does eventually yellow slightly and also begins to thicken up a bit, becoming thicker than its original watery consistency.

If you keep it at normal room temp, or stored in a cabinet as intended, it may indeed have almost no shelf life!

I've got a bottle that has to be at least 20 years old and has not yellowed. Just down in the basement with all my other modeling supplies. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, CFster said:

Substitute? Doesn’t every model paint manufacturer make gloss varnishes? 

I build armor, I wouldn’t need Future or a substitute for anything but clear parts, but honestly I’ve never found anything that works better to give clear parts a crystal clear look, it’s very thin, self leveling and has a little “working” time. I would be very interested in something else with the same properties.

On 12/17/2023 at 8:29 AM, CaptainAhab said:

I build armor, I wouldn’t need Future or a substitute for anything but clear parts, but honestly I’ve never found anything that works better to give clear parts a crystal clear look, it’s very thin, self leveling and has a little “working” time. I would be very interested in something else with the same properties.

Yes most manufactures have a clear of some sort but I live in a small condo and cannot spray toxic fumes i just use acrylic hobby paints from craft stores.

10 hours ago, CFster said:

I polish my clear parts. 

10 hours ago, CFster said:

I polish my clear parts. 

What do you use to polish clear parts i would like to try it?

Just now, Narampa said:

Yes most manufactures have a clear of some sort but I live in a small condo and cannot spray toxic fumes i just use acrylic hobby paints from craft stores.

I’ll start with as coarse as 800 grit sanding sponge (especially if I’ve just had to scrape off a seam line) and move up progressively to 4000 or so and then switch to Tamiya Coarse, Fine and Finish polishing compound using a polishing sponge. Some people use Novus products, or even polishes from the auto parts store.