Name of 1960s Model company needed.

Narampa

Back in the early to mid 60s there was a model company that sold their models in a plastic bag with just a folded over picture of the model. This was stapled to keep the parts in the bag.

The  hardware store that sold these in my home town kept them in a big cardboard box behind the counter we kids were able to go back behind the counter and empty the box on the floor and pick out our model.

The models which I believe were only aircraft were 49 cents because I only got 50 cents for my allowance.

Does anybody know what the manufacture of these model was named? I would really like to hear from you if you know.

Thank you

Most likely Airfix. I have seen (and still have) some Frog kits packaged as you describe. But I have many more by Airfix and I saw these much more frequently. This packaging method was adopted by Airfix as a cost saving measure very early in their marketing history. Most of the Frog kits I purchased as a kid here in the Colonies -even the earliest ones- were under the Airlines label and boxed. It probably depended on what distributor was supplying the retail stores we shopped at. While I did purchase many bagged British sourced early Airfix  kits at a large hobby store such as Polk’s in New York City, many stores closer to my home in Albany carried Airfix kits released under the Craftmaster label in boxes. But this was admittedly later in the ‘60’s.

Most importantly, however, ANY of those early Airfix and Frog kits were so esoteric compared to what the American kit manufacturers were offering that I would have purchased them if they came wrapped in old newspaper- like Fish and Chips: also very British! 🤗 Nick 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Filippone said:

Most likely Airfix. I have seen (and still have) some Frog kits packaged as you describe. But I have many more by Airfix and I saw these much more frequently. This packaging method was adopted by Airfix as a cost saving measure very early in their marketing history. Most of the Frog kits I purchased as a kid here in the Colonies -even the earliest ones- were under the Airlines label and boxed. It probably depended on what distributor was supplying the retail stores we shopped at. While I did purchase many bagged British sourced early Airfix  kits at a large hobby store such as Polk’s in New York City, many stores closer to my home in Albany carried Airfix kits released under the Craftmaster label in boxes. But this was admittedly later in the ‘60’s.

Most importantly, however, ANY of those early Airfix and Frog kits were so esoteric compared to what the American kit manufacturers were offering that I would have purchased them if they came wrapped in old newspaper- like Fish and Chips: also very British! 🤗 Nick 

Thx Nick

Good info I am going to try and find some airfix kits.

I never heard of Frog.

4 hours ago, RCTHEFOX said:

I would afree with an earlier gentleman's reply that its either Airfix or Frog. You can still find some of these bagged kits at models shows.

Thank you I will keep my eyes open.