Another Opinion Needed...And It Doesn't Matter What Kind Of Model You Build

ipmsusa2

Regardless of  what you do or don't build, here's your chance to tell me...and everyone else who visits this forum....what style of video you like or don't like on Youtube.  I'm working on developing a new kit build channel.  Since I don't have the capability at the moment to produce full motion videos...and everything I've ever produced for books, magazines, etc has been static slides....I need to know the following:

Visit the channel...The M-Files...and view at least part of the current video.  If you like it, wonderful.  If not, tell me why.  I have several more vehicle videos I can post, using the same style as the one you're looking at...text description of the next image...and eventually moving on to other subjects, including aircraft and science fiction.  But I have to start with what I have or can adapt.  BTW, the next one, for those who are interested, will probably be the old AMT Clydesdale Hitch.

Anyhoo, your help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Personally, I don’t like it when the host blathers on and on about unrelated things for 10 minutes.  You know, like how he had the best tacos today at some place he can’t quite remember, but the tacos were so good mmmmmm.  Or wondering where his left sock went, and going off on a tangent about inter-dimensional laundry dryer theory and such.

Eating / chewing while doing the video is also a turn-off.  And swigging drinkies between lines.  I like hosts who are organized and prepared - it drives me nuts to have to sit through several minutes of the host digging around off-screen to find something, all the while losing his train of thought.  Gah.

If I had a channel, I would expect to be immediately bombarded with reaction videos with morons doing all of the above.  But since I don’t, the wiseacres can just suck it.

Guys like Plasmo and Nightshift are good in my opinion.  But they do gloss over some nuts and bolts stuff that would have been informative to see.  I do like self deprecating humor.  The uber-experten who don’t even smile turn me off.  I mean… why so serious?

Good luck on your videos, and hope a lot of people smash that “like” button!

Another site had a link to a Leno "presentation" of an interesting car so I took a look.  Ten minutes or so of him blathering on while blocking most of the car with his face or bulk.  The move he made to block the view of the engine as he lifted the hood looked well rehearsed.  One could tell the color of the car, not much else.

9 hours ago, Neo said:

Guys like Plasmo and Nightshift are good in my opinion.  But they do gloss over some nuts and bolts stuff that would have been informative to see.

Ditto. Both have great content that is clear and concise.

Very nice job on the video. I too like that there is no useless talking to kill time. Keep up the good work.

David Von Almen, Gentleman Modeler

On 10/19/2022 at 4:12 AM, Nortley said:

Another site had a link to a Leno "presentation" of an interesting car so I took a look.  Ten minutes or so of him blathering on while blocking most of the car with his face or bulk.  The move he made to block the view of the engine as he lifted the hood looked well rehearsed.  One could tell the color of the car, not much else.

Ah yes, the classic case of the most of the host.  We had a weatherman here that used to stand in front of the weather map and gesture wildly with both arms, completely blocking the view.

If one is not camera-friendly, then staying out of the frame is a good idea.  If you look like a movie star, then OK show yer mug.  But people want to see the model, not perfect shining white teeth.

And if a major disaster strikes, it might be helpful to document it, but don’t dwell on it.  Just focus on the recovery procedure.

So basically, good lighting and camera angle, organized work area, well scripted and rehearsed presentation, and a little self-deprecating humor will go a long way to making a good, watchable video.

Edited by Neo

First, write a script. Eliminate any extraneous, not-on-topic material. Have someone review script to see if it makes sense and includes all important points. Rehearse shoot, positioning camera so as not to block important elements of story and noting same. Shoot video, sticking to script.

Edited by SkyKing

• 5 months later...
On 4/8/2023 at 1:31 PM, Narampa said:

I really hate a big blast of music and splashy graphics that mean nothing!

Straight to the point is great.

x2. 

I don't need to see you open the box.  Lay everything out before you start.

• 3 months later...

I didn't watch any examples you ported, mainly because what I do and don't like in videos is universal.

Long intros with wild graphics and loud music. Don't do that. Keep it short and sweet.  I this is so and so with a video about this or that and then just get to it.

I think getting to the point and keeping the videos short is a univeral thing. Don't do a whole project in one video. Break it down into little pieces that you can cover in 10 minutes or less.  The shorter the better.

Example: Don't do a big long video showing how to add a whole transkit to a car body. Break it down. Do a video on the prep work required for a 3D printed part. Then do a video on how you test fit a couple pieces. Like what do you use to temporarily fit a part. Do a third video showing how you attach a body panel and then add filler to blend it in. And so on. Break a task into small bite-sized pieces.

And like others have said, don't blather on and on about something that doesn't pertain to what the video is about. And don't turn your video into a big ad for whoever sent you stuff for free. HPI Guy is guilty of this. He goes on and on about this that and the other thing that got sent to him. He has even branched out into non-scale modeling stuff to cash in on.  We get it, you are trying to make money on your videos. But you shouldn't turn your videos into a big long ad, or talk about how you got free stuff.

I hope this helps.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Videos exclusively about 'opening the box' that take half an hour.          Pointless!

Also, shaky video filming and disorganised presenters that are too full of their own self importance going randomly off topic. Result. A very amateur looking video.

Good lighting, following a story board, tripod mounted camera if shooting from one position should be pre requisites to planning and executing a coherent video.

Edited by noelsmith

Hello Noel, David, Neal, et al,

Couldn't agree more.  And let's add clear, understandable English to your prerequisites list.  Slack provided for those whose first language is not English. 

That said, I've been out of pocket for the last sixteen months or so due to a couple of serious medical problems involving my wife.  It has been necessary to sell all our property in Ft. Worth, put my commission work on hold and even limit my IPMS/USA contacts/activities.  I'm finally beginning to crawl back out of the basement...including breathing life back into The M Files ...but it's a very slow process.   So, now that I've soaked your crying towels, I'd appreciate it if you would check out my M Files channel (a link a little further back in this post).  Right now there's one gallery of finished models showcasing various buildings I've built for clients, as well as two stop motion builds...alternating description screens and step by step screens before I ran out of time to work on the channel.  Background music but no narration...me reading the text screens...unless enough of you think that addition would be worthwhile.  Finally, I'd like to know...both from you and anyone else reading this,  If you like the approach, what type of subjects y'all would like to see, etc.  All comments welcome, positive or negative.

Hello Richard,

That is a real bummer having to sell up your property to cover medical bills for your wife and hope that things have worked out OK. It surprises me that the US does not now have a health service available to all, being the richest country in the whole world. I thought that Obama Care was a health care system being put into place to set up something available to all.

We Brits often complain about our National Health Service, but for all its problems thank goodness  we have it and it is available for everybody.

It sounds as though you are gradually getting back somewhere to where you were before, and wish you well in the process.