Removing Tamiya Paint

Narampa

I have not painted a model for a number of years and I painted a car body. Having not painted in years guess what I botched it.

I have tried every method known to man and I am unable to remove the paint.

I have searched every site and and watched every YOUTUBE video about removing paint from a model.

Please i need help! The color I used was Tamiya PS5 Black. In a rattle can.

I have now tried everything suggested on most utube channels and internet sights, nothing works . 

99% alcohol......Oven cleaner..........Paint remover..........etc etc etc 

I am beat! ( one model in the garbage.)

Tamiya is not ever going to grace space again!

I know all these manufactures are trying to save the planet but maybe TAMIYA should take a look at the problem because with all my trying I have probably put more crap down the drain in the past two days to destroy a few species.

Edited by Narampa

Unfortunately, the PS line is designed for Lexan RC car bodies and even on the RC forums they can't find anything to safely take it off without damaging the body.

Edited by AZRhino
context

Now that makes a lot of sense! Lexan bodies need the extra firmness. Mystery is solved for me.

I was standing in the hobby shop with the model I was about to purchase asked the guy working there what paint he recommended, boy was he wrong.

thank-you very much for the comment.

would be nice if that was indicated on the can!

Edited by Narampa

Tamiya makes it's own Paint remover. Have you tried it? There are several tutorials on UTube of people removing paint from lexan bodied RC cars. I have no idea what paint was on them originally or what effect that remover would have on styrene, but if it's a last resort, maybe you have nothing to lose?

I tried the good old paint remover from Lowes. Didn't even touch it. But one thing I never thought of was using Tamiya paint remover, actually our hobby shop is not great but I will talk to them about it.

Thank you 

12 hours ago, Narampa said:

would be nice if that was indicated on the can!

Well it is, sort of if you have the code. 

PS-Polycarbonate Lacquer in rattle can

TS- Lacquers in a rattle can

AS- In a rattle can mostly aircraft colors

XF- acrylic(water based) in a 10ml round jar.  Also flat enamel if in the small square jar

LF- Lacquer in a bottle(same stuff you get in a rattle can but in a jar) 

X- enamels in small square jars.  The enamels are generally not available in the USA.

Edited by PeteJ

Narampa - If you can't find it locally, it is available on-line. Just do a search for Tamiya Paint Remover. For some reason, things that work on every other paint don't seem to effect Tamiya's. In any case, stripping a whole model is a messy fiddly business. I hope it works out for you. Oh, and remember to test it first on a painted scrap piece of model/plastic to make sure it doesn't "eat" the plastic. 

https://www.stripwell.com/qcs-model-safe.html#/

These guys showed up to vend at last summer's Scalefest show & contest.  I bought a bottle.  It is advertised as working well to remove enamel & acrylic paints,  I asked about lacquers and they said it works well on them.  I have used it on Colourcoat enamel and Vallejo & Scale Color acrylics with no problems.  Not tried it on lacquer.   They claim that it is safe to use on polystyrene and urethane resins.   I did find that it was harmful to some 3D print resin, use with caution.  

After use, pour off the excess into a sealable jar for reuse.

It has also worked to strip some household paint on a woodworking project

14 hours ago, Narampa said:

I have now tried everything suggested on most utube channels and internet sights, nothing works . 

99% alcohol......Oven cleaner..........Paint remover..........etc etc etc 

I am beat! ( one model in the garbage.)

Tamiya is not ever going to grace space again!

I know all these manufactures are trying to save the planet but maybe TAMIYA should take a look at the problem because with all my trying I have probably put more crap down the drain in the past two days to destroy a few species.

Did you try Super Klean engine degreaser or brake fluid?  These are my go to  when all else fails.  Warning, these two do not like skin so wear gloves and eye protection if you choose to try them. 

I am always hesitant to use brake fluid. The one time I used it to strip a model of paint it softened the plastic, warping the part beyond usage. If you decide to go that route, watch it closely!

4 hours ago, Narampa said:

I am going to pickup brake fluid in the next few minutes. I have my fingers crossed!

I've had some luck stripping tamiya spray paint with 90+% isopropyl alcohol from the first aid section of the grocery store.  Let it soak a while. Seems to get most of the paint off,  but always a little left behind. 

Ok I have tried everything! Including brake fluid.

In my time I have painted aircraft boats and cars. 1 truck. These are the type that cost thousands of dollars to have painted. I stripped an aluminum boat 18 footer with an industrial paint remover (five gallons for the whole boat) Excellent results. Those were in the 80s 90s 2000s.

Now I can't  strip an 8 inch model car????

Tamiya is crap!

Are we trying to save the world by manufacturing frustration and costly things that don't work?

When I see the kids today line up at city hall and put their cell phones in a big pile I will get on the bandwagon. Any idea what the impact on our ecology is with all the cell phones in the the world? No because nobody cares.

But with that said the world is nothing but a celestial garbage dump.

My rant for the time being!

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Adios TAMIYA!

Actually Tamiya is a very good paint. As Mike and Pete said, you used the PS paint line which is designed to etch into Lexan. It is strong and hot stuff. Not surprised it won't come off easy. The AS and TS Tamiya paint line are the paints that are for plastic models. I'd chalk it up to a live and learn lesson and give the AS and TS (with  their primer) lines a go.

Edited by TheDude
  • Like 1

You can always try sanding off as much of the old paint as possible, polishing the plastic, priming, and repainting.

Oh, before you put yourself through that ordeal, try the Tamiya paint remover first, internet order or otherwise. It could save you hours of labor and mess.