BKB category 138

I am planning on building a Trumpeter 1/32 Dauntless. The kit has PE seatbelts, does that disqualify it from this category? If so, can I still enter it in that category if I do not use the seatbelt’s?

Mike

At the risk of being too legalistic, the way the rules read (in the currently posted National Contest Rules on IPMS website), the inclusion of photo-etched parts in the box would render the kit ineligible for BKB. As presently written, an exception is apparently not offered just because the other media parts are not used. Has this rule been modified since the 2022 Nationals? Or, are we to interpret the rule to simply bar inclusion of the non-plastic parts on the finished model? 

Nick Filippone, Senior National Judge 

On 10/17/2022 at 2:15 PM, MRechlicz said:

The PE parts in the kit I plan on building are the hinges on the flaps! I plan on leaving the flaps up so I really do not need the hinges.

Mike

Put a note on the entry form and tape the pieces to the form.

Any reason why IPMS/UK competition rules can't be studied for ideas? Their categories include:

Standard Kit (SK) • A single, commercially produced injection moulded plastic or resin kit, built to the manufacturer's specifications, straight from box. Seatbelts, rigging and aerials may be added as appropriate to the subject. • No opened cockpits or hatches are allowed unless it is an option in the kit. • No additional items such as external stowage/boxes or tarpaulins or chains are permitted. • Changes in colour scheme and aftermarket decals are permitted e.g. Me109 from German to Spanish markings. • Kit instructions must be placed with the entry card or the model will be disqualified. • In the event that the kit instructions have been lost, the model may still be entered at the discretion of the Competition Secretary, on the understanding that, should the said instructions be required by the judges and not be available, the model will be disqualified

Any Source Detailed (ASD) • A Standard Kit that has additional detailing added from any commercial sources and/or significant additional detail built by the modeller. • This definition also includes any kit parts relocated or reworked by the modeller. Aftermarket tracks, wheels, gun barrels, machine guns etc are examples of what would be considered included in ASD entries. • Cockpits/vehicle hatches and doors may be opened and any inspection hatches, wing/rotor folds or bomb bays provided as an option in the original kit can be posed open and the interior of the hatch/bomb bay/ wing fold may be detailed in this class.

Any Source Converted (ASC) • This is a model that is built to a specification or variant other than that intended by the manufacturer. • Commercial, non-commercial and/or scratch-built parts may be used. • A change of colour scheme and/or decals shall not constitute a conversion, regardless of any change of designation to the model. • A converted model may be detailed to any level desired by the modeller.

Vacformed (V) • A commercial kit where the main body parts and/or flying surfaces are of vac-formed plastic, but it can contain any other detailed parts from any source. • These kits may be detailed to any level desired by the modeller.

Scratch Built (S) • A model constructed where the main body parts (50 percent or more) and/or flying surfaces are home-made or vac-formed plastic, other than of a commercial nature. • The basic structure should be of plastic although a supporting (wooden) core is permitted. • A scratch built model may be detailed to any level desired by the modeller.

Super Detailed (SD) • Any model that has large areas of structure (more than 10 percent) or hatches, inspection panels and turrets not provided as options in the original kit removed/opened and significant detail added by the modeller, this can be either from commercial and/or scratch-built parts. • Wing or rotor folds not included as part of the original kit shall fall into this class. • Subjects which have an exterior skin or covering removed to show interior structure shall also be classed as super detailed.

Bases and Cases • Bases will be allowed in all categories and will not be considered in the judging except dioramas

https://ipmsuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/IPMS-UK-Scale-ModelWorld-2022-Competition-Rules-V1-1.pdf

Seems to work for them. Or do we still have something against furriners and their nefarious ideas? 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PaulBradley said:

Seems to work for them. Or do we still have something against furriners and their nefarious ideas? 😉

Only when they make sense.  😁

• Like 1