Looking for BLACK Styrene Rods

SkyKing

Does anyone produce small-diameter (i.e., 0.010 inch and 0.020 inch) styrene rods in black? All I can find on-line are white (Plastruct and Evergreen brands). But I recently purchased some new old-stock Contrail styrene rods on eBay, and they were black, unlike the gray styrene I remembered from years past, so I know they can be produced.

Contail stopped trading years ago. They used to make vac formed aircraft kits.

I had their Bear and Bison kits but was a bit daunted as they looked like too much hard work to do anything with.

Yes, I know Contrail is defunct. My point is, Contrail got those black rods from somewhere. I don’t think they produced them in-house, unless I’m greatly mistaken.

Hmmmm.... can't say I've seen any colored extruded plastic rod.

Why are you looking for black in particular? Perhaps if you tell us what you plan to do, we might offer an alternative.

The most obvious beginning alternative is to make your own. Find some black kit sprue (old Monogram kits are good for that) and stretch it down to the size you need. It'll take some practice to not stretch it overly thin and get a length with consistent diameter.... but that in itself is a useful skill to sharpen!

Gil :cool:

All sprue rod I see now is either white or grey. Any reason you can't paint it black? Personally, like Gil, I'd just stretch some black sprue. You'll find that some company's plastic stretches better than others, but keep trying and find the one that works best for you. If you haven't done it before, here's a short tutorial. Cut a piece of sprue about 3-4 inches long with no "nubs" on it, just a straight run of sprue. Get a candle or some other source of heat. I use one of those short really thick candles as you get a nice steady flame and they last forever. Light the candle and wait a minute for the flame to steady. Then hold the sprue at both ends just above the top of the flame and keep turning it until it gets a sort of glossy look to it and is limp. This is where some practice comes in as the time/distance from the flame involved will differ with different plastics. Then take it out of the flame and stretch it. Depending on the plastic and how thick/thin you want it to be, you may stretch it quickly or slowly. When you start to get some resistance, stop and let one end of the sprue swing free. If you don't stop it may snap and you may have to do it all over again and by letting the end swing free, the sprue will hang straight and not curl up or bend. I tape one end to an old door and let it hang there until it's cool and/or needed. 

• Like 1