Palmer/Lifelike/Encore "Civil War Cannon"

Ron Bell

This is the third of the five artillery kits that Palmer did, their "Civil War Cannon", which I have found out to be an 18 pdr. They called it a 'parrot gun', but it does not have the typical bulge over the breach area that is typical of those type guns, but then again, I'm no expert. I build models. 

Anyway, the only thing I did to this one was close in the carriage and put a piece of styrene tubing down the muzzle to simulate the barrel better. The rest is OOTB. Lot's of flash, mold seams and sink marks to deal with, but it builds up into a nice display piece, if not an authentic replica. I chose the color for the carriage on a whim. The various memorial cannons and those on battlefield parks are painted all sorts of colors, so I just went with this. 

PS: Jeesh, I think there are only 4-5 of us that post here. 

PXL_20220914_145637018.jpeg

PXL_20220914_145656741.jpeg

PXL_20220914_145719337.jpeg

PXL_20220914_145735721.jpeg

• Like 1

Magnificent work Ron! That is fantastic! I love the cast iron look on the barrel. That is an interesting color on the gun carriage. It may also be an accurate one too. I get together with a group of friends at our Hobby Days and at least three of them are Civil War aficionados. One explained that each battery was identified by the color of their carriages. Most chose red or blue, but there are indications of other colors too. It's hard to tell for sure, color film was extremely rare and expensive in Civil War days...

I agree, far too few people post  here, given the size of the organization. Man, I wish more people would participate in this area of the Forums.