!st Lunar Landing

rossjr

This is the Monogram 1/48 1st Lunar Landing from the 10th anniversary release. Revell has repopped this kit for the 40th.... It was a fun build I threw together for the local model contest, the theme was a Moment in time an I thought this appropriate.... Enjoy!

01_Lunar.jpg

02_Lunar.jpg

03_Lunar.jpg

05_Lunar.jpg

This certainly looks much better than the live images we strained to watch on our TV's back in 1969. The picture quality on the first mission landing was terrible, with severe contrast problems and very grainy images. It was in B/W, not color also.

My friends and I watched it all in the midst of a wine & fondue party. My wife (now, not then) watched the broadcasts in English with Italian translations superimposed over through TV store windows in Rome, Italy. She lost most of the content of Walter Cronkite's explanations and the terrible voice quality from the moon because of the translator constantly speaking over them.

This is one of the best moments in time to remember, and only those of us older than 45 do not think of the event as dull history they had to memorize in school. Yes, I allowed for a five-year-old in 1969 to remember it vaguely.

Ed

I remember watching it at home, this was between 1st & 2nd grade for me, then for the landings that occured during school having everyone file out into the hall so 3-4 classes could watch on a big 25" TV screen.... Yes, I does evoke memories with a lot of people and sparked the imagination of a lot of people...

• 2 weeks later...

For "throwing it together" you did a fine job! I had turned 11 that June, and as usual, I was spending my summer vacation at my grandmother's. She and I sat welded to the TV, watching every grainy flicker, absorbing every word, and she said, "Michael, remember this day, this is important". Born in 1902, she had lived through a number of other "important" days, and she wanted to make sure this one got its deserved recognition and remembrance.

I was a senior in High School when that happened.

In the 70s at the nationals in Atlanta, someone had a landing diorama with the caption, "Houston, we have a problem". One of the astronauts was looking at a crater where he found a Coors can.

I was a senior in High School when that happened.

In the 70s at the nationals in Atlanta, someone had a landing diorama with the caption, "Houston, we have a problem". One of the astronauts was looking at a crater where he found a Coors can.

Oh that's good!! I'd have loved to have seen a pic of that model!

Ross, that is an outstanding job! Your gold foil work is incredible. I like it.

I was seven years old when this happened and my wife was just born. Of all the things we've accomplished, this for me tops them all. We could use a bit of the pioneering sprit that made this possible right now. We can do great things when we want to. Very nice job. Thanks for posting it.

Chris