Best Restaurants in San Marcos Area...

Traveling is as much a Gastronomical adventure as anything else, therefore, I would ask of Mr. Pillhofer and company to put forth their best local restaurant recommendations. I understand how subjective food is, so no static.

Where would you suggest for the:

Best Authentic Mexican

Best Italian

Best Steakhouse

Best Seafood

Best Vegan (My wife is Pescatarian..maybe you are, too).

I'm asking locals for local recommendations. Believe me, I've looked at Trip Advisor. I believe about 30% of what they say.

Well, a half hour away is the location of three of the best BBQ joints in the State.  Lockhart (no. not the IPMS President) is the home of Kreuz, Black's, and Smitty's.

No trip to central Texas is complete without some real barbecue,  cut to order in the pit room and served on red butcher paper.   No sauce, or sauce on the side if you must!

And don't overlook Black's BBQ and Hays County BBQ, both in San Marcos. Hays County is just a mile or so from the Convention Center.

Good BBQ would sell more banquet tickets.

Have you considered having food trucks roll up during the day? Several local shows have started doing this to rave reviews. There's not much nearby, and "up the road" and/or "across" the interstate involves a 2 mile drive which will come as a surprise to those not accustomed to one-way frontage roads, and the u-turn lanes before the lights will frustrate some.

• Like 2

The only problem with food trucks, at least from those we have tried to get, is they require a set number of bodies to sell to.  I think a Nats can handle that volume but we can't seem to get them to a local show.

3 hours ago, jcorley said:

Good BBQ would sell more banquet tickets.

Have you considered having food trucks roll up during the day? Several local shows have started doing this to rave reviews. There's not much nearby, and "up the road" and/or "across" the interstate involves a 2 mile drive which will come as a surprise to those not accustomed to one-way frontage roads, and the u-turn lanes before the lights will frustrate some.

This is a great idea.

I agree with Phil about the food trucks. We looked at getting some for a game convention that was just under the attendance target they wanted. They did say they would come, however it was gonna cost $1500.00 per day. A bit high for our convention so we had to pass.

Nationals definitely could handle the requirement though....