BF-109H-0 Finish Questions

TonyD

The BF-109H was a high altitude version of the BF-109. It had extended wingspan and larger stabilizers and rudder. The H-0 was the initial prototype built using a BF109-F airframe of which I believe only 1 was built. The H-1 was a follow-on model using BF-109G airframes (different engine).

I am building a model of the H-0 using an Airmodel vacuform conversion kit I bought a long time ago. I also bought the SMER BF109-F4 to use as the base kit.

The instructions state the aircraft (H-1) is to be painted overall RLM02 Gray with codes DV+JS.  They don't give a scheme for the H-0.

I have not been able to find any material on color or codes for the H-0 except for William Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich which gives the code as DV+JB.

Monogram's Official Painting Guide to German Aircraft states that typically prototype aircraft were finished in the color scheme of the eventual service aircraft which contradicts the conversion kit painting instructions.

Just wondering if anyone could point me to some info on this aircraft? Probably shouldn't have picked a one of a kind to model!

Thanks in advance.

Tony, Looks like you picked a tough one. According to Richard A Franks in Airframe & Miniature #11 the Bf 109 H-0) (Pre-production) may have as many as 6 built, but it is unknown if any were actually used operationally. No photos of these aircraft are known to exist, but based on documents the following are known:

Based on the G series (some say the F-4/Z

Daimler Benz DB605E (some say DB601E)

Wingspan extended to 21.9m

Extended tailplanes

Wide track undercarriage fitted

Fixed tailwheel, long oleo leg and covered recess

Fitted with GM-1 power boost system

Provisions to carry a camera (maybe R-3, or flat ports like G-8)

No provisions to carry a 300l drop tank

Note: It is claimed by some that one of these(W/Nr 110073) was used in the photo-reconnaissance role by Fernaufklarungsgruppe 123 in May 1944

The profile shown in the book only shows the crosses in the 6 standard positions and the tail swastikas 

Not much help, and it may be that you already know much of this, but possibly you could find a photo of Gruppe 123 and work from that. Also, I believe AZ models offer this kit in 1/72 scale, so you could look to see what they think the aircraft looked like.

Good luck.

John

Thanks John. I don't have that Airframe & Miniature so I'll need to pick one up. There are a couple kits from AZ models;  I looked up this a/c in Scalemates and found copies of the instruction sheets which include painting instructions but they were all H-1 models.

Working from Gruppe 123 is a good idea...

Tony,

I went  online and looked up AZ Models Bf 109 H-0 #AZ7540 and there were images of not only the instructions but also 3 color schemes. Give that a try. I don't know if AZ has any more information than Richard Franks, but it is a start,