What do you get when you cross a ................. (Warning This thread may contain graphic images of a Kit Bash)

And so, it begins.
The first incision has been made into the upper backbone of the F-111 to install the Astromech socket.
Making final adjustments for the height of the droid using spare parts inside the F-111 Fuselage just forward of the Wing Pivot mechanism.

F111-Xwing_bash_001.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_002.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_003.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_004.jpg

• Like 1

I've attached the Laser Cannons to the Pylons for stations 3, 4, 5, & 6 (the pivot pylons)
Not sure if the cannons will need to be shortened to make them look more believable,
I just wonder that as they are not rear mounted wings like the X-Wing that the Cannons may appear a little out of proportion, I guess we'll see when complete.

Also started the cockpit build.

F111-Xwing_bash_005.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_006.jpg

• Like 1

Have started on the undercarriage.

I've decided to run with Millennium Falcon Undercarriage parts as the max take off weight of the F-111 is 92,500 lbs, and the little delicate X-Wing landing gear would crumple under the load.

Nose Undercarriage uses a single landing pad from a Millennium Falcon which has been trimmed (Cut & Shut) to accommodate the slightly narrower nose wheel well.

F111-Xwing_bash_035.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_036.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_037.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_038.jpg

• Like 1

Main gear seen here in mock-up (not yet all glued up) using parts from the Falcons main gear. Funnily there are gaps in the molding that the F-111 stub axels fit right into. I will stabilize and fix with Araldite.

All in all I like the look of the gear, it's not that much lower than what the F-111 would sit with Tires, but just enough to make it look a little pimped out.

F111-Xwing_bash_038.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_039.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_040.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_041.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Oh this is looking sharp! Brilliant idea! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks, Appreciate that.

I thought it would be fun to merge the Aircraft I spent years working on with the one I'd like to work on (and fly off this rock 🤣)

Loving the idea.

Is it going to be on the tables at Omaha?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, philp said:

Loving the idea.

Is it going to be on the tables at Omaha?

I'm planning on having it done for Best in the West in Vegas next month

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, then I will see it there.  Which category are you thinking?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, philp said:

Cool, then I will see it there.  Which category are you thinking?

This will be my first showing ever, and I think this kit belongs in section 52, Vacuform, Scratchbuilt, Paper, Wood & Kit bash.
I've also got my Millennium Falcon, my first Kit in 35 years that I'm bringing along too. It's now a show stopper but I'm still pretty proud of it

Nice Idea!

Reminds me of the scratch built models that appeared after the debut of Star Wars...............

Squadron Shop in Elmhurst. Illinois had a 2 foot long model inspired by the blockade runner

while another Chicago hobby shop one block south of Belmont-  on Cicero avenue - had a Revell X3 modified into a craft similar to the X wing.

Looking forward to seeing your completed model.

Edited by cheveuxroux
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is the finished product for all those interested.
it was a super fun build.

I have a long way to go with my quality, I'm a bit of a 'just get it done' kinda guy.

Just have to slow down a bit I guess.
Couple of shots of it on the table at Best in the West

F111-Xwing_bash_057.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_051.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_055.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_056.jpg

F111-Xwing_bash_058.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mark Deliduka said:

That rocks man! What a sensational kitbash! So seamless! I'm also a "just get it done" kind of guy as well, but mine never look this great when I get them done!

Thanks Mark.

appreciate the comments

Now that I've done a kitbash I've actually started looking for other kits I can bash together in the coming years.
Should be fun.