Nats by Region

From time to time, I get a wild hair and like to analyze stuff.  I wondered, by region, who supports IPMS by sponsoring a Nats.  Here's what I got over the last 20 years (2004 - 2023)

2004 - Phoenix (R10)

2005 - Atlanta (R3)

2006 - Kansas City (R14)

2007 - Anaheim (R8)

2008 - Virginia Beach (R2)

2009 - Columbus (R4)

2010 - Phoenix (R10)

2011 - Omaha (R14)

2012 - Lake Buena Vista (R11)

2013 - Loveland (R10)

2014 - Hampton (R2)

2015 - Columbus (R4)

2016 - Columbia (R12)

2017 - Omaha (R14)

2018 - Phoenix (R10)

2019 - Chattanooga (R3)

2020 - Cancelled

2021 - Las Vegas (R8)

2022 - Omaha (R14)

2023 - San Marcos (R6)

Giving us:

4 Nationals - Regions 10 and 14

2 Nationals - Regions 2, 3, 4, and 8

1 National - Regions 6. 11, and 12

0 Nationals sponsored:  Regions 1, 5, 7, and 13.  Region 13, because of its nature, is unlikely to sponsor a Nats.

Not going beyond satisfying my curiosity, but it is interesting to see which Regions have stepped up over the last two decades.  I am very appreciative of those Regions which have ... especially multiple times.  Good on you.

Edited by Highlander

I’m guessing if Hawaii held a National Convention, it would set a record for the largest attendance with the fewest model entries.  Small scale would dominate - who would buy an airline seat to transport a 1/72 B-52, except Monogram (according to legend).

The vendor room would be selling shaky hula dolls and mac nut chocolates.  And the convention halls would be deserted, because everyone would be out at the beaches or golf courses.  Plus no one could drive over, unless their car had a 2500+ mile range and could operate over water!

The Hawaii guys have been asked about hosting a Nats many times, but there just aren’t enough people here to make it work.  And then there are the high costs of airfare, lodging, and venue.

13 minutes ago, Neo said:

...The Hawaii guys have been asked about hosting a Nats many times...

Are you sure you didn't mean that the Hawaii guys have been begged to host a Nats?

As to transport, IPMS could charter a cruise ship.  However, if all of the rooms were taken up instantaneously, like within CONUS, not many who missed out would rent an outrigger as an alternate.

Just for comparison here is a link to where the chapters are.

https://ipmsusa.org/region-map

So looks like the northern half of the US hasn't done a show in the last 20 years.  I did go to Seattle back in 1992.

If we take it Western, Central and Eastern like it used to rotate (I went almost every 3 years when it was out west) the breakdown is:

West - 6

Central - 5

East - 8

Also, if Hawaii or Alaska had a show, I would go.

I might even have to bring a few of my vignettes (everything 72nd) to pack the tables.  Other than the tours of Pearl Harbor, Wheeler Field, etc. I would probably be at the convention site otherwise, snarfing up any vendor deals.  Shipping to Utah probably isn't that bad and I would gladly pay for an extra suitcase for the trip back.

My buddy, Phil Cater or IPMS/UK once brought 45-60 72nd scale aircraft to Phoenix for the Nats.  They were mainly on the SIG tables but still, he built a special box and packed them tight.  Even I managed to get 5 to Telford one year.

A common topic in my club is where the upcoming Nats will be, combined with where we would like them to be.  It usually boils down to an area that (1) hasn't had a Nats at all or had one in the last couple of decades or (2) has other attractions.  We talk about the Nats we really enjoyed ... one of our guys loved Chicago.  I really liked Anaheim and Oklahoma City.

Our consensus recently has been Dayton OH ... so we could arrive a couple of days early and spend them at the AF Museum.  I lived in Dayton and I could easily spend three or four days visiting my old haunts.  New Orleans has been popular ... the WWII Museum is a big  attraction.  In my case, again, I've spent time there and can navigate the bus/streetcar system and know where to eat.

There are many places that are attractive.  Even Hawaii and Alaska.  Once IPMS members get over the hurdle of understanding that hotel prices will never go back to what they used to be, we might see some exciting locations.

David,

As part of the Board I am looking forward to my first selection process at this coming Nats.

From what I understand, the rotate around the country isn't in play anymore because we ran into times where no one in those areas submitted a bid.  A few clubs I have talked to, while interested, said they don't have the manpower to pull off a Nats.  I would love to see SLC host another one, we are a Delta hub, within driving distance for about half of the US (I consider 2 days as driving distance) and have some great attractions nearby (Hill Aerospace Museum, Ft. Douglas Museum, Utah Army National Guard, Utah Air National Guard and the Model Car Museum all within an hours drive.