2024 Bid Submission

On 7/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, jcorley said:

So, there I was, TINS, talking to Lockhart at the Eduard booth around 1330 yesterday, about the big secret regarding the bid when the guy behind him says "My club in [censored] is bidding for 2024"

Dave just shakes his head andsays "well, you didnt hear it from me"

So much for the big secret.  It lasted all of about half an hour after the show opened!!

That's funny!  I'm sure there are others knew earlier than that though. 😄

The facility has nothing to do with the UW! It is not located on campus. It is a short distance from downtown Madison. 
It should be a really good convention.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's everything y'all need to know pertaining to Madison's 2024 Nats at this point. We are still a long way off, although there's much work to be done between now and then. 

This is, of course, Mad City's first National Convention. The clubs in the region are excited, and the team is enthusiastic and full of great ideas to make the attendee experience memorable and enjoyable. We'll do our utmost to implement whatever additional amenities we can without losing our mission focus of accomplishing all of the boiler-plated tasks required of every national convention.

That being said, we're already getting negative feedback from people..."It's too far", "I hate the Wisconsin Badgers", "I got a DWI up there in 1987, so I'm never going back to Wisconsin", (yes, these are real) etc... Please keep in mind, we have a job to do, and its not an easy one. If you choose not to attend because you hate the Wisconsin Badgers (and I'm a NY transplant, so enough of that) or it's too far for you to travel, that's on YOU, not on US. We're sorry that we're way up here in the frozen tundra of the Midwest. Regardless, no matter where the National Convention happens, it inevitably becomes a very long drive for someone. If you choose to make that LONG journey from where ever you are, we will do our best to make it a wonderful experience for you and your families. Now...back to work...

Jeff Herne
2024 IPMS National Convention Chairman 
Region 5 Coordinator

IPMS 2024 Madison_Final_Ver.pptx

• Like 5

My wife is actually thinking she'd like to come - she's heard lots of good things about that area of the country. I've never been to Wisconsin so it'll be a first for me. 

As for it being too far - well, that's true of anywhere for a lot of people, but them's the breaks. Just about anywhere WE want to go is one plane change away nowadays, and we aren't letting that be our excuse for not going. As I'm not intending to enter anything in the contest, it's a non-issue for me - I'll save all my entries for the next time Phoenix hosts....! 😁

2 hours ago, Jeff Herne said:

"It's too far", "I hate the Wisconsin Badgers", "I got a DWI up there in 1987, so I'm never going back to Wisconsin"

Wah... can't please everybody. And what does the University have to do with this?! Does that mean we can't ever do a national in Ohio again or Alabama? (Lots of people hate the Tide and Buckeyes)

Keep track of those who a whining and see if they register

20 hours ago, Jeff Herne said:

Here's everything y'all need to know pertaining to Madison's 2024 Nats at this point. We are still a long way off, although there's much work to be done between now and then. 

This is, of course, Mad City's first National Convention. The clubs in the region are excited, and the team is enthusiastic and full of great ideas to make the attendee experience memorable and enjoyable. We'll do our utmost to implement whatever additional amenities we can without losing our mission focus of accomplishing all of the boiler-plated tasks required of every national convention.

That being said, we're already getting negative feedback from people..."It's too far", "I hate the Wisconsin Badgers", "I got a DWI up there in 1987, so I'm never going back to Wisconsin", (yes, these are real) etc... Please keep in mind, we have a job to do, and its not an easy one. If you choose not to attend because you hate the Wisconsin Badgers (and I'm a NY transplant, so enough of that) or it's too far for you to travel, that's on YOU, not on US. We're sorry that we're way up here in the frozen tundra of the Midwest. Regardless, no matter where the National Convention happens, it inevitably becomes a very long drive for someone. If you choose to make that LONG journey from where ever you are, we will do our best to make it a wonderful experience for you and your families. Now...back to work...

Jeff Herne
2024 IPMS National Convention Chairman 
Region 5 Coordinator

IPMS 2024 Madison_Final_Ver.pptx 89.18 MB · 6 downloads

I was banned from Brazil for 22 years, but I’d go back.

No complaints about the distance from me.  This will be the closest Nats to our house in nearly ten years..just slightly farther than Columbus. It'll give us an excuse to finally take the ferry across Lake Michigan.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:14 PM, snelson said:

No complaints about the distance from me.  This will be the closest Nats to our house in nearly ten years..just slightly farther than Columbus. It'll give us an excuse to finally take the ferry across Lake Michigan.

Its an amazing trip. Pricey, but in August its about as close as you can get to being on the ocean. November on the other hand, well... 

Not much to say that you didn’t already say Jeff.  All you can do is put on the best convention you can and if folks aren’t willing to go the distance, as you say, it’s on them.  

Good luck with the preparation and I’m personally looking forward to making the trip!

Mike

Edited by MikeMoore

On 8/12/2022 at 5:20 PM, Jeff Herne said:

Its an amazing trip. Pricey, but in August its about as close as you can get to being on the ocean. November on the other hand, well... 

Yeah, I'm well acquainted with the Gordon LIghtfoot classic.  😉

SN

To paraphrase and modify Pareto's Principle, 90% of the complaints come from 10% of the commenters. Many of whom won't participate anyway.

My advice:

art-r-crumb-keep-on-truckin-poster-PS8865.jpg

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 2

The Mad City crew will put on a fabulous convention. I have been to the event site numerous time-has plenty of space and it's easy to get to. Downtown Madison is a very short drive from the site and you couldn't ask for better restaurants, pubs, etc. If you're a beer aficionado, New Glarus Spotted Cow on draft is a must. I'm planning to drive up from Tucson, AZ. If I can do it.........

Jeff, very well said! When I saw it was you who was chairing this convention I was even more disappointing in my situation as this is a convention I want to attend! A good part of that is because you are the convention chairman, and I know with your vision, drive and determination to do the absolute best job possible, this will be one outstanding convention.   Another reason, I remember when I was in high school in Minnesota and several of my classmates would make regular road trips to Madison for concerts and other events. The stories they told back then have always given me a desire to see the city, even after this whole time.

LOL! By this time, I might even reach my 1000 vehicle models milestone! Don't expect me to bring it though! LOL! I doubt I could afford to rent a big enough van, much less pay for the trip, given my current situation!