2024 Bid Submission

I have actually investigated doing a NOLA show, timed for a 2019/2020 show.

Are you ready for $140+ registration, $239 hotel room nights and $200+ vendor tables? After running the Convention center numbers (and it's not connected to any hotels, but there are several across the street), that's about what we figured we have to charge to cover a show at the Morial. The Pontchartrain is too small and restrictive, the Alarial is also too small and both aren't near downtown or hotels.

Mobile has a good space, lower costs and only 2 hours max away from great tour destinations: WW2 museum, Stennis, NMNA, USS Alabama... but NO CLUB!!

Pensacola (where I am) doesn't have a real Convention center, as the "old Admirals club" that runs the area doesn't want one here. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Highlander said:

Cafe du Monde for some beignets

Not the best place to get them, but all the tourists go there, so the best places are less crowded

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:30 AM, Highlander said:

My three choices would be:

Tahiti

Maui

London

In the unlikely event that none of these come about, then:

Dayton, OH

Boston, MA

New Orleans, LA

I can dream, can't I?

My three choices,

Dayton

P-cola/Mobile { or Ft Walton Beach/Destin(close enough for a FL Chapter to organize)}

Columbus,  Georgia

Good museums for non-show days.

I would love to see one in P'cola/Fort Walton! I have family there and would do everything possible to attend one of those.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 9:34 AM, jcorley said:

Not the best place to get them, but all the tourists go there, so the best places are less crowded

I know.  I much prefer the Cafe du Monde at the Riverwalk.  Same offerings and you get to sit watching Old Man River roll by.

Edited by Highlander

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a popular area of the country for a lot of shows is the upper midwest lately it seems. If I had to guess, i would say Chicago always a good central population center site, Madison Wisconsin for the same basic reason as Chicago just a little further north of it (plus nicer area) and Milwaukee just to add because I've never been there. 

I have been waiting to see if anyone else noted and would have commented on it, but so far no one has. Back on June 2 in this thread Joe Porche stated "So happy to at least had a little part in making this bid happen"  Now a quick check shows that Joe is the regional coordinator for S. CA and the northern part of NV. Could it be that we may be going back to CA by default? That is if no one else is bidding, a CA location that usually would not be competitive would, as the only bidder, be awarded the 2024 convention. Could it be Joe? Or am I putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5? But, if so, I'm up for it!

See you all in Omaha.

John, I took it as a past chairman giving advice, based on my own previous experience as vendor coordinator 2005. I've advised several groups with their bids.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, John Walker said:

I have been waiting to see if anyone else noted and would have commented on it, but so far no one has. Back on June 2 in this thread Joe Porche stated "So happy to at least had a little part in making this bid happen"  Now a quick check shows that Joe is the regional coordinator for S. CA and the northern part of NV. Could it be that we may be going back to CA by default? That is if no one else is bidding, a CA location that usually would not be competitive would, as the only bidder, be awarded the 2024 convention. Could it be Joe? Or am I putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5? But, if so, I'm up for it!

See you all in Omaha.

Nevada is doable for me, would have to think hard about going to California again.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Highlander said:

CA would be an issue for me.

Just make sure you have some debonder handy.  😁

Edited by AZRhino
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thank you DaSWO for having such confidence in So-Cal or Nevada recovering so quickly.   The club I helped out is far out of my region but the RC is a good friend of mine, so I lent support where I could.  I really do wish it goes for them. A truthfully beautiful community.  You will know soon enough but definitely not region 8

• Like 1

You know, we haven't done the pacific northwest yet.  Spokane/ Coeur d'Alene is are large enough to host such an event. Portland/Vancouver would be great to get around.  Seattle/Tacoma has plenty of options.  For many it would be epic drive, but certainly a great part of the county to drive through. 

On 7/16/2022 at 8:46 AM, PeteJ said:

You know, we haven't done the pacific northwest yet.  Spokane/ Coeur d'Alene is are large enough to host such an event. Portland/Vancouver would be great to get around.  Seattle/Tacoma has plenty of options.  For many it would be epic drive, but certainly a great part of the county to drive through. 

We did Seatac back in 1992 and I had a great time.

I don’t know if Seattle or Portland would be good choices due to current situations in either city. But perhaps some other Pacific Northwest locales that are more stable would be good.

• Like 1

So, there I was, TINS, talking to Lockhart at the Eduard booth around 1330 yesterday, about the big secret regarding the bid when the guy behind him says "My club in [censored] is bidding for 2024"

Dave just shakes his head andsays "well, you didnt hear it from me"

So much for the big secret.  It lasted all of about half an hour after the show opened!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jcorley said:

So, there I was, TINS, talking to Lockhart at the Eduard booth around 1330 yesterday, about the big secret regarding the bid when the guy behind him says "My club in [censored] is bidding for 2024"

Dave just shakes his head andsays "well, you didnt hear it from me"

So much for the big secret.  It lasted all of about half an hour after the show opened!!

This is hilarious!

And people still think we faked the moon landings but no one has talked. LOL

Must be from the D.C. area… 😜 Those folks can keep a secret… 

The 2024 show will be in Madison, WI. August 14-17.   I believe, based on the size of the venue and the references to Badgers, it will be at the University of Wisconsin or associated property

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EFGrune said:

The 2024 show will be in Madison, WI. August 14-17.   I believe, based on the size of the venue and the references to Badgers, it will be at the University of Wisconsin or associated property

Ok, now I have to go.  Got my Huskers hat and jersey all laid out.  Go Big Red!

Is 2024 going to be at Monona Terrace Covention Center that has the Hilton Attached? This would be an ideal trip north to escape the NOLA summer heat.

Alliant energy center in Downtown Madison.

Jim

• Thanks 1