2024 Bid Submission

On 7/2/2022 at 9:34 AM, jcorley said:

Not the best place to get them, but all the tourists go there, so the best places are less crowded

I know.  I much prefer the Cafe du Monde at the Riverwalk.  Same offerings and you get to sit watching Old Man River roll by.

Edited by Highlander

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a popular area of the country for a lot of shows is the upper midwest lately it seems. If I had to guess, i would say Chicago always a good central population center site, Madison Wisconsin for the same basic reason as Chicago just a little further north of it (plus nicer area) and Milwaukee just to add because I've never been there. 

I have been waiting to see if anyone else noted and would have commented on it, but so far no one has. Back on June 2 in this thread Joe Porche stated "So happy to at least had a little part in making this bid happen"  Now a quick check shows that Joe is the regional coordinator for S. CA and the northern part of NV. Could it be that we may be going back to CA by default? That is if no one else is bidding, a CA location that usually would not be competitive would, as the only bidder, be awarded the 2024 convention. Could it be Joe? Or am I putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5? But, if so, I'm up for it!

See you all in Omaha.

John, I took it as a past chairman giving advice, based on my own previous experience as vendor coordinator 2005. I've advised several groups with their bids.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, John Walker said:

I have been waiting to see if anyone else noted and would have commented on it, but so far no one has. Back on June 2 in this thread Joe Porche stated "So happy to at least had a little part in making this bid happen"  Now a quick check shows that Joe is the regional coordinator for S. CA and the northern part of NV. Could it be that we may be going back to CA by default? That is if no one else is bidding, a CA location that usually would not be competitive would, as the only bidder, be awarded the 2024 convention. Could it be Joe? Or am I putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5? But, if so, I'm up for it!

See you all in Omaha.

Nevada is doable for me, would have to think hard about going to California again.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Highlander said:

CA would be an issue for me.

Just make sure you have some debonder handy.  😁

Edited by AZRhino
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thank you DaSWO for having such confidence in So-Cal or Nevada recovering so quickly.   The club I helped out is far out of my region but the RC is a good friend of mine, so I lent support where I could.  I really do wish it goes for them. A truthfully beautiful community.  You will know soon enough but definitely not region 8

• Like 1

You know, we haven't done the pacific northwest yet.  Spokane/ Coeur d'Alene is are large enough to host such an event. Portland/Vancouver would be great to get around.  Seattle/Tacoma has plenty of options.  For many it would be epic drive, but certainly a great part of the county to drive through. 

On 7/16/2022 at 8:46 AM, PeteJ said:

You know, we haven't done the pacific northwest yet.  Spokane/ Coeur d'Alene is are large enough to host such an event. Portland/Vancouver would be great to get around.  Seattle/Tacoma has plenty of options.  For many it would be epic drive, but certainly a great part of the county to drive through. 

We did Seatac back in 1992 and I had a great time.

I don’t know if Seattle or Portland would be good choices due to current situations in either city. But perhaps some other Pacific Northwest locales that are more stable would be good.

• Like 1

So, there I was, TINS, talking to Lockhart at the Eduard booth around 1330 yesterday, about the big secret regarding the bid when the guy behind him says "My club in [censored] is bidding for 2024"

Dave just shakes his head andsays "well, you didnt hear it from me"

So much for the big secret.  It lasted all of about half an hour after the show opened!!

• Haha 1

Must be from the D.C. area… 😜 Those folks can keep a secret… 

The 2024 show will be in Madison, WI. August 14-17.   I believe, based on the size of the venue and the references to Badgers, it will be at the University of Wisconsin or associated property

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EFGrune said:

The 2024 show will be in Madison, WI. August 14-17.   I believe, based on the size of the venue and the references to Badgers, it will be at the University of Wisconsin or associated property

Ok, now I have to go.  Got my Huskers hat and jersey all laid out.  Go Big Red!

Is 2024 going to be at Monona Terrace Covention Center that has the Hilton Attached? This would be an ideal trip north to escape the NOLA summer heat.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, jcorley said:

So, there I was, TINS, talking to Lockhart at the Eduard booth around 1330 yesterday, about the big secret regarding the bid when the guy behind him says "My club in [censored] is bidding for 2024"

Dave just shakes his head andsays "well, you didnt hear it from me"

So much for the big secret.  It lasted all of about half an hour after the show opened!!

That's funny!  I'm sure there are others knew earlier than that though. 😄

The facility has nothing to do with the UW! It is not located on campus. It is a short distance from downtown Madison. 
It should be a really good convention.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's everything y'all need to know pertaining to Madison's 2024 Nats at this point. We are still a long way off, although there's much work to be done between now and then. 

This is, of course, Mad City's first National Convention. The clubs in the region are excited, and the team is enthusiastic and full of great ideas to make the attendee experience memorable and enjoyable. We'll do our utmost to implement whatever additional amenities we can without losing our mission focus of accomplishing all of the boiler-plated tasks required of every national convention.

That being said, we're already getting negative feedback from people..."It's too far", "I hate the Wisconsin Badgers", "I got a DWI up there in 1987, so I'm never going back to Wisconsin", (yes, these are real) etc... Please keep in mind, we have a job to do, and its not an easy one. If you choose not to attend because you hate the Wisconsin Badgers (and I'm a NY transplant, so enough of that) or it's too far for you to travel, that's on YOU, not on US. We're sorry that we're way up here in the frozen tundra of the Midwest. Regardless, no matter where the National Convention happens, it inevitably becomes a very long drive for someone. If you choose to make that LONG journey from where ever you are, we will do our best to make it a wonderful experience for you and your families. Now...back to work...

Jeff Herne
2024 IPMS National Convention Chairman 
Region 5 Coordinator

IPMS 2024 Madison_Final_Ver.pptx

• Like 5

My wife is actually thinking she'd like to come - she's heard lots of good things about that area of the country. I've never been to Wisconsin so it'll be a first for me. 

As for it being too far - well, that's true of anywhere for a lot of people, but them's the breaks. Just about anywhere WE want to go is one plane change away nowadays, and we aren't letting that be our excuse for not going. As I'm not intending to enter anything in the contest, it's a non-issue for me - I'll save all my entries for the next time Phoenix hosts....! 😁

2 hours ago, Jeff Herne said:

"It's too far", "I hate the Wisconsin Badgers", "I got a DWI up there in 1987, so I'm never going back to Wisconsin"

Wah... can't please everybody. And what does the University have to do with this?! Does that mean we can't ever do a national in Ohio again or Alabama? (Lots of people hate the Tide and Buckeyes)

Keep track of those who a whining and see if they register

20 hours ago, Jeff Herne said:

Here's everything y'all need to know pertaining to Madison's 2024 Nats at this point. We are still a long way off, although there's much work to be done between now and then. 

This is, of course, Mad City's first National Convention. The clubs in the region are excited, and the team is enthusiastic and full of great ideas to make the attendee experience memorable and enjoyable. We'll do our utmost to implement whatever additional amenities we can without losing our mission focus of accomplishing all of the boiler-plated tasks required of every national convention.

That being said, we're already getting negative feedback from people..."It's too far", "I hate the Wisconsin Badgers", "I got a DWI up there in 1987, so I'm never going back to Wisconsin", (yes, these are real) etc... Please keep in mind, we have a job to do, and its not an easy one. If you choose not to attend because you hate the Wisconsin Badgers (and I'm a NY transplant, so enough of that) or it's too far for you to travel, that's on YOU, not on US. We're sorry that we're way up here in the frozen tundra of the Midwest. Regardless, no matter where the National Convention happens, it inevitably becomes a very long drive for someone. If you choose to make that LONG journey from where ever you are, we will do our best to make it a wonderful experience for you and your families. Now...back to work...

Jeff Herne
2024 IPMS National Convention Chairman 
Region 5 Coordinator

IPMS 2024 Madison_Final_Ver.pptx 89.18 MB · 6 downloads

I was banned from Brazil for 22 years, but I’d go back.