2024 Bid Submission

Apparently, everything is secret and we aren't supposed to even ask....

I'm still waiting for the "Details will soon be made available to the membership online." to be made available. Do we have to wait until after Omaha?

3 hours ago, jcorley said:

Apparently, everything is secret and we aren't supposed to even ask....

I'm still waiting for the "Details will soon be made available to the membership online." to be made available. Do we have to wait until after Omaha?

James - No secrets.  See the January eBoard minutes for the rough committee task assignment.    Committee was formally established at the April meeting

Edited by EFGrune
typo
  • Like 1

Sure, Ed, as I quoted the minutes that should be obvious. How soon is "soon"?  (and the biz meeting wouldn't be an online announcement.)

Dave, that may be the "standard procedure," but it has never been deliberately kept secret by the EB before, except for the last minute "surprise" bids we've gotten. There may be such a procedure now in the EBOH, but it wasn't before and the established precedent has been to not keep the membership uninformed.

When we have more than one bid, the suspense would be created by wondering which bidder would be awarded the convention. Hence, while the bid presentations could be witnessed by any IPMS member who attended the meeting (held after the business meeting Saturday morning), the winner of course was not announced until the awards banquet. 

However, in the case of only one bid, the “winner,” as it were becomes apparent at that Saturday morning meeting, being the only presentation.

I regularly attend both the business meeting and the bid presentation(s). If the E Board decides to reveal the bidder before the Saturday of the show or not, that is their prerogative. I vote for a little mystery until the show.

I’m a big boy. I can be patient.

Nick Filippone, IPMS #969

• Like 1

@JClark, correct, they are appointed positions. Myself, Rob Booth, Len Pilhofer, and Mark Persichetti serve on the NCSC. The initial members (Mark was asked in May) were noted in the Q2 board minutes found here.

@jcorley, no secrets, high level context was provided in the Q2 board minutes, but we do owe the membership more information. The charter was approved, but it hasn't been released yet. We've been working hard in the background to finalize everything, it's just delayed due to competing priorities. The NCSC has already supported multiple calls with potential bidding clubs and actively supports the club that submitted a bid for the 2024 convention. 

Again, no one is trying to hide anything from the membership. I'll publish the NCSC charter prior to the National Convention. 

*Also forgot to mention we'll be hosting a seminar on the bid process and NCSC in Omaha, stop by at 2:30pm on Thursday for 'Meet you E-Board Members/Bid Process for a National Convention'

If anyone has any questions feel free to message, email (ipmsusa2ndvp@ipmsusa.org), or call me. I'll also be at Nats and happy to chat. 

13 hours ago, jcorley said:

Sure, Ed, as I quoted the minutes that should be obvious. How soon is "soon"?  (and the biz meeting wouldn't be an online announcement.)

Edited by bonanf35
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback @jcorley. We're in unchartered waters here; this is the first time (I believe) that only one bid has been submitted for a national convention. 

To add some excitement, we the Eboard, have been pretty tight on communications around the bid details. The Nats are 22 days away when everything will be revealed.

If you have questions feel free to reach out directly to me or any other Eboard member. There's no agenda by the Eboard to keep members uninformed, we're always striving for increased transparency (our detailed meeting minutes are one example).

Are you going to Nats? If so, lets catch up. 

13 hours ago, jcorley said:

Dave, that may be the "standard procedure," but it has never been deliberately kept secret by the EB before, except for the last minute "surprise" bids we've gotten. There may be such a procedure now in the EBOH, but it wasn't before and the established precedent has been to not keep the membership uninformed.

John, I will be there. We can talk about the steering committee, bidding process and the blue/gold team idea.

I remember one year while I was on the EB when there was one announced bid by a particular club in the SE (name withheld, I will tell you in person or on IM) in the early spring . The announcement of their bid encouraged two other clubs to bid, with much better bids - one of which was accepted. That particular situation is a great example of why we never hid the details in the past. This is the first time I can remember since the advent of the old message board (late 80s-early 90s) there not being sunshine involved with bidding teams.

In short, yes. 

The 2nd VP serves as the chairman of the committee and the NCC representative is delegated to the NCC Chief Judge. I could be retained on the committee if the new 2nd VP wants me to. The committee composition is determined by the 2nd VP. 

If interested in learning more, stop by our seminar or catch me at the Nats. 

1 hour ago, JClark said:

Thanks John

2 questions, is your position and Mark's position on the NCSC dependant upon both of yours positions? So once you and Mark leave your posts get filled by the new Head judge and 2nd VP or you guys stay on? 

Thxs

Jim

Edited by bonanf35

I just love this..... 2 pages of "people in positions" (the new "steering" committee, eboard members, etc.) telling us how open they are and how they owe the membership info, only to STILL not have divulged who is bidding for 2024 and where it will be held, which was the initial question.

How about this?

DEAR MEMBERS: we only have ONE club bidding for the 2024 Nats at the Omaha show. And, since it's such a late bid, we cannot even use it try to solicit competing bids from any other club anywhere who think they might actually attract more people. SO, THIS IS THE BID: (Place, Club, Dates). We will be suspending the usual dog and pony "bid presentation" at our business meeting because it's a waste of time and instead will be simply handing out their promo info to any and all interested in the details. We want to sincerely thank (insert bidder's name) for stepping up to help IPMSUSA continue with the tradition of holding a NATS every year barring a national pandemic. We're sure they will be GREAT hosts! IPMSUSA will be standing behind them 100% to help make sure that the members who are able to go to (insert winning place) in 2024 have the usual rip-roaring time.

On second thought.....Naaaaaaahhhh....we'll just make everyone wait til the business meeting 'cause we can!

Thanks!.................................... For nuthin'!

Gil Hodges, #10803, 45yr continuous member, former RC-11, attendee of 30+ NATS, retired Senior Nats Judge, and '97 Nats Contest Coordinator

So PLEASE don't try to tell me I don't know what it takes to put on a NATS/set up a Nats/organize a NATS/bid on a NATS or there's a "good reason" to not publish WHO and WHERE the 2024 Nats will be held NOW!

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 2

I wish I were going. I have always wanted to know how to set up a bid for the Nats. This next Nats will have a seminar on how to prepare a bid for the Nationals on a year I am unable to go due to finances etc. I don't ever see myself attending another one for many more years either due to these circumstances. Well, good luck to the club bidding for 2024, I hope it all goes well for you.

Hi Mark,

I can't promise we'll be able to record it, but I'll definitely provide any content shown during the seminar to you following the show. Also happy to connect offline and discuss any aspect of the National's bidding process. 

Cheers, John

16 minutes ago, Mark Deliduka said:

I wish I were going. I have always wanted to know how to set up a bid for the Nats. This next Nats will have a seminar on how to prepare a bid for the Nationals on a year I am unable to go due to finances etc. I don't ever see myself attending another one for many more years either due to these circumstances. Well, good luck to the club bidding for 2024, I hope it all goes well for you.

Good to know John. I am mostly curious as right now the core of members who want to host is still small. Knowledge is power so they say...

Besides, at this rate, the only way I'll ever be able to attend a Nationals is if we host it!

Feel free to email me also Duke! I'll be glad to answer any questions you have about the machinations and work involved in just deciding IF you can to want to try to host a Nats. It's actually MUCH easier now that IPMSUSA has taken the lead (as they should) for much of the Nats for registration, the awards show, and financially. But, there's still a LOT to be considered for any club thinking they want to host that shindig!

Gil :cool:

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

My three choices would be:

Tahiti

Maui

London

In the unlikely event that none of these come about, then:

Dayton, OH

Boston, MA

New Orleans, LA

I can dream, can't I?

New Orleans in August?? Not unless you want a bunch of modelers sitting on Bourbon street swilling down Hurricanes, Sazerac's and Mint Juleps to try to beat the heat!  Hmmmm, yea, ok, I'm down with  New Orleans!  Oyster bar instead of a banquet.  Do we need to bring a model!😉

The NCSC is the first step for investigating that process. There are many factors that need to be evaluated (one of the most important aspects is consideration for the same local support and likelihood of burnout). 

Stop by our seminar at 2:30 on Thursday to learn more and present your feedback/recommendations. We can also discuss this over a beer, likely multiple now with everything we have to cover. :)

14 minutes ago, JClark said:

I have always thought it prudent to have a separate National convention committee that was fully in charge of the Convention with the local hosts and membership providing local manpower . And also picking 3 locations across the country with proven track records of hosting. Problem is the manpower issue then is thrust upon those 3 locations. Another problem with locations is facilities that can accommodate a low volume turnout people wise for the space we need. 

8 hours ago, PeteJ said:

New Orleans in August?? Not unless you want a bunch of modelers sitting on Bourbon street swilling down Hurricanes, Sazerac's and Mint Juleps to try to beat the heat!  Hmmmm, yea, ok, I'm down with  New Orleans!  Oyster bar instead of a banquet.  Do we need to bring a model!😉

If we have to give up something, I'm suggesting the model.  Breakfast at the Camellia Grill, hit up the WWII Museum, down to Cafe du Monde for some beignets, and then to the bars.  Greatest Nats ever.

Edited by Highlander

I have actually investigated doing a NOLA show, timed for a 2019/2020 show.

Are you ready for $140+ registration, $239 hotel room nights and $200+ vendor tables? After running the Convention center numbers (and it's not connected to any hotels, but there are several across the street), that's about what we figured we have to charge to cover a show at the Morial. The Pontchartrain is too small and restrictive, the Alarial is also too small and both aren't near downtown or hotels.

Mobile has a good space, lower costs and only 2 hours max away from great tour destinations: WW2 museum, Stennis, NMNA, USS Alabama... but NO CLUB!!

Pensacola (where I am) doesn't have a real Convention center, as the "old Admirals club" that runs the area doesn't want one here. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:30 AM, Highlander said:

My three choices would be:

Tahiti

Maui

London

In the unlikely event that none of these come about, then:

Dayton, OH

Boston, MA

New Orleans, LA

I can dream, can't I?

My three choices,

Dayton

P-cola/Mobile { or Ft Walton Beach/Destin(close enough for a FL Chapter to organize)}

Columbus,  Georgia

Good museums for non-show days.