2024 Bid Submission

Hi All,

I'm pleased to report a bid for the 2024 National Convention was submitted.

It will be evaluated by the Eboard and details will be shared at the National Convention in Omaha.

Thank you all who have reached out and supported the current bid cycle. 

See you in Omaha!

Cheers,

John

• Like 4

Woohoo 

So happy to at least had a little part in making this bid happen.  Can't wait to get to Omaha and help Scott Hackney and his crew pull off an excellent 2022 show.  Looking forward to a big fat steak too.

See you in Omaha

Joe Porche'

RC#8

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, josephporche said:

So happy to at least had a little part in making this bid happen.  Can't wait to get to Omaha and help Scott Hackney and his crew pull off an excellent 2022 show.  Looking forward to a big fat steak too.

See you in Omaha

Joe Porche'

RC#8

Joe, I was back in Lincoln for a ball game in September.  Visited a few of my old favorite steak houses.  They were all good, but The Drover https://droverrestaurant.com/  is the second best steak I have ever had.  Being a Nebraska farm boy,  I have eaten a lot of steaks in my 72 years so that is saying a lot.  If you are interested, the best steak was a Kobe steak in Japan, but that is a very long drive. 😉

4 hours ago, MRechlicz said:

How does the “Drover” compare with the “Brothers Sebastian” restaurant, in price and quality of the meal?

Mike

I couldn't comment on that.  I have never been to Brothers Sebastian.  My suggestion, they are less than 5 miles apart.  Dine at both and I am sure you will get a fine piece of beef at both. Omaha is a real center of all things beef.

How I came to know about the Drover was that several of our local Uber drivers said it was the best.    I can't disagree with them.  Outstanding steak.  What I do know is that Drover has absolutely top quality meat and a whiskey sauce that is most enjoyable.  

If you do choose the  "Both" option, let me know what you think!

• Like 2

Have to agree....especially if there's only ONE bid...it's not like we'll have any other choice. The only reason for holding back is if the "concreteness" of their bid is still setting, and they don't want to announce it in case their ability to host falls through at the last moment.

Gil :cool:

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your questions. We're following the process where the initial bid is evaluated by the Eboard, presented to the Eboard at the National Convention, and announced at the awards ceremony.

I appreciate your interest and stay tuned for more details. 

21 hours ago, jcorley said:

Why the secrecy? This will be the first time in years (or ever?) the bidding group has been kept from the membership.

I'm guessing they don't want to scare them off. LOL!!🤣

• Haha 1

In another hobby, which features an annual convention, the national headquarters had to step in and sponsor 2021's annual convention .... due to no bidders.  They did it virtually.  I have no idea how successful it was, though national claimed success.  2020 was slipped to 2022.  The national headquarters also sponsored the 2019 convention ... no bidders ... which they did as a cruise out of Florida.

The national headquarters first move was to ask my club, which was committed to sponsor the nationals in 2020 to move it up a year to 2019.  We declined.  With the impact of COVID, we slid our nationals to 2021 and then again to 2022.  During that period we were asked to move back to 2021 from 2022.  We declined...it was possible, but the workload would have been extraordinary.

To my knowledge, there is no bidder for next year.  Which leaves it in the national organization's hands.

Can you share details on the B/G idea? First I've heard of it. 

16 hours ago, jcorley said:

It may REALLY be time to implement the Blue/Gold National Committe idea proposed 15-20 years ago.

Back about 2006 or 7 there was an idea floated about have two standing committees with the key people needed to run the Nationals: Convention. Chair, Vendor Chair, Seminar Chair and Treasurer/Registrar. The treasury got taken over by the EB and national trophy package was offered... and that's about all the idea produced in the end. 

The idea was that local clubs would express an interest, then if chosen would supply most of the local manpower, including a facility coordinator as a go-between for the EB. One team would run even years, the other odd. This idea has merit facing a lack of bidders and local clubs unwilling or unable to invest the thousands of man-hours needed to plan a national convention. A permanent vendor chairman could even be implemented for a smooth year-after-year operation with largely the same vendors.

Thanks for the context James. This sounds very similar to the National Contest Steering Committee we just established. 

15 hours ago, jcorley said:

Back about 2006 or 7 there was an idea floated about have two standing committees with the key people needed to run the Nationals: Convention. Chair, Vendor Chair, Seminar Chair and Treasurer/Registrar. The treasury got taken over by the EB and national trophy package was offered... and that's about all the idea produced in the end. 

The idea was that local clubs would express an interest, then if chosen would supply most of the local manpower, including a facility coordinator as a go-between for the EB. One team would run even years, the other odd. This idea has merit facing a lack of bidders and local clubs unwilling or unable to invest the thousands of man-hours needed to plan a national convention. A permanent vendor chairman could even be implemented for a smooth year-after-year operation with largely the same vendors.

Would the members of the steering committee be actually running the show? That was the goal with this suggestion: consistent show management year after year