Kinetic E-2C Info

jcorley

KIN48013.JPG

Here is what the Pre Sell sheet has to say:

The Grumman E-2 Hawkeye is an American all-weather, aircraft carrier-based tactical Airborne Early Warning (AEW)

aircraft. The twin turboprop aircraft was designed and developed in the 1950s by Grumman for the United States Navy as a

replacement for the E-1 Tracer. The original E-2C, known as the Group 0, became operational in 1973 and has been through

several upgrade programs since then. Kit consists of over 180 parts with markings for VAW-112 Golden Hawks (Cartograf

decals). Completed kit measures over 14" long with a wingspan of over 20"!

Based on the 4 digit BuNo, the aircraft can only be 164495, airframe # A158 which was an E-2C Group II, one of a batch of 36 ordered, of which only 12 were completed for the USN, 3 for the JMSDF and the remaining 21 were cancelled. The aircraft was delivered in 1994 (if my research is correct) and has since been converted to a E-2C+ (nearly a Hawkeye 2000 upgrade). It also opens up the market for a flood of new decal sheets!

This is good, because the model is representative of a late service E-2C and should be easily converted to a group I or E-2C+ with a few aftermarket parts. Hopefully, the other variants will be issued soon, everything from a Block 0 W2F-1 (E-2A) to the proposed "Greyhound 2000" replacement COD aircraft.

The SRP is $94.95 - not too steep, as this is a big plane. I don't know if it will have folding wings or not, but it would be a nice option for those with limited space.

$100....gives one pause for thought. But then again, it's 1/48th and never produced in that scale previously. Hope IPMS gets a copy for review. I'd like to read about the kit before dropping some big bucks.

$100....gives one pause for thought. But then again, it's 1/48th and never produced in that scale previously. Hope IPMS gets a copy for review. I'd like to read about the kit before dropping some big bucks.

I agree but, Tamiya 1/48 Vipers arre pushing $70.00 and Hasegawa 1/48 Hornets near $80.00

I wonder how long between the "pre-order" and the actual release of the kit? I guess my CollectAire Hawkeye just moved up near the top of the to-do list!

GIL :smiley16:

It's due in November... better get busy on the CA kit!