Alclad is coming out flat

Sprayed some Alclad tonight and it came out flat! I’ve never had this problem before. Sprayed over gloss black (Aluminum 101 and Airframe Alum 106)and it is very flat. 
Airpressure  at about 15-20 psi. Does Alclad go bad, it is about 1 year old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Those particular colors due end up flat in my experiences with them. A lot flatter than chrome, if you put too much paint, they seem to be flatter also. It is a fine line between just right and adding 1 more coat turns them flat. Adding a clear coat will change the look also, it's trial and error till you get your technique down.  As long as the solvent hasn't evaporated, age hasn't affected any of my Alclad, some of mine are 5-6 years old and still work fine.  All I can suggest is to do the very thin coats and slowly work up to the look you're going for. If you put that "one more coat will do it" it will ruin the look of depth from the black undercoat.  Don't know if it helps much, Alclad can be finnicky to get the look right, temp, humidity etc. all play a part in the final finish.

Good luck,

Dave

My experience with Alclad is that it needs to be MISTED on in several fine coats. You do that, allowing it to build up until you have the coverage and "luster" you desire. You cannot spray it on in a "wet coat" like most other paints or it simply will not have the metallic luster it's meant to replicate.

I've never had it come out truly "flat", but i have had it look more like aluminum paint instead of a NMF if I sprayed it on too heavily at one time.

By the way, if your airbrush or spraying habits make "misting coats" troublesome for you, then give the AK Extreme Metallics a try. They do not NEED a primer coat (but it doesn't hurt either), they are maskable, they dry as fast as Alclad, and they CAN be sprayed in a more normal manner compared to Alclad.

Hope this helps!

Gil :cool:

I second Gil's recommendation for AK Extreme Metallics. They are magnificent paints that have finally allowed me to have a bare metal finish worthy of the name.

• 4 weeks later...