Palmer/Life Like/Encore 1/12 Gatling Gun

Ron Bell

This kit's molds originated in 1961 and have been passed down through several manufacturers. The one I started with was a LifeLike kit. It's molded in grey and brown styrene with a short piece of brass(?) chain. It's incredibly inaccurate and has lots of flash, mold seams and sink holes all over it. But I wanted a desk model not a museum piece, so accuracy wasn't a top concern. The trail had rows of really large, mushy looking rivets all over it and some lumps where handles should have been. The rivets were removed and replaced with SIG RC model aircraft rivets. The handles are from wire. One wheel had a HUGE sink mark right in the middle of the hub, so that was dealt with and a new nut made from plastic.The rims were extremely beveled to aid in getting the part out of the mold, so that had to be all sanded down and removed and new rims made from plastic strip. The magazine was hollow, so I had to fill in the center and removed the lumpy handle they provided and made a new one. The ends of the gun barrels were extended past the end cap by inserting plastic rod. I added the storage boxes on the the axle from scratch. Finally, a traversing spike locator was added to the back of the trail. This is the model before primer and is just sort of bodged together with some pieces that would not stay in place left off, so there are probably lots of mistakes yet to find and correct. 

image.thumb.jpeg.77aa14840b9eac99a04b9ed6373f12e1.jpeg

PXL_20220504_160151819.jpeg

PXL_20220504_160208687.jpeg

PXL_20220504_160239840.jpeg

PXL_20220504_160248088.jpeg

PXL_20220504_160258513.jpeg

I had that kit as a child; the model long ago assigned to a land fill.

That is quite a re-build !

More accurately a near complete a scratch build.

Conjures up memories of Rooster Cogburn or the Outlaw Josey Wales cranking the feed mechanism.

I'm looking forward to seeing the completed model.

Gatling Gun

Edited by cheveuxroux