Jump to content

1/48 Monogram Me-262 2-seater conversion


ghodges
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've had this 1/48 Missing Link resin conversion for the  Monogram Me-262A for decades to turn it into an Me-262B, and finally decided to build it! The conversion is simple and straight forward, only requiring the cutting down of the kit spine and the addition of the rear seater's cockpit tub. A very nice extended vacuform canopy is included, the nose radar "C" arms, as well as the seat and details for the rear cockpit. All in all, with the exception of drilling the radar arms to accept very fine wire radar antennas, this is an easy conversion.

The only other thing worth mentioning is I tried a new technique for the side splotches. Instead of fighting with my airbrush, I cut VERY small swatches of sponge, held them with tweezers, dipped them into paint, blotted them off on a paper towel, and then DABBED the splotches onto the model. I was quite pleased with the result and it was MUCH easier than trying to spray them on!

The model was rescribed and a brown sludge-wash applied. The markings are all from the Monogram kit, except for the black fuselage crosses. I didn't have ANY decals small enough to fit, so I made a stencil and sprayed the black crosses onto the sides. Anyway, happy to have this one built after it's sat in the stash since the 80s!

003.thumb.JPG.82d44a43f41fe42c24e13d438af11309.JPG

001.thumb.JPG.e367aa7883f03b5d9fa9c58ee2ff3f26.JPG

2110443065_001(2).thumb.JPG.d4aed8d2362bbab57c592a486726b4c7.JPG

222241374_001(3).thumb.JPG.231f4c6b43e4e7d94a7a1e926978bb3c.JPG

1026270048_003(3).thumb.JPG.1d63fea2f1b44e22502367d4b65e6a49.JPG

006.thumb.JPG.cf2a20f01ab8c68671adda6fa2a7f2a6.JPG

007.thumb.JPG.e021f1c23ded2a3ac5bb90afa423e6b9.JPG

009.thumb.JPG.ca51901103e268dfb78b761278a38d78.JPG

010.thumb.JPG.99dbd2877b62bea63e17f77e1408746a.JPG

Comments, critiques, and questions welcome, as always. Cheers!

 

GIL:cool:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

She turned out great. A really good idea to use a sponge to apply the paint. Nice results. I’ll have to try that sometime. Thanks for posting this.

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh wow! I do love those old Missing Link conversions. You did a mighty fine job with this conversion. 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nicely done. I hate vacu-formed canopies as I can never get them cut correctly or fitted into place. Your's looks great. As to the "splotches", try using those tiny "foam on the end of a plastic stick" things (don't know what they call them). They come in a blister pack hanging around the other modeling supplies. They should be just about the right size you need and having them on the "stick" makes them easy to use. Or if you need larger, try the cosmetics section for eye make-up applicators. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...