Wingnut Wings Sopwith Triplane

StuartMont

So I’ve decided to finally build a WWI plane for my collection.  I am close to the point where the instructions show interior rigging (see photo).  There was a great thread here about rigging biplanes but I am still at a loss.  The interior framing of this model is made up of incredibly thin parts and I do not see how to drill any holes to pass the rigging line though.  As usual, I was hoping that someone might have some words of wisdom.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stuart

2982F973-BEE1-402F-AC8D-999B2DC63047.jpeg

97918762-1E70-40F0-AB0C-5BACBC52439B.jpeg

I always recommend Wonder Wire (ceramic wire) since it can be easily cut to length, flexes into place, and is stiff enough to not need any heating to make it taut, especially for exterior rigging with longer runs. Lacking that, for those smaller interior runs I'd try stretching some sprue. Try to find some harder sprue (Hasagawa/Tamiya) as it'll yield stiffer stretched sprue than the softer kit sprues. The short runs needed for the interior should be able to be added using white glue, so no holes needed and (hopefully) no need to heat them to make them taut.

If you're not experienced or comfortable with stretched sprue, go to your local florist and ask for a handful of their thinnest floral wire.  It can be very easy to work with IF you can get it in thin enough sections. Lacking that, check your local hobby shop/store for very thin brass wire, usually sold in the RC/control line flying model areas. The drawback to the thin wire is that it can be easy to "kink" a section, making it useless.

Hope this helps!

Gil :cool:

Thanks very much for the reply Gil, it helps greatly. I have some homework to do.

BTW, I searched for Wonder Wire and could only find something by Playable Art, some kind of twisted/spiral wire. I’ll keep looking but is there a brand name I should look for?

Stuart

I bought my "Wonder Wire" from Precision Enterprises....don't be fooled by the name, this is a mom-pop business, and since I haven't ordered from them for a few years I don't know if they're still in business.

That said, IF they are, they are TOP NOTCH folks! I use the "6mil ceramic rigging fiber" that comes coiled in a bag (about 6ft worth)and costs about $10. It comes out perfectly straight and can be cut to length with a hobby knife (use eye protection!). This size should be useful for lots of rigging, but it might by a tad on the thin side for 1/32 scale flying wires. You might ask IF they have any thicker sizes.... (8mil? 10mil?).

You can call them at 802-885-3094, generally after 5pm and before 9pm. You MIGHT reach them now during the day...as I think one of them retired and is now home during the day.

I've searched for other sources of "ceramic wire", but so far this is the only source I've been able to find. If you're able to order some, let us know! I might want to order some more before I run out of my supply at hand!

Gil :cool:

I called Precision Enterprises today and the fellow was very nice.  He told me that there is 10-feet in a bag and the cost was $15 + around $5 shipping.  Given the 10-feet I only ordered one bag.  Unfortunately they only have the one size so it seems it may be a bit undersized for the 1/32 scale I am building..

Thanks for the reference,

Stuart