A Roman Warship Build I Finished At The End of January

EdCarr

Last year I purchased a kit from a manufacturer I never heard about.  It was an older kit...from the 60's or 70's by my guess.  The fits were good.  The plastic actually a bit brittle.  I feel I did a poor job with it however.  The reason I say so is that I feel I failed in painting the shields on the sides of the ship (there are only four different types of shields molded into the plastic so I chose four colors to paint them...that said...I feel I chose the wrong colors). Also, I really fouled up the rigging.  The rigging was provided with the kit which means it was inside the thing folded up on its cardboard carrier for decades.  I trimmed up all the rigging unlike these photos show, but the limpness and bent rigging still remains which I feel kind of ruins the model.  I have been hesitant to post pictures of this finished model because I do not feel it is really any good...but I figured I should post it anyway.  I finished the build at the very end of January.  The kit is by a Japanese company.  IMAI is the name of it.  I had never heard of it before this kit and build.  They also had a model of a Chinese Junk made by the same company at the hobby shop where and when I purchased the Roman Warship.  I almost bought that one, too, but I am glad I did not because I think I am finished with rigging.  I cannot stand it.   I have a Cutty Sark ship in my stash that has rigging and I have decided to trade it one day hopefully with some other modeler for any other kind of kit I might rather build.  But enough of all that... I actually did get some things right with this build.  Also, it is the first ship model I have ever built and it is rather small as one can see in one of the photos.  Here are the photos of my finished Roman Warship build:  

100_3934.JPG

100_3932.JPG

100_3973.JPG

100_3972.JPG

100_3991.JPG

100_3956.JPG

• Like 1

I really think that is an impressive model! I really love the wooden effect you got on the hull. The color trim is most exceptional, I commend you sir on a great model!

Thanks, Mark.  I appreciate the compliments 🙂 Give the manufacturer a good bit of credit for the detail in the wooden deck and sides of the hull.  All I had to do for the deck and the hull was to use a Tamiya rattle can to spray the hull and deck a wooden tan color, then I went over the deck with some Testors brown or light Brown enamel paint and wiped it away really quickly, using it as essentially like a sludge wash.  The paint got caught in the detail of the wood grain on the deck giving it the natural wood-like appearance.  I used brown colored pencils- burnt or dark umber colored pencils etc. on the hull numerous times and they worked well to catch the details of the individual planks of wood on the sides and bottom of the ship as well as on the sides of the ship just above the rows of oars.  The green paint is Testors enamel thinned and applied like a wash a few times where it is behind or under the yellow trim (which is also Testors enamel as well as yellow-colored  colored pencils), and I applied green paint with a toothpick in several layers on the sides of the ship just above the rows of oars, and I just painted it on with a regular paint brush where it is on the bow of the ship for ramming.  Yeah, I got some things right...I think the rigging not being so taut takes away from the successful completion of the model greatly, however.   

Excellent review of what you did painting wise. I took notes for future reference. Perhaps there is a way to tighten the rigging, I wouldn't give up yet.

Fantastic job once again!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, maybe I could use a different material for the rigging.  Maybe strip off the thread rigging that came with the kit which I used and use something else.  I don't know.  For now I will consider that model semi-complete, not quite on the shelf of doom.  🙂