Macchi C.202 Shelf-of-Doom rescue

Chris Bucholtz

I finished this baby January 2, after staring it in... 2002? It's a Hasegawa/Mister Kit mashup in 1:72 to depict a Serie VIII Macchi-built machine; the cockpit is Mister Kit and True Details resin with a Pavla seat with Eduard belts, and the wheel wells are mostly scratch-built. Mister Kit's photoetched gear doors were a pain to work with but ended up looking good. Missing details inside and outside the radiator were made with mesh, styrene strip and sheet and a lot of patience. The plane was painted with True North Africa mustard and light grey (matches for the Italian colors) and the camouflage was made with Mike Grant's "smoke ring" decals, which performed great (although they can be fragile). The markings for "Dai Banana!" came from a Sky Decals sheet and they were more persnickety than the smoke rings - Solvaset was my friend. The real secret weapon was the Valiant Wings monograph on the C.202, which answered many questions (questions that led it to go to the Shelf of Doom, perhaps?). 

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

• Like 5

Great save from the shelf of doom! That is one beautiful looking Macchi! Double kudos for successfully pulling off the smoke ring camo! 👍🏼👍🏼

• 1 month later...

Nice model! Being currently at war with this kit, I appreciate what it takes to make it look this good, LOL...

FWIW to anyone else working on the old 1/72 Hasey and Italeri C.202 / C.205 kits, there's some excellent new-ish aftermarket out there: PE belts, resin seat, exhausts, early unfiltered air intake, amazing 3D-printed late enclosed wheel wells, and landing gear complete with covers from Airone Hobby; filtered intake (and C.205 oil coolers) from Quickboost. Airone has also announced the future release of the Piaggio P.1001 propeller (also used on the C.200), which should help the looks immensely.

564A708D-EF56-4CD1-9A9A-3B87168CDEA9.jpeg

Edited by MDriskill

• 1 month later...