I am in Bastrop, Texas anyone near me?

dndrko

I picked up the hobby after+ 50 years away, I have Covid to blame. I had not built a model since I was maybe 14 or 15. The hobby was gotten very different and way more expensive. I can handle it. I mainly build WW2 aircraft, 1/48 scale. I used to frequent Facebook model groups but I had to quit FB. The groups were fine, I just could not handle the "community standards", whatever those are.

Welcome Donald to the Forums and welcome back to the hobby! Yes, there are quite a few interesting changes in the hobby. I'm still trying to get used to some of them. Your preference in building is very popular here, I am looking forward to seeing your work. We encourage everyone to post pics of their finished models as well as their works in progress. We are a great bunch of very helpful people so if you have any questions or need ideas, feel free to post and one or more of us will be there to help.

Welcome Donald!  There is a great group of modelers in Shreveport.  Their annual show is coming up on March 19th at LSU-Shreveport.   There should be a link on the IPMS contest calendar.  Great show and great vendor room.   My son and I come down from the Little Rock area almost every year.

Dave

Redfield, AR

Donald,

Welcome back to the hobby!  Most of us have had a similar journey.

I'm in the Alamo Squadron IPMS club in San Antonio.  We meet every first Thursday of the month at Jordan Ford.  For more details, please see our website.  We'd love to have you join us.  However, I realize that we are not that close to your location.  There are also strong model clubs in Austin (ASMS) and Houston (IPMS-Houston) and they have similar websites.  Also, on one of the recent Plastic Model Mojo modeling podcasts, someone in the College Station area was asking about starting a club there.  I'm sorry that I don't have any more details or contact information on that lead.

Best Regards,

Dana Mathes

Edited by Dana

Glad you're back building and here Donald! The hobby has changed and IS more expensive, but I think you'll also find (especially with so many nice 1/48 WWII kits) that you get a LOT of bang for your buck, and also an easier experience and better result with less effort compared to the kits you used to build long ago. Let us know how we can help you have more FUN!

Gil :cool: