1/32 scale F4-E

StuartMont

Nice looking build!  There are a few things you could do to it if I may suggest...

1) IF it's possible, carefully remove and reapply the star/bar on the RIGHT fuselage side...it's on upside down.

2) Remove the canopies, mask off all remaining clear plastic areas (nose, windshield, small side windows), and flat coat the entire model. Vietnam camo was generally pretty flat, especially after any time in service.

3) When you reattach the canopies, put them both at the same angle for aesthetic reasons

4) GENTLY bend the top pitot on the tail fin so it sticks out parallel to the spine of the aircraft (it's angled up a bit)

Great job on what I'm sure was a complicated build!

Gil :cool:

Gil,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on my build.  This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, ways to improve the finished product.

I will definitely make all of these changes where possible.  I’m not sure I can remove the decal but if not I’m hoping to find an exact duplicate to place on top of the existing one.  I have to find a way to fix it though, its disrespectful and I’m embarrassed to say that I never noticed this.  I’m going to go back and check my other models to see if I did this on any of those.

Looking at the overhead view you can see that I still need practice brush painting these huge models.  Is there a competition category for brush painting?

If anybody else has more comments they would be greatly appreciated.  I’m considering “next steps” and would love to know how the models would stand up.  For example, I know that the lack of weathering may be a negative but wonder about highlighting panel lines.  Is this a “necessity” for competitions?  

I promise you that I will not fall into the the “the bad” or the “the ugly” categories described in the current issue of the Journal 😀

Thanks again Gil!

Stuart

I like this very much, it is most unique with the clear nose. That is a fantastic idea. As for the mistakes, don't feel bad; I also missed most of them. Gill is a brilliant modeler who is always on top of things like this.

One thing I used to do when I was brush painting my models is to thin the paint a little. This allowed it to lay down more evenly as it dried. I also agree that this could use a dull coat on it. No, there's no category for brush painted models my friend. One idea one of my friends had for highlighting the panel lines: use a .02 size mechanical pencil on them, just before you seal it with a dull coat. Of course, you should spray a dull coat over it so as not to smear the panel lines. If you want smeared panel lines to reflect dust/dirt flying out of the seams, remember to brush from front to back to resemble the effect cause by airflow over the plane in flight.

That's all I have, I'm sure more experienced and masterful modelers will be along with some additional helpful advice.

Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions Mark.  I have tried several different brands of paint (and even brushes) to see if I can find the paint “sweet spot”.  Also, I do thin certain brands of paint according to recommendations I can find on the internet.  I only use acrylics and water for thinning.  Perhaps I need to invest in an airbrush 😀

BTW, the models you post here look pretty masterful to me!

Thanks again for all your help.

Stuart

You are most welcome Stuart! As for mine, I just "fake it till I make it"! LOL!

I do recommend an airbrush, it may feel difficult at first but after awhile you'll be wondering how you did without for all those previous years. Cut your teeth on a Paasche single action brush ans they are the easiest to practice on. They are excellent for getting a fine and smooth overall base coat. That also applies to clearcoats; both gloss and dull as well. Later when you feel comfortable with the basic use of an airbrush; you can try a double action airbrush. That does give considerable extra control and allows for better effects too. All it takes is practice and I'm still practicing myself as I struggle to get the best effects that others do on these Forums.

• Like 1

I‘ll start looking into a single action device but I have to figure out how to vent it.  My father-in-law used an airbrush for retouching photos and had quite a huge fan/vent system to get it outside.  I‘ll do some research on that matter.

Thanks Mark.