20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

noelsmith

I watched the recent BBC series of Around the World in 80 Days starring David Tennant as Phineas Fogg. 

In the closing scene he was sat with his 2 travelling companions in the. Reform Club, and was reading out from a newspaper about a mysterious sea monster attacking American shipping. 

Is this a hint that BBC may be making at a new 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea series?     I wonder?

BBC does War of the Worlds, Around the World in 80 Days, and who knows what else… US broadcast networks…? 

Of course I still love my Disney 20,000 Leagues, so I hope they don’t mess with that version of the story too much…

I too loved the Disney film and Harper Goff's rendition of the Nautilus that we are all familiar with.

But having read Jules Verne  there are a number of things that Disney left out or changed , so I would like to see a movie or series that is actually true to Verne's novel.

The BBC screwed up War of The Worlds by going too far from the original Wells novel but managed to get it in period unlike all the Hollywood offerings. It would be really good if someone like Peter Jackson did a true to story in period movie using the original music and Richard Burton's narration from Jeff Wayne's musical version of War of the Worlds. Most of us have heard the album, so I am surprised that no one has done a bit movie version of it.

I did watch the four part serious of War of the Worlds on one of my streaming services. I loved the first few episodes but felt the got the Martians wrong. I also was curious about the globes, as I thought the landing craft were tubes. My favorite scene was seeing the Royal Navy sitting offshore of the beach where the refugees were gathered. Watching them all start firing when the tripod appeared was a thrill!

I would love to see the "Around thew World in 80 Days" BBC version as I don't believe I've seen it. What a thrill it would be to see a great "20,000 leagues under the Sea" done proper!

2 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

I would love to see the "Around thew World in 80 Days" BBC version as I don't believe I've seen it.

FWIW .....The local PBS station has been broadcasting : "Around the World in 80 Days"

https://video.wttw.com/show/around-world-80-days/

Good special effects but the last episode is next week,

Unfortunately I never read the original Jules Verne novel .

Might be a good time as there are free copies available for download:

In English https://freeclassicebooks.com/Jules Verne.htm

In French https://www.beq.ebooksgratuits.com/vents/verne.htm

The specific French novels  : Around the World in Eighty Days   Le tour du monde en 80 jours   and  : Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea : Vingt mille lieues sous les mers

Edited by cheveuxroux

Mark, 80 Days has just finished airing here in the UK. I expect one of the stateside TV stations will probably soon get it on air. Also, try signing up to BBC IPlayer on your PC. I would imagine you may be able to stream it. I can stream it directly to my smart TV, but it may be different in the US. You might be able to download it onto a tablet or other device to then stream onto your TV. It you can get it this way it will be ad free. Incidentally you may be able to watch the BBC War of The Worlds in a similar way.

The IPlayer has lots of other stuff like documentaries, comedy, films, music and various series that have been shown on the BBC over here, all ad free.

Edited by noelsmith

• 2 weeks later...

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne is a good book.  I read it and gave it to my sister to read last year.  I felt that the descriptions were somewhat lacking (I could not necessarily picture in my mind's eye what Verne was describing), but the chapters were spaced out in like every ten pages or less for the most part, so I could read...set it down...pick it up and read a chapter or two then set it down...etc.  I got the book at a type of rummage sale fund raiser type thing but the book had a Wal-Mart type highlighted price thingy...for sale for like $1.99 or so...I am sure the book can be purchased in soft cover from the likes of Amazon or some such for a bargain.  It is a good way to spend some hours of a few weeks or so while reading.

Barnes and Noble published a book with all of Jules Verne's novels in the one volume.

A good read to have on your bookshelf.

• 5 months later...

Sorry, I found the book Verne's 20,000 leagues incredibly boring. Just a cataloging of various fish species interspersed with some non-action. I kept wanting something to happen, but it never did, Even the ending was boring. It was like he got tired of writing the story and just gave up. Maybe it was exciting in the 19th century, but it just doesn't hold up over time. Or it could just be me.