My M-41 Walker Bulldog Build From Last Year

EdCarr

This is my first tank build in a very long while.  I do not have any in-focus pictures of its rear, but I may add some to this post later.  I really enjoyed building this model.  It was fun and I loved weathering it.  I believe that was the part of this build that was the most fun.  I finished it around October of last year.  It is a Tamiya Kit.  1/35 Scale.  I know now to do better with mold and seam lines.  Also, I probably should have not have glued the machine gun in the position that it is in.  I should have let it point to the sky as it does when not being held.  Also, I did this build with the commander's hatch closed, as there was no interior detail whatsoever.  The kit does come with a commander and some infantry.  I am thinking of making a large diorama with the infantry and a 1/35 Tamiya Model Jeep I purchased late last year as well.  Ok, here are the pics!  Thanks for looking.

100_4003.JPG

100_4024.JPG

100_4002.JPG

100_4001.JPG

100_4004.JPG

100_4008.JPG

• Like 1

The classic Tamiya kit. You did this old girl up very nicely!

An awesome job on an old kit. I like the weathering that you did. For not building tanks for a long time, it’s obvious you have not lost any of your modeling mojo😜. Thanks for posting.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see this. I just picked one up from a guy at the local club meeting. Looking forward to the build. Any advice for a guy who builds the occasional armor model?

Edited by TheMongoose

Personally, I enjoyed weathering the model.  I used Tamiya Weathering Master tools- specifically the ones with rust, soot, and gunmetal.  Those would be Tamiya Weathering Master tools B and C.   I also used a graphite 4B artist pencil for a lot of weathering on edges.  The kit is a fun build.  It is the first tank model I built in my adult life.  The decals were easy to work with and I had no silvering problems with them.  I also used Tamiya Weathering Master tool A, specifically "mud", on the decals as well and no problems.  I used the Tamiya Weathering Master C-gunmetal- to kind of paint the muzzle of the main gun barrel.  I did not build the cloth where the tank's main gun meets the turret.  I simply did not worry about it, but if you build one with the cloth that goes on the turret then I give you a thumbs up 🙂 !   I also used a toothpick to paint the bolts of the road wheels and sprockets flat yellow from Testors a tiny drop of paint at a time.  I also used a silver colored pencil for weathering like around hatches' edges and what not as well as the graphite pencil.  I used Model Master's Olive Drab spray cans to paint the hull and turret before assembling them.  Also, I picked out different details with different hues of green Tamiya paints including Olive Drab (on the base of the antennas) and Olive Green (The fuel cans) and JA Green (The LMG ammo box).  All that said, I never dull-coated the finished model for fear of messing up the Tamiya Weathering Master effects.  I do not know if a dull coat messes with them or not, but I did not want to take the chance.  Maybe you could experiment with Vallejo acrylic environment effects.  I plan on using those for the most part on my current build- a WWI era British "Tadpole" tank.  I guess that is it...just have fun with it and do not for any reason ever use a napkin to soak up excess Micro Sol decal solvent 🙂 .  I made that mistake and had to pick out napkin parts stuck to my decal (the number 5 of 532) with an exacto blade and then went back over it with a white oil paint sharpie marker from Michael's.  Good luck and have fun 🙂 !   

• Thanks 1