Wrinkled decal removal?

afterburner

I have been working on a 1/48 Tamiya F4D-1 Skyray off and on for a year. I painted it with Gunze Mr. Color Lacquers and then decaled it. However, the 2 long stripe decals that are placed where the wing meets the fuselage are both wrinkled. I used repeated applications of MicroSet and even gave some Mr. Mark Setter a try to no avail. I have no idea why only those two chose to wrinkle, as the paint was the Mr. Color Lacquer which is a gloss paint. So the surface shouldn't have been the issue. I really don't want to strip the model and order new markings and start over, so my question is this:

If I were to tape the surrounding areas off very carefully and sand the two decals off of the paint, and then re-apply two new decals (or even paint them on) what do you think my chances of success are? I ask because I have yet to complete any model in 3 years of being 'back' to the hobby and I want to see this one through. The rest of it looks spectacular, if I may say so, and if I have to start all over again, I'm likely to chuck it against a brick wall. I'm so close I can taste it with this build and to be honest, I think Tamiya decals suck in general. They seem to be a wee bit thick.

All advice welcome and much appreciated!

Regards.

Jonathan,

You've suggested the only thing that I have found which "works for me".

Mask off the bad areas and sand with a lighter grit sandpaper removing all of the bad areas of the decals (OR the entire decal if it's a smaller one).

IF you can match the color of the decal, try to paint it first. I've done this in the past, and it works, but only if you can match the color (otherwise the touch up stands out even more)

I have also placed a second decal over the first, but I would do more sanding than just the touch up areas, as you may end up with a "really thick" area. Plus it's tough sometimes to get the second decal to line up perfectly with the first.

Best of luck!

Thanks Tim- I just need to see if the brass 'pair' are ready to make such an undertaking. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it sure looks it!

Thanks Tim- I just need to see if the brass 'pair' are ready to make such an undertaking. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it sure looks it!

Sometimes I'm able to pull a damaged decal off with masking tape. Just use a small, fresh piece of tape, rub it over the decal to be removed then pull it off. Usually a few applications will take the decal off. If it leaves tiny bits of decal behind they can be scrubbed off with a Q-tip dipped in Solvaset.

This doesn't always work, but its hard to screw things up any more by trying it.

Don

I agree with the sandpaper idea. I usually do restorations by beginning the process with a soaking bath in brake fluid (the model, not the builder) but that will take everything off the surface!!