Buying Overseas

nmertes

I'm not trying to start any arguments & would never shut out any of the stateside mail-order shops. Anytime I'm looking for PE or other add-on items that the stateside folks are either out of or don't carry, Hannant's in the UK is my go to shop. Their shipping is higher & it takes about 10 days to get to me here in AZ but, their prices are 20-30% less than stateside. My last order was almost $30.00 less than the shop I usually buy from. Shipping was $27.00. It was all Eduard & Res Kit items that the stateside shops have been out of for some time. I understand that the stateside shops have to pay customs to bring the the items in and I only order from Hannant's if I can't get it here.  Anybody else ordered from them?

Yes. I've ordered from Hannant's several times.  Because I can't get what I want from a US vendor.  Shipping time is seldom an issue for me and I'll pay for shipping from the UK if I can get what I want.  Pretty much like you.

Sticking with reputable places I don't see any worries with shopping overseas. I've regularly dealt with people/shops in Ukraine, Czech Republic, Japan and up until the troubles - Hong Kong.  Here's to hoping the Ukraine won't need to be added to the troubles column. And no I'm not trying to make this political. 😒

15 hours ago, nmertes said:

It was all Eduard & Res Kit items that the stateside shops have been out of for some time. 

Are you aware of the Eduard Bunny Fighter Club?

It gets you a 15% discount.

And buy $250 gets you free FedEx shipping, usually 3-4 days.

I go in with some of the local guys to get to the 250 easier sometimes.

Another overseas shop I've bought from that carries a lot of products not available here is the48ers.com.  They only deal in 48th scale products.  One of the brands they carry is Kasl Hobbies.  Excellent resin upgrades for a lot of kits.  I found them while looking for a recon nose for an F-5E kit.  My only complaint with their website is they don't offer a foreign currency conversion.

Hannant’s is my go-to shop for the items I’m interested in, mainly European kits and hard-to-find resin, photoetch, and decals that are slow to arrive in the U.S., if they arrive at all. I’ve also used Hobby Terra for the same reason. Service and turnaround from both is excellent. I’ve also occasionally bought from the Aviation Megastore (Luchtvaart Hobby Shop) in Amsterdam, but their shipping is very expensive although their service is excellent as well. My go-to U.S. vendor has been Dauntless Hobbies, doing business on eBay as Scott’s Model Workshop (seller i.d. “RebelAlpha). He also seems to have the stuff I’m looking for, and his service and turnaround times are excellent as well.